Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I’m in the US and just got a 2018 GLA. I’d love to get the OEM cargo tray (I’ve seen it called a boot tub, I’m guessing the same thing). But I can’t find it anywhere! It’s available for the 2017 and 2019, but not 2018. Does it exist? Or will one from another year work (despite the Mercedes website saying “no”)?

· Registered
2020 GLA250 4MATIC Avantgarde Edition
221 Posts
Hey, I’m in the US and just got a 2018 GLA. I’d love to get the OEM cargo tray (I’ve seen it called a boot tub, I’m guessing the same thing). But I can’t find it anywhere! It’s available for the 2017 and 2019, but not 2018. Does it exist? Or will one from another year work (despite the Mercedes website saying “no”)?
Welcome to the forum. I've seen them before, pretty sure they're compatible for all model years. You can check weather tech's website, if they have multiple options for the same car, then they are not going to be cross-compatible. also try calling the parts dept. at the dealer.

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
If you mean the collapsible bin/tote that resides in the under-cover cargo area then yes on some 2018's and no on others, mostly dependent on whether you have the audio surround sound option. If you have this option the audio module including subwoofer takes up the space where it would go (also precluding space for a spare tire). If you don't have this option then you should see a rectangular plastic bracket that holds the bin flat on that cargo space floor.

I had to buy one for our AWD given having the option and of course from Benz parts dept. it was pricey. Then I had to bungie cord it vertically along one side of the upper cargo area. Not ideal but handy on occasion. The bin came with our lesser optioned FWD, mounted as cited (presumably a dealer prep item).

There are less expensive collapsible bins out there and they are generally larger, but won't fit the bracket. "CleverMade" being a popular brand readily available on Amazon, etc.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you mean the collapsible bin/tote that resides in the under-cover cargo area then yes on some 2018's and no on others, mostly dependent on whether you have the audio surround sound option. If you have this option the audio module including subwoofer takes up the space where it would go (also precluding space for a spare tire). If you don't have this option then you should see a rectangular plastic bracket that holds the bin flat on that cargo space floor.

I had to buy one for our AWD given having the option and of course from Benz parts dept. it was pricey. Then I had to bungie cord it vertically along one side of the upper cargo area. Not ideal but handy on occasion. The bin came with our lesser optioned FWD, mounted as cited (presumably a dealer prep item).

There are less expensive collapsible bins out there and they are generally larger, but won't fit the bracket. "CleverMade" being a popular brand readily available on Amazon, etc.
Got it! I do have the collapsible tote (sadly, the car doesn’t have the upgraded audio option). There’s a Mercedes OEM liner for the cargo compartment that covers the carpet and protects it from spills. It also has a grid of nubs that the crate fits onto and holds it in place. I’m looking for that mat, and wondering if the one for the 2017 model year will fit my 2018. Mercedes says no, and sometimes they’re right. But sometimes a little modification on these things makes them fit fine. Looking to see if anyone knows.

Weathertech makes one, and it’s cheaper, but I’m an excited new owner and want the real deal, if I can :)

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
2018 was a "facelift" model year from prior 2015-2017 first generation, so some differences. But I wouldn't think any differences in the cargo area and thereby not affecting cargo floor cover. But yes most (especially WeatherTech) are easy to trim/modify if needed.

I have a long and appreciated history with WeatherTech, but understand the "real deal" thing (I did pay significantly more for the Benz collapsible bin after all ;) ).

btw: The "real deal" cargo cover in my VW ID.4 is actually made by WeatherTech USA. But the Winter floor mats are made in Germany. "World cars."
Got it! I do have the collapsible tote (sadly, the car doesn’t have the upgraded audio option). There’s a Mercedes OEM liner for the cargo compartment that covers the carpet and protects it from spills. It also has a grid of nubs that the crate fits onto and holds it in place. I’m looking for that mat, and wondering if the one for the 2017 model year will fit my 2018. Mercedes says no, and sometimes they’re right. But sometimes a little modification on these things makes them fit fine. Looking to see if anyone knows.

Weathertech makes one, and it’s cheaper, but I’m an excited new owner and want the real deal, if I can :)

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To close the loop: I found one of these cargo area liners for a 2017 GLA250 slightly discounted on eBay, so bought it with my fingers crossed. It fits my 2018 perfectly! The d-rings for the cargo net ARE partially blocked (I’m guessing that’s why Mercedes says it’s not compatible). I’m guessing you could still clip into them in a pinch, or pull out the tray. Otherwise, the tray fits like a glove and I am very happy that my cargo carpet will be protected!

Photos from the Mercedes website.

Attachments

· Registered
221 Posts
To close the loop: I found one of these cargo area liners for a 2017 GLA250 slightly discounted on eBay, so bought it with my fingers crossed. It fits my 2018 perfectly! The d-rings for the cargo net ARE partially blocked (I’m guessing that’s why Mercedes says it’s not compatible). I’m guessing you could still clip into them in a pinch, or pull out the tray. Otherwise, the tray fits like a glove and I am very happy that my cargo carpet will be protected!

Please share the link, I am interested in buying one too.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course, it looks like they’re on sale on the MB website but shipping to me was prohibitive. I got mine on eBay for $130 delivered.

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Well done, and as expected no change from 2017 in this regard, although odd that you couldn't find a MB 2018-designated. Yes, you can either remove the side cubby nets or trim the liner. I find the side nets helpful so would trim (leaving 1/2" or so vertical-fold border), unless you routinely carry very wet items where it might more run into those areas.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course, it looks like they’re on sale on the MB website but ships to me was prohibitive:

Well done, and as expected no change from 2017 in this regard, although odd that you couldn't find a MB 2018-designated. Yes, you can either remove the side cubby nets or trim the liner. I find the side nets helpful so would trim (leaving 1/2" or so vertical-fold border), unless you routinely carry very wet items where it might more run into those areas.
im guessing it’s a case of the Mercedes mindset “Either it’s a 100% perfect fit, OR 100% not compatible.” Seems 98% compatible, and does everything I need, but I can’t fault Mercedes for being obsessed with details and perfection.

· Registered
221 Posts

My GLE came with one from the dealer. there are dotted lines with a scissor picture molded into the rubber where the rings are. I guess you're supposed to trim-to-fit those notches for the d-rings. I didn't bother because I don't use those rings anyways and I don't think I'd like how it looks after cutting.

check if your's has those cut lines if you want to use the cargo net

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Of course, it looks like they’re on sale on the MB website but ships to me was prohibitive:

im guessing it’s a case of the Mercedes mindset “Either it’s a 100% perfect fit, OR 100% not compatible.” Seems 98% compatible, and does everything I need, but I can’t fault Mercedes for being obsessed with details and perfection.
I trimmed my WeatherTech as such (removed their "wings" that would go into the side-net areas if the net holders weren't there). Still a fold-edge to hold back a bit of liquid.
Grille Automotive exterior Carbon Automotive design Gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts