Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 - GLA 250
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m planning to install an 70mai pro plus A500 dash cam and I wonder if any of you used an OBD2 power cable to power your dash cams?
This should be the links of what I’m getting, hope they can be posted.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
352 Posts
neat. I've never seen OBD to USB. But that takes up the OBD port. I wonder if there is a splitter that lets you keep the existing OBD port, so you get your power but can still plug in a scanner when you want to.

Otherwise, it kinda makes more sense to tap off the cigarette lighter to hide a 12v USB converter under the dash. That's what I did for my Qi cradle in the car.

·
Registered
2018 - GLA 250
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neat. I've never seen OBD to USB. But that takes up the OBD port. I wonder if there is a splitter that lets you keep the existing OBD port, so you get your power but can still plug in a scanner when you want to.

Otherwise, it kinda makes more sense to tap off the cigarette lighter to hide a 12v USB converter under the dash. That's what I did for my Qi cradle in the car.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I will see how long the cable from the dash cam is and decide, still waiting for the camera. Got the OBD plug and that cable is long enough.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Why not use one of the USB plugs in the center console?

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
I don’t want any cables in the center console, however I’ll see if it’s easier to be done I’ll use your suggestion
Need to check if they are power full time or when the switch is turned on. No sure which it is, think you will want power when switch is on

·
Registered
2018 - GLA 250
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need to check if they are power full time or when the switch is turned on. No sure which it is, think you will want power when switch is on
For parking mode with the OBD II the switch will be on position 1 and that will supply power when the car is parked

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’m thinking about doing the same as you & interested to know if connecting your Dashcam to the USB worked ok. Also does the power switch itself off when the ignition is switched off? Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 - GLA 250
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, I’m thinking about doing the same as you & interested to know if connecting your Dashcam to the USB worked ok. Also does the power switch itself off when the ignition is switched off? Thanks.
Yes , the camera is powered fine while the ignition is on, the only downside is the Park Monitoring will only run 5-10 minutes after you stop, when the ignition is off there is no power supplied to the camera. I’m ok with this, I don’t want to hardwire to the battery and then have battery issues, Parking Monitoring is not that critical for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes , the camera is powered fine while the ignition is on, the only downside is the Park Monitoring will only run 5-10 minutes after you stop, when the ignition is off there is no power supplied to the camera. I’m ok with this, I don’t want to hardwire to the battery and then have battery issues, Parking Monitoring is not that critical for me.
That’s good to know, I’m not bothered about Parking Mode either. I’ll go ahead & install mine in the same way. Thanks for the quick reply

1 - 15 of 15 Posts