Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
I have a 2017 Gla amg I found oil in air intake tube that connects from air box to turbo, is the normal?
this is not normal, but an issue I've heard of before. the cheaper plastic that makes up the air intake breaks down over time and cracks, causing oil to get in the air box. there may be a leak somewhere in the system as well. don't take my word for it though because i'm not a mechanical expert. I believe there are YouTube videos or threads on this forum on the topic.]
the issue described above may not be the same issue that you're having, you may need some new seals 馃Ν or a new intake if the current one is damaged

update: a quick google search revealed this; https://www.carparts.com/blog/why-is-there-oil-in-my-air-filter-housing-and-air-intake/ like I said before, could be a faulty seal in the turbo or the air system. id get this looked at immediately to save yourself time and money and prevent further issues down the road

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rama! I just need to take it off and look inside. I just hope it's not "blow-by" coming from the Turbo. It only has 40k on it and I'm the second owner and bought the car from Autobahn Mercedes in Belmont California a couple months ago.

Registered
Thanks Rama! I just need to take it off and look inside. I just hope it's not "blow-by" coming from the Turbo. It only has 40k on it and I'm the second owner and bought the car from Autobahn Mercedes in Belmont California a couple months ago.
Glad I can help! I found this on Google, https://www.carparts.com/blog/why-is-there-oil-in-my-air-filter-housing-and-air-intake/ the issue sounds like something on the more serious side. if you have warranty (which you probably do), the necessary repairs will be covered. Please consider adding your vehicle information to your page so that people can be of more help and other users with the same car can get help :)

Registered
250 or 45?

Is it dripping/pooling or just a little bit of build up? It is 鈥榖low-by鈥 but you鈥檙e upstream almost the entire way from the turbo there, that鈥檚 where the PCV/breather system vents in to from the crankcase. In a worst case scenario with this you鈥檇 probably pull code P052e, which points to a faulty PCV.. and they do tend to go at around 50k but can also last longer.. it鈥檚 one of those 鈥榯echnically a wear item but rarely talked about鈥 things because replacing them has turned from a $12 autozone part and an afternoon with a little know how, to a $2k+ dealer only job.

Best solution would be to install a catch can.. and there was some discussion in the forums early years on this subject you鈥檙e talking about and catch cans if you want to search up old threads but I don鈥檛 think the GLA really got any aftermarket support for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello AMGowner,

It's a 2017 45 with 40k on it. I'm pretty sure the rubber inlet has never been removed to be cleaned. There's a "little bit of pooling" and slight build up...
What would you recommend to clean it or should I just wipe it out with a towel?
I'm not pulling any codes at the moment. And I'll make sure I keep an eye on it moving forward!
Your thoughts?

Registered
250 or 45?

Is it dripping/pooling or just a little bit of build up? It is 鈥榖low-by鈥 but you鈥檙e upstream almost the entire way from the turbo there, that鈥檚 where the PCV/breather system vents in to from the crankcase. In a worst case scenario with this you鈥檇 probably pull code P052e, which points to a faulty PCV.. and they do tend to go at around 50k but can also last longer.. it鈥檚 one of those 鈥榯echnically a wear item but rarely talked about鈥 things because replacing them has turned from a $12 autozone part and an afternoon with a little know how, to a $2k+ dealer only job.

Best solution would be to install a catch can.. and there was some discussion in the forums early years on this subject you鈥檙e talking about and catch cans if you want to search up old threads but I don鈥檛 think the GLA really got any aftermarket support for it.
Hello AMGowner,

It's a 2017 45 with 40k on it. I'm pretty sure the rubber inlet has never been removed to be cleaned. There's a "little bit of pooling" and slight build up...
What would you recommend to clean it or should I just wipe it out with a towel?
I'm not pulling any codes at the moment. And I'll make sure I keep an eye on it moving forward!
Your thoughts?
the PCV failure is a known issue with the first generation GLAs. It鈥檚 a pretty expensive job and there are other threads which I鈥檝e posted on that go into depth of that problem. The website I鈥檝e linked says that PCV failure is a possible cause of the issue.

Chris, I鈥檇 advise you to get it checked by the dealer you bought to from and if it turns out to be the PCV see if they will cover or subsidize it given the car is only a few months old. I鈥檓 sorry to hear about your problem, hopefully it鈥檚 a seal or something small.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Whiterabbitt!

Well that's good to know, at least I'm not the only one in the whole GLA community that has this issue! I cleaned it out the best I could and now I'm just gonna keep an eye on it...
I was also informed by AMGowner that it could be the PVC and that's an easy fix! 馃槉

Attachments

Registered
If you want the PCV done, get your check book ready. My dealer wants about 3k for it, my indy about 2k. Ballpark figures from 2020. "cost" on the hardware is ~$800+, that I could see. Benz service docs at my indy say it's a 10 hour job.

PCV is a little different in the 45AMG, it's an octopus assembly, not a $5 valve.

Registered
Chris,
My experience is the same as you and whiterabbit, I have some oil collecting in the bottom of the intake tube. It is coming from the PCV hoses mounted to the top of the intake tube. I have a 2015 GLA45, purchased it two years ago with around 27k miles, now it has 48k miles. I also noticed this early on in my ownership. Now, I am not sure if this is supposed to happen by design because our engines (M133) have an oil separator as part of the PCV system. If you haven't already, download and look at the M133 engine information PDF that jimbo45 posted (post # 16) in this thread: (1) Cylinder 1 Misfire | Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum (glaowners.com) and see how the PCV system is set up and functions.
Generally speaking, when dealing with turbo engines, the fresh air intake for the PCV system can get oil in the intake tubing because when the valve cover becomes pressurized during WOT runs, air will flow from the valve cover and go into the fresh air supply line (normally after the filter and before the turbo) and take some of the aerated oil with it and deposit it into the intake tube. I am not sure how the oil separator works for our engines and if it is designed to prevent this from happening. In my previous turbo'd car (EVO IX), I installed a dual catch can system that had two separate catch cans, one for the actual PCV system that prevents oil from depositing directly into the inlet manifold, and the other for the fresh air breather system to prevent oil from going from the valve cover into the intake tubing. It would collect some (not a lot) of oil in the fresh air system.

Ironically, my car has been "chirping" at hot idle sometimes. It sounds like a bird is in the engine, on the passenger side of the engine, near the pullies, chirping every few seconds or so. I am afraid it is the dreaded crankshaft seal and possibly a PCV issue, but I am not sure. It didn't happen today but if it does happen again, I plan to remove the oil fill cap and see if it changes anything. My oil level (cold engine) is slightly below the full arrow, so it is not currently overfilled.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Sam.

Thank you for your all your valuable information! I cleaned out the intake tube pretty well. I'm going to check it once every 2 weeks to see If there's is any or an a excessive amount of oil, if so I will start to take action to solve for this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Whiterabbitt.

Good question... lol I just don't want oil in there. There's a very reputable high end performance shop in SF and they work on everything from Audi to Lamborghini's. I'll probably have them do a some sort of catch can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts