Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum.
I just bought a 2016 gla and I noticed a noise under the hood when the engine is turned off. Is this normal?
This is my very firs Mercedez car. I appreciate any feedback.

thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Catalytic converters can ping. The fan may operate on the radiator. Various vents may be opening and closing. Tree turbo continues to spin. If you can be a bit more specific that would help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As Wayne cites there's a lot going on under the hood these days (especially turbocharged) after you shut down, all in an attempt to gracefully handle heat of operation dissipation. And some of the more exotic materials such as the catalytic converters and their widely differing materials interacting as they cool. The most unnerving I guess is the fan and turbo continuing to run if you've not experienced it before.
Now, if your engine continues to sputter after you turn off the ignition it could be lesser-octane fuel use (turbo engines typically need 91 octane or better), and/or a timing issue that the ECU computer should be better handling.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
This got some moderate attention in the early days of GLA operation. Here's an early thread that had a lot of points of view:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This got some moderate attention in the early days of GLA operation. Here's an early thread that had a lot of points of view:

Hi Wayne and Huey - thank you for the feedback but to be honest, I have no idea what did you guys said :(
I’m a single women and don’t know anything about car except oil changes, radiator and brake pads.

is the noise a problem? Should I take my car to the shop and have them fix it?

I appreciate your advice.

thanks a lot - Jan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have another question :)

when I’m driving my car, the number 1, 2, 3 and 4 shows up next to the D sign. These numbers keep changing, like if I drive a little faster, the number goes to 4. Is this normal?
And also there is a letter C pops up next to the D (driving mode) when the car is in motion. I don’t know what the letter C means :(

I appreciate any feedback.

?

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
Bottom line ... Can you better explain the noise? Rattling? Pinging? Whirling? Banging?

If you lift the hood can you tell where the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Believe you are hearing normal engine shut-off/cool-down systems operating as designed. As Wayne asked, can you be more specific, maybe provide an audio-byte? Depending on how your GLA was operating before shut down, they can be running an hour or more after engine shut-off.

The numbers you asked about are the various transmission gears in the "Drive" mode, 1-7, one being your low, slow gear, 7 being highest and most efficient in normal operations. Shifting by computer control, they tend to keep your engine RPMs between ~1500-2000.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 'C' indicates that you are in "Comfort" mode which we also use most all the time (but I sometimes elect Sport mode when my wife's not looking. ;))

Note: In Sport ('S') mode the rpm range will be higher, among other things, to keep the turbo 'spooled up' a bit and thereby provide higher performance.

I have another question :)

when I’m driving my car, the number 1, 2, 3 and 4 shows up next to the D sign. These numbers keep changing, like if I drive a little faster, the number goes to 4. Is this normal?
And also there is a letter C pops up next to the D (driving mode) when the car is in motion. I don’t know what the letter C means :(

I appreciate any feedback.

?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 'C' indicates that you are in "Comfort" mode which we also use most all the time (but I sometimes elect Sport mode when my wife's not looking. ;))

Note: In Sport ('S') mode the rpm range will be higher, among other things, to keep the turbo 'spooled up' a bit and thereby provide higher performance.

View attachment 25573

Thank you all so much for your feedback.
The noise is more like a whirling sound. I will record the noise next time it happens.

I also have another question. I was debating weather to do the prepaid maintenance. What's your take on that?

Thank again :)
This is Jan from New Orleans :)

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
I DIY so member pre-pay. I suspect you will be using the dealer for service. Assuming you keep the car a couple of years and drive at least 10K miles per year the prepaid plan makes sense to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I plan to keep this car for as long as I can lol.
Well I am trying to find ways to save money for maintenance. I heard rumors that Mercedez is very expensive to upkeep. I don't make a lot of money so every penny to me counts :)
I pretty much drive from home to work which is a 10 - 15 mins drive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree if you do drive 10K miles or more per year it makes fiscal sense to get the MB pre-paid maintenance.

The other side of the coin: I got the 4-year pre-paid for my Audi TTS ($800), however as it turned out under 5K per year on that one so it really didn't make sense in that I didn't need as much maintenance as the annual schedule provided (e.g. at 4-years I recently got the 35K rather extensive service with only 17K miles). Not that too much maintenance is a bad thing but in hindsight it wasn't really a monetary value in that as a DIY'r I could have just done most of it myself.

A whirling sound is likely the fan or turbo. A hissing sound would likely be turbo pressure equalizing and a ticking sound would be catalytic converter cooling.

... Assuming you keep the car a couple of years and drive at least 10K miles per year the prepaid plan makes sense to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Huey.
I still have a year left on my warranty. Do you think I should bring it to the dealership and have it fix?

·
Super Moderator
1,421 Posts
The things Huey mentioned are normal ... No fix required. But we are only guessing.

If pennies are critical Pep Boys can change oil and rotate tires. Make sure they use the correct oil (A40 European Blend 0-40) and keep your receipts on case you need warranty work. This will be cheaper than a maintenance plan. It is also more flexible.

Post warranty there are Indys (independent shops not directly affiliated with MB) who can be less expensive but may not have equivalent current knowledge, immediate parts access, or loaner cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Believe you are hearing normal engine shut-off/cool-down systems operating as designed. As Wayne asked, can you be more specific, maybe provide an audio-byte? Depending on how your GLA was operating before shut down, they can be running an hour or more after engine shut-off.

The numbers you asked about are the various transmission gears in the "Drive" mode, 1-7, one being your low, slow gear, 7 being highest and most efficient in normal operations. Shifting by computer control, they tend to keep your engine RPMs between ~1500-2000.
Thank you turbolink.
Everyone is so kind and helpful in this forum. I am so glad I found the site :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts