Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

Brand new to this group. I've looked through many posts but can't seem to find anything to tell me what Brand and Model the OEM run flats are on an 18 GLA 250 - 18"(I know size specs). Background: we are on our winter tires, and because of Covid issues, not near the summers to check brand and model.

I did some research to find that the highly recommended tires are problematic with potholes which would certainly be a problem for us. Since we haven't had any problems with the originals, I'd like to keep that course. Problem is I can't remember what we had, so I'm hoping for some enlightenment here.

Many thanks for any insight.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I'm not affiliated with Michelin but I am a big believer in them. Look for PS4S. They will cost a bit more than other options but they are transformative and worth the extra expense IMHO.

But if you insist on run flats that's an area I have no experience in. I do know pot holes can damage them and they are non repairable. But they will get you to a tire service center if necessary ... A definite plus.

·
Registered
116 Posts
+1 on the Michelin over MO/Continental.

I use 18” Michelin X-Ice3 for winter and Pilot Sport 4S for summer and will replace worn tires with the same.

I’m itching to slap these guys on but of course it snowed last night and they salted the roads so looks like it’s going to be another week...

And to actually answer your question.. pretty sure the link below are the MO tires but just as the reviews, other forum members, and myself through personal experience will say.. although Continental does make a good tire, they wear out too quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not affiliated with Michelin but I am a big believer in them. Look for PS4S. They will cost a bit more than other options but they are transformative and worth the extra expense IMHO.

But if you insist on run flats that's an area I have no experience in. I do know pot holes can damage them and they are non repairable. But they will get you to a tire service center if necessary ... A definite plus.
Alas, we do need the run flats. I wish traditional tires were an option but not at this point. Hence my search for the OEM run flats. In any case, thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
My 2019 250 came with Continental ProContact gx SSR they are M0E tires.

Reactions: Main Menu

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
Continental ProContact here too. Being in New England ours came with A/S Run Flats. When they wear out we’ll be going Michelin however, as also my favorite.

Our northern GLA came with 19" black rims but we had the dealer swap to 18" silver both for a taller tire sidewall profile to help combat potholes and we prefer silver. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2019 GLA 250 also came with continental pro contact SSR. (run flat). I am in NJ. I'm reluctant to replace with standard tires since there is no place to accommodate a spare tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire Rack has reviews on the 235/50 R18 run flat tires. I usually go with ultra high performance tires due to the W speed rating and the greater heat resistance. Nevada often gets 115 degrees so the asphalt gets close to 200! Nevada has the best roads in the nation, I have never seen or felt a pothole. Not much snow either and last year we went 250+ days without rain. So the mud and snow performance doesn't apply. So far I am happy with the ride quality of the Continental ProContact tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2019 GLA 250 also came with continental pro contact SSR. (run flat). I am in NJ. I'm reluctant to replace with standard tires since there is no place to accommodate a spare tire.
Likewise, lack of storage space and abundance of potholes (NYC) make standards a no go. Since I haven't had any problems w OEMs, I'm figuring best to stay the course, though I am not a fan of RFTs. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
147 Posts
245/50-18 gives you a better cushion and works great. Two great tires in this size are the Yokohama and the Eagle Sport...

·
Registered
147 Posts
In stock size, the Firestone Destination LE2 are excellent, very durable and you can find a replacement anyplace across the country. At $449 a steal...
Firestone Destination LE 2 (Highway All-Season, 255/55R18 109H)
  • What We Liked: Comfortable ride and intuitive steering feel along with good snow grip
  • What We'd Improve: A small increase in wet traction
  • Conclusion: A well-rounded tire that is worthy of its high survey ranking
Highway all-season is THE way to go, imo. MUCH longer wear and durability...

The newest Nokian....

Eagle Sport are very good...

Good price on the Scorpions...

Comp-2 are wicked. Michelin owns BFG

Michelin makes Uniroyal too

Just carry a pump and plug kit...!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts