Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back home from the detail shop after getting Opticoat on my truck. Big thanks to TwoAlpha and others for clueing me in on this great product. I am thrilled with the results. When the GLA arrives next year it will be getting Opticoat just as soon as the striping is fully cured:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opti Coat question

Looks great! Is OptiCoat a type of wax?
according to their website, Optimum Polymer Technologies : Accelerate Into The Future | Optimum Polymer Technologies , it is:

Opti-Coat Pro Plus is an enhanced 2 step version of Opti-Coat Pro. The first step, Opti-Coat Pro, is a ceramic clear coating warrantied for 5 years with superior resistance to scratching, chemical etching, fading due to UV and provides outstanding release properties. Opti-Coat Pro Plus adds great gloss and slickness for a fantastic shine and long term paint protection.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's sounds like some really good stuff. Wonder if you can apply it yourself or if its better to get a shop to do it. If it truly lasts 5 years then that's a great investment to maintain paint quality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't know how it will hold up. Hopefully 5 years. So much depends on the environment. If your car is garaged it makes a big difference. Sitting in the sun in Arizona as compared to the mostly cloudy and cool days here in the Willamette Valley is a factor as well. Biggest problem around here is growing moss on the shady side. Fortunately that is easy to clean up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I get my new GLA 250 4matic, metallic black, I am considering installing a XPEL clear bra to the front part of the hood and then applying an Opti-coat PRO to the entire body. The clear bra is to minimize stone damages to the hood and the Opti-coat is to give extra protection to the paint. I hear these are the best products on the market.

Hope you can share your thoughts and experiences about the long term PROs and CONs of using these products.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope you can share your thoughts and experiences about the long term PROs and CONs of using these products.
I can't speak to the OptiCoat, but I'm looking into that option myself. Seems to be a great possible protection in the hot Texas sun.

However, I can attest that the clear bra application is a lifesaver. I have it on my Aston DB9 and would not drive the car without it. It has saved my paint from rock chips too many times to count. You can't even see that it is there unless you are looking for it and most people looking at the car never notice it. Mine was originally also applied to the headlights, but I removed it as I did not like the slightly dull look that it had over the domes. However, after a couple of years on the lights, it removed easily and the lights looked factory new. An amazing product indeed. Will definitely protect the front end of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.