Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys:
I was just wondering if anyone has actually taken their GLA offroad (not including snow covered roads). I have a cottage at the beach and usually we use our Range Rover to drive on the sand, but I was curious if my GLA would make it off of the tarmac. Any feedback would be great :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Guys:
I was just wondering if anyone has actually taken their GLA offroad (not including snow covered roads). I have a cottage at the beach and usually we use our Range Rover to drive on the sand, but I was curious if my GLA would make it off of the tarmac. Any feedback would be great :)
Thanks!
That's a really good question. Once it gets warmer and all the snow is gone, I'll try some mild off-roading.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
They tried to climb with SUMMER compound tires. That's like riding on black ice.

I have driven my GLA off-road, up through the mountains, rocky trails, etc. I drove all winter, even did snow off-roading trying to park at an event. My GLA sat with all the big diesel 4x4's at the top of the hill.

TIRES are everything. Clearance is next.

I didn't do 'rock-crawling' or anything like that, but the 4matic AWD system really does a fantastic job and with the CORRECT tires, it is really fun to take off road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They tried to climb with SUMMER compound tires. That's like riding on black ice.

I have driven my GLA off-road, up through the mountains, rocky trails, etc. I drove all winter, even did snow off-roading trying to park at an event. My GLA sat with all the big diesel 4x4's at the top of the hill.

TIRES are everything. Clearance is next.

I didn't do 'rock-crawling' or anything like that, but the 4matic AWD system really does a fantastic job and with the CORRECT tires, it is really fun to take off road.
I hear you about the tires.

Getting out of deep snow from a standstill is always a battle.

In the manual it says not to use the off road mode in the snow. What's been your experience w it? Does the off road mode even offer an advantage, in any terrain, or are you better off just turning off ESP?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hear you about the tires.

Getting out of deep snow from a standstill is always a battle.

In the manual it says not to use the off road mode in the snow. What's been your experience w it? Does the off road mode even offer an advantage, in any terrain, or are you better off just turning off ESP?
I ran with ESP off in the snow this past winter. Honestly I forgot the offroad button was even there so I can't offer feedback on what that did.

ESP off has the added benefit of loooooooong power slides into the parking lot every morning too :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts