Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not reading much about contingencies for the lack of a spare with our GLA 250. I have no confidence in patch kits or slime. The reality of a flat with MB dealers closed is imaginable. I am waiting for a price of a run flat tire and wheel to carry in the cargo space. It's peace of mind for my wife driving alone in remote sections of Western PA. I have had possibly a half dozen flats in a lifetime of driving, primarily roofing nails and drywall screws. At this point in life of buying a MB, I want a solution to a flat tire and lack of dealer access. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The US spec GLA250 has run flats so punctures (such as from nails and screws) will not strand your wife if the unfortunate happens. Now major catastrophic tire failure (such as running over a piece of steel and tearing the tire to pieces) is a problem and of course air pumps/slime kits will do nothing for that situation.

I have a GLA45 which comes with NON run flats and it has a air pump/sealer system, but I have been looking for a spare (donut type) tire that I would keep in a bag carrier and place in the boot (can not place in the spare tire well since the stereo amp and sub woofer along with the air pump/sealant system are located there) when on longer trips. First step was purchasing (ebay) a "used" (came from a GLK but actually never used) jack and accessories>>>

It all fits very nicely in the extra spaces in the spare tire well

So, my search for the golden donut spare continues….

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can also subscribe to AAA.

Reactions: AMGz

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can also subscribe to AAA.
I'm from Canada so its CAA, but yes this is a great thing to get. They can help you with so many different things. Running out of gas, flat tire, whatever other trouble you might have.

The run flats mean you should be able to go get a new tire instead of changing it there on the spot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im in Australia and have one on order from MB, Its been paid for im waiting its arrival
Kit consists of space saver,wheel bag, jack and tools... oh and wheel nuts to suit

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why bother with AAA? Don't we all have the MB roadside service? Isn't that just a call through to AAA anyway?

...but yeah, a spare tire would be nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind what MB Roadside and AAA cannot do is mount a tire on a wheel, assuming you had an extra tire. And once a flat occurs, you have the challenge of finding (during normal business hours) an MB dealer or tire shop that has a GLA replacement tire. We pick up our GLA 250 on 7-28-15 and we have purchased a tire mounted on the wheel to carry in the car--don't know the price yet. Having the extra in the car is probably assurance that I will never have a flat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
just got the call to say the spare wheel kit is in, they are going to ship it to me
The wife is gonna spit because of the room it takes up but BAD LUCK im not gonna be sitting on the side of the road waiting for some dick to tell me i need a tow truck and accommodation until we can get a tyre, Im also going to have a full size spare tyre sitting in the shed in case of an emergency

OVER KILL you say ....this size tyre is hard to get in Australia and has only one manufacture atm

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had cars with runflats or the airpump/sealer system for my last 4 cars. Initially, I was concerned but I've grown into it, as I've not had a problem in over 10 years. Indeed, the only issue I've had was a slow leak due to a screw, which I could pump up, and drive carefully to a tyre repair shop. I've not had any form of catastrophic tyre failure in over 40 years' driving (including quite a lot in rural Australia, which has coarse, rough gravel roads), so I'm quite relaxed, and will accept the risk as well as be prepared to use the roadside assist/flatbed truck option, if needs be. By way of comparison, I've had more issues with hitting kangaroos than tyres.

I will probably regret this post one day :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had cars with runflats or the airpump/sealer system for my last 4 cars. Initially, I was concerned but I've grown into it, as I've not had a problem in over 10 years. Indeed, the only issue I've had was a slow leak due to a screw, which I could pump up, and drive carefully to a tyre repair shop. I've not had any form of catastrophic tyre failure in over 40 years' driving (including quite a lot in rural Australia, which has coarse, rough gravel roads), so I'm quite relaxed, and will accept the risk as well as be prepared to use the roadside assist/flatbed truck option, if needs be. By way of comparison, I've had more issues with hitting kangaroos than tyres.

I will probably regret this post one day :eek:

Forget the roos see if you can cleanup a few politicians for us....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had my GLA 250 for about a week and love it. With delivery I purchased from MB a tire and wheel mounted for $704. It does take up cargo space. I also learned that on major state toll roads, such as the PA turnpike, MB roadside, AAA, and so forth, can provide roadside help, but cannot tow you. Towing is only done by the authorized towing service affiliated with the turnpike. I believe I read that 12 percent of 2015 cars today come without a spare. And buying the spare will probably assure me that I will never have a flat. The GLA is a spectacular vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sure it's the case, but just thought I'd mention: I do hope those who have purchased a spare wheel/tyre have secured it properly in the luggage area(is there a kit?). As I'm sure you know 50+lbs of loose wheel and tyre can make quite a nuisance of itself in an emergency stop/rear-ender/roll-over.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sure it's the case, but just thought I'd mention: I do hope those who have purchased a spare wheel/tyre have secured it properly in the luggage area(is there a kit?). As I'm sure you know 50+lbs of loose wheel and tyre can make quite a nuisance of itself in an emergency stop/rear-ender/roll-over.
timbo you got the 4 hook doodads ...im going to use them

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Too right mate

just got the call to say the spare wheel kit is in, they are going to ship it to me
The wife is gonna spit because of the room it takes up but BAD LUCK im not gonna be sitting on the side of the road waiting for some dick to tell me i need a tow truck and accommodation until we can get a tyre, Im also going to have a full size spare tyre sitting in the shed in case of an emergency

OVER KILL you say ....this size tyre is hard to get in Australia and has only one manufacture atm
Tyre size here is nuts...
Trying to get a track tyre or replacement for the contis impossible
And going to 19 for the track throws out speedo computer etc
Because of the nutty tyre size MB chose for the 20 inch aaaahhh

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you not find a higher profile R compound tyre in 18" (assuming these cover the brakes). No, you won't find much in the way of track tyres >=19". If you do, they'll costa motza

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im thinking of going 255/35R20 97W Dunlop Direzza they are a fair bit cheaper than the contis.
The 235/40R20 96Y contis are @ $500
The Direzza @ $400

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Thanks olmate

actually the 255/35R20 97Y nexen N8000 arnt a bad tyre for @ $200 each
18 won't fit bugger
Just looking at a set of oz racing wheels in 19 special on $2,900 delivered
Tyres choice is still limited but better than 20s to have as I love track days
I'll look into those Dunlop
Speedo being out on track no probes but for the road a lot of the tranny/ engine system runs directly from the speedo so I'm told so need to keep those to match original..

Cheers. Blue

1 - 20 of 54 Posts