Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across and oil catch can for the GLA250?

With the new generation of engines sending gases back through the intake I'd like to catch any oil or condensation to try and protect and prolong my engine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi there, How exactly does this work? I've heard of a oil catch can but I thought that what simply for catching the oil during an oil change.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I haven't really heard of this as some type of protective measure to make your engine last longer. I am curious though. Mercedes doesn't make one I'm pretty sure, so it looks like you'd have to try something after market. not sure this product is at the top of most manufacturers to-do list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks like it does help protect the engine somewhat by getting rid of a little bit of bad oil and alleviate the pressure build up in the head. However, I would say it a aftermarket part that is a must have. It's more so for people with particular minds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet Tooth, an oil catch can just helps contain the oil mist that can build up over time from entering your intake. With all the new emission regulation manufacturers are having engines re-burn gases so they aren't as toxic etc.

When the oil cools down it turns in to gunk and can build up over time reducing performance and who knows what in the future.

I'd just like to catch the oil before hand.

Tiger, it's definitely an aftermarket part due to the emission controls etc however I haven't been able to find one. I've even looked for the A Class and CLA as they share similar engine layouts etc and still nothing!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across and oil catch can for the GLA250?

With the new generation of engines sending gases back through the intake I'd like to catch any oil or condensation to try and protect and prolong my engine.
I think majority of oil catch cans are universal applications. Just depends on the size you need really. Have you looked in to any brands?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think majority of oil catch cans are universal applications. Just depends on the size you need really. Have you looked in to any brands?
Same thing I was thinking. Don't think they are made for specific cars.. But I can't say for sure. I've only seen universal ones from video reviews and when doing minor searching on Google.

·
Administrator
322 Posts
There are model specific applications but I dont think any aftermarket companies have got to the GLA yet or not too high in deamnd at the moment. Weistec makes a catch can kit for the C63 AMG that cost a whopping $600!

So in this case it really depends how much you want to spend? You can find ones for $40 and you can find decent ones at $100 and of course up to $600. Just make sure there is a liquid gauge to know when to dump and a breather filter at the top for pressure relief.

You can find one of these for around $120

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adolini, let me know if you find anything specific for the GLA!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I thought Mercedes added a 5th injector to decrease the dreaded carbon buildup that plagues direct-injection motors?

Maybe it never came to fruition?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts