Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my oil after 2 weeks running the car. I had to add half a quart to bring it from 1/4 on the dipstick to 3/4.

I don't mind as this is a special engine. I'm just wondering what is typical of these M133 engines.

What are folks experiences?

Thanks,

·
Registered
113 Posts
While I can not speak to "typical", the Owner's Manual, page 293 says:

Engine oil
General notes
Depending on your driving style, the vehicle
consumes up to 0.9 US qt (0.8 liters) of oil per
600 miles (1,000 km). The oil consumption
may be higher than this when the vehicle is
new or if you frequently drive at high engine
speeds.

0.9 quarts per 600 miles equates to 10 quarts per 10,000 mile oil change interval.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Excuse me, 15 quarts per 10,000 miles.
Wow, what's it doing with all that oil? Maybe these are built in Iran or Saudi Arabia? I have a 2.0 Turbo Pontiac Solstice Coupe that has 290HP/325lbft and that direct injected, intercooled motor does not burn a drop of oil. Granted it's not boosted quite as much since it only sees 22psi max normally, not 26. I wonder if the GLA 45 motor uses more oil due to very high temps from the turbo? The oil consumption has to go somewhere if it's not leaking oil....

This motor is pushed, let me tell you. I've read where MB said the next version will be turned over to their racing team for input. 26 psi from this motor is a lot, and the power it produces is insane, the 2016 version at 375hp....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Checked my oil after 2 weeks running the car. I had to add half a quart to bring it from 1/4 on the dipstick to 3/4.

I don't mind as this is a special engine. I'm just wondering what is typical of these M133 engines.

What are folks experiences?

Thanks,
Also, make sure you are taking it easy during break in period, and change the oil soon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after 5 years, I never had to add oil in between oil changes ever again. It must have been just the factory fill was low.

·
Registered
121 Posts
None of the three GLA45's we have had have required any more than half a litre top up between factory scheduled changes after the first change. Our second car, a USA delivered vehicle, used the most..... 3 litters in the initial 10K miles (which was concerning before it too 'settled down'). Latest (Cdn 2018) used about 1.5 litres in the first 12K kms and now is well above "add" line after nearly 15K kms and a year (when prepaid maintain plan change was last due at about 42K kms). We carefully follow the break-in instructions.
WTS, I hear of cars that consume a litre|quart every 1500 kms | 1000 miles and MB Service advisors tell them it is "normal"> IMHO, 'tis not and not what I was told by MB dealer in Florence who services our 2015 GLA45.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts