Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can Mercedes totally drop ICE within five years? I think it's hard to achieve since still many drivers prefers ordinary engined cars to electric ones.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love the idea of electric for the instant torque, but until they can "fill the tank" of a battery in 5 minutes like an internal combustion engine's fuel tank, there's going to be an issue. Traveling would be impossible without the quick fill. It's super common for people where I live to go on a 12 to 16 hour road trip, nonstop. You can only do that if you can refill fuel source in a short period of time. Besides, my E350 can make it 10 hours on a single tank and battery tech isn't quite there.

I don't think this electric push by 2040 can happen that rapidly unless battery tech makes a HUGE leap forward. There are a few emerging technologies in this area, but still mostly theoretical and small scale. Example from NASA Tech Briefs: https://www.techbriefs.com/component/content/article/tb/stories/insider/29473

I think the answer could be exchangeable battery packs. There would many challenges, but it seems to work pretty dang well for my cordless power tools!

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
The answer is the long promised hydrogen fuel cell. But of course that too demands an infrastructure change to hydrogen fueling stations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts