Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I want to ping the collective here. I've been getting this code on and off for awhile, mostly off, but its annoying every time it hits.

0106 is the MAP sensor, but not malfunction. It's out of range.

NORMALLY, I'd either get a vac pump and check or just a replacement and swap it out. BUT, in this case, I have an aftermarket intake. It opens up the pipe between the filter and the turbo inlet from 2.5-ish inches to a full free flowing 4" and high flow filter.

So it's very easy to imagine the pressure in front of the turbo is much lower than then car might expect.

But why I want to ask you guys is because intake is a very cheap mod, so I imagine quite a few of you guys have free flowing intakes on your 45's of all flavors.

SO.... any of you guys getting p0106 codes? If not, my confidence is higher I got a fundamental issue with mine and it needs to be swapped.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, our car has two MAP sensors, right? Any reason to target one or the other with a p0106? or can EITHER one throw this code?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I don't know if there are 2, if so, and 0106 does NOT refer specifically to 1, ugh, cuz there is proly a comparator table buried in there as well.

aside from that, is the change from OEM the cause ?

if so, it may not be any global reduction in pressure, but rather, the introduction of little turbulences in flow, which may be wafting over the new location, of the old sensor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about 2x,

There is "something" on the airbox port:

And there is "something" on the intake manifold bolted to the engine itself:

Top one, the internet calls MAP sensor. Bottom one, some sites call it MAP, some call it the Boost Sensor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess there is one near the intercooler too, but that one is typically called a boost sensor? I guess that is technically a MAP too? or not?

·
Registered
55 Posts
How much of a pain is it to swap back in the OEM airbox? Might be the quickest way to troubleshoot that code.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest pain is that I can’t reliably reproduce the code. So the swap is easy, but verifying efficacy is hard.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
not hard, just needs a certain amount of patience. absense of event becomes proof of concept after you think to yourself while takin a leak, huh, it hasn't thrown a code in 3 weeks now....

I'm still on the OEM box.
I demodded for the annual exam, and havent bothered to put it back on.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gonna start by removing the DTE box wire harness (rather than remove the DTE box and put in the jumper plug, which does not solve the issue).

Other possibilities are airbox and pedal commander, with airbox more likely. (but pedal commander a possibility because 0106 apparently can be tripped if there is a mismatch in MAP vs engine loading as defined by, among other things, throttle position)

Another interesting clue is when I disconnected the harness, I got two codes: MAP and Boost. Which makes sense, since two pressure sensors are disconnected. I did not disconnect the MAP on the airbox. The suggestion there is that the pressure sensor on the throttle body might be the true "MAP sensor" with the pressure sensor at the intercooler as the "Boost sensor".

I unplugged the pressure sensor at the airbox to see, and I got a p1190 code which I've never ever seen before. So I'm starting to think the DTE wire harness has a malfunction (or the sensor itself). I will drive for a couple weeks and see what pops up.

Unfortunately for me, once the last p0106 event self-cleared, the car drives like it just came out of service. Feels free flowy, feels awesome. Like there was some oddball bog somewhere that cleared out like a blockage in a vacuum cleaner and now runs like GANGbusters. So I fear if the issue comes back, it'll be in 2000 miles whether I have "stuff" on the car or not.

I guess we will see.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
gonna start by removing the DTE box wire harness (rather than remove the DTE box and put in the jumper plug, which does not solve the issue).

Other possibilities are airbox and pedal commander, with airbox more likely. (but pedal commander a possibility because 0106 apparently can be tripped if there is a mismatch in MAP vs engine loading as defined by, among other things, throttle position)

Another interesting clue is when I disconnected the harness, I got two codes: MAP and Boost. Which makes sense, since two pressure sensors are disconnected. I did not disconnect the MAP on the airbox. The suggestion there is that the pressure sensor on the throttle body might be the true "MAP sensor" with the pressure sensor at the intercooler as the "Boost sensor".

I unplugged the pressure sensor at the airbox to see, and I got a p1190 code which I've never ever seen before. So I'm starting to think the DTE wire harness has a malfunction (or the sensor itself). I will drive for a couple weeks and see what pops up.

Unfortunately for me, once the last p0106 event self-cleared, the car drives like it just came out of service. Feels free flowy, feels awesome. Like there was some oddball bog somewhere that cleared out like a blockage in a vacuum cleaner and now runs like GANGbusters. So I fear if the issue comes back, it'll be in 2000 miles whether I have "stuff" on the car or not.

I guess we will see.
2 things

I missed the tune part earlier

2 thinking from a plumbing perspective, about the 2 point pressure check. sure would be a nice way to help out the ECU guessing which way the human will jiggle the throttle.
the one in the box will see from essentially equal to, close to, and not much below, atmospheric.
like a PET scan, pretty muddy to titrate from..

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 points. one after the filter, one after the IC, and one after the TB.

IC and TB are the same part number, one after the airbox is different.

As always, I learn "a little bit" when I work on my car, and "a whole lot" when there are problems!

Driving au natural now in regards to DTE wire harness. If it doesn't go away in a week or so though, I'm putting that sucker back in so at least I have fun while waiting for the next code. Then pull the harness again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts