Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
To make it a fair test...... Another person will need to do the same test for a "regular" GLA250.

In the case of the AMG (at least in my previous V8 SLK55 AMG), there are two drain bolts. One for the oil pan and the other for the sump pump (where up to another 2 quarts or so are bidding).

IN the MB official shop mannual it called for AMG models to drain by the oil pan drain bolts, but for "regular" non-AMG models it called to "suction it out."

I used the Topsider to change Pam's oil on the 45 today (at 5K miles). The oil was dark and ready for a swap. I would not be willing to take these motors to 10K between changes. On another note, cutting off the filter ends and laying it out showed no contamination.

The Topsider started sucking air after 20 minutes with just under 5 quarts removed.

I then pulled the bottom cover and drained from the oil pan. I let it go for two hours ... it dripped until then. Another 1.75 quarts came out.

Oil changes are about dilution. You get as much of the old oil out as you can and dilute the rest with new oil.

I put 7 quarts back in to get to half way on the dipstick. I believe this was very close to 100% dilution. If I had done vacuum removal only I would have added just over 5 quarts, diluting to 5.25 / 7 or about 80%. I don't see that as acceptable.

I have no reason to believe the same isn't true on the 250 motor.

Vacuum removal was easy and I can see why the dealer would do an oil change this way. But I won't be extracting from above in the future.

I took photos but it appears that I still can't load them. If this changes in the future I will post them (along with my carbon fiber door lock pins) at that time.

· Registered
85 Posts
I realize that one can ask the MB DEALER any and everything. But the fact remains that in MOST cases they DO NOT want to tie up the car lift for any longer than needed. Hence your MB MORE THAN LIKELY WILL NOT BE on the lift at all during an oil change.

Plus it is just a matter of fact that the person changing your oil in MOST DEALERSHIPS (even a high end one. BC only "one person" needs to be certified by the manufacturer) is usually the least experienced and lowest paid monkey wrench in the entire shop. So even if your car is up on the lift getting oil drained from the bottom, the more experienced techs or anybody else wanting to use that lift will TELL your guy to get your car OFF the lift NOW!!! I've seen it happen time and time again when the pressure of time/revenue constraints with EVERYTHING tracked in the shop.

Next time you are at a MB, PORSCHE, JAG, RR OR XXX DEALERSHIP.......ask if the "Certified Master Tech" by manufacturer is in today. You may be surprised to find that there is just ONE PERSON. So question is:. When that person is off or goes on vacation, do you think the dealership shuts down it's Service department? You and I both know the answer.........

Great video and thanks for sharing.

Yep, that's the way I've done it before. And with a 15 minute drain it's 6 quarts out and 6 quarts in. It appears the video used 6 quarts on the fill as well.

But due to discussions on this Forum previous to your join date I decided to use the vacuum removal first to see how much oil might be left. So once I started sucking air (not quite 5 quarts) I went to the drain plug. That's where things this time got a bit different from previous changes ... I got busy with my chain saw and a couple hours passed. And rather than a 6 quart drain, almost 7 quarts came out. And 7 quarts went in to get to the halfway point on the dipstick.

My point is that if you are having a dealer change your oil you might want to encourage them to do the drain plug as shown in the video (45 style) rather than vacuum extraction (250 style). And if possible, encourage them to let it drain over their lunch break.

· Registered
85 Posts
So unless YOU ACTUALLY WATCH them do it from start to finish......you JUST DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE!!!

I insisted on my first A service that they drain from the bottom. I looked at the invoice when I got home; I did not see a charge for a new washer and called them. They told me that they had indeed drained from the bottom and the service included the washer. I'm not sure I believe them. For the first B service I said do it any way you want. I'm not keeping the car past the warranty and if it blows up before, it's on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts