Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm still trying to get an answer from Mercedes Canada about getting the camera install for no additional cost because of the package I have with the car. There was another GLA at the dealership with the same package options and the cost the exact same but in silver, we wanted a white GLA. To me it sounds unfair to pay for something extra that the car should have came with.

Now I have to drive 1.5hrs to the dealership and ask my sale man for the VIN of the silver car so Mercedes Canada can compare the option and then maybe they would install a camera. The guy on the phone can't guarantee if they can do it or not. So I may waste my time driving there.

bellermb did you dealership get back to you?
Dealer quoted me verbally a price of $2000 to $2500 to have them do....I have found some alternate choices that I am looking into:

1) TadiBrothers in the USA all necessary components to integrate with the Comand system will run about $850 US dollars and this would be with a wireless camera solution so no pulling wires plus shipping and my installers charge.

2) www.smartroadcanada.com call and talk to Mike their solution includes the wire harness and camera for the Comand system as well as programming to enable the camera with the system rough estimate was about $400 for components plus shipping and whatever my installer will charge.

I will know more about option 2 when I talk further with Mike on Tuesday....BTW they are in Toronto....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Shark Shark Shark.....sniff around some other dealers and see if you can get a new one with reverse camera, if you can get what you want tell your dealer to shove the car and ask for your deposit back as you are not getting what you were quoted on

It would be very painful trying to back this thing without the camera

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having my backup camera installed tomorrow it has active parking lines and even shows the parking sensors on the comand display....the installer has already done many B, GLA and CLA Mercedes and he was familiar with Mercedes decision to stop using the cameras from their supplier.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having my backup camera installed tomorrow it has active parking lines and even shows the parking sensors on the comand display....the installer has already done many B, GLA and CLA Mercedes and he was familiar with Mercedes decision to stop using the cameras from their supplier.....
Can you let us know the component and install cost he is charging you? I'd be interested in learning where he is getting the parts so I can try and find a local installer to do one on mine as well

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well the install was completed yesterday and if you go to my garage you can see the outcome....took the installer 8 hours to do but did a very professional job as he replaced the door handle trim piece with one that had a high quality 170 degree camera integrated into it instead of drilling out the original trim piece...a nice touch. The camera module was from Taiwan and has the active parking lines as well as the outline of the vehicle and the sensors....both work extremely well and this unit is highly recommended by him as others he has tried have the active lines and sensors stop working after a few seconds so you have to be careful which unit you may buy out of Taiwan....Total damage for parts and labour was $1300 CND so about $980.00 USD...well worth it in my opinion after two months of trying to back onto tight streets with having to turn your head only to be blocked out by the "B" pillar most of the time....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well the install was completed yesterday and if you go to my garage you can see the outcome....took the installer 8 hours to do but did a very professional job as he replaced the door handle trim piece with one that had a high quality 170 degree camera integrated into it instead of drilling out the original trim piece...a nice touch. The camera module was from Taiwan and has the active parking lines as well as the outline of the vehicle and the sensors....both work extremely well and this unit is highly recommended by him as others he has tried have the active lines and sensors stop working after a few seconds so you have to be careful which unit you may buy out of Taiwan....Total damage for parts and labour was $1300 CND so about $980.00 USD...well worth it in my opinion after two months of trying to back onto tight streets with having to turn your head only to be blocked out by the "B" pillar most of the time....
do you have more info on which camera he specifically used for the install? Link to buy perhaps?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
No Camera - Canadian 2015 Model

Just bought an August built GLA250 .... salesman warned that MB/Supplier ran out of cameras during 2015 and they made some sort of price/option content alternative to compensate for the deletion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes they added the Parktronic with Active Park Assist as the compensation so you get the front and rear sensors.....I added my backup camera aftermarket

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a August built 2016 and it has a camera. These are standard on MY16. They probably used up the inventory on the new ones.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a August built 2016 and it has a camera. These are standard on MY16. They probably used up the inventory on the new ones.
The backup camera is an extra cost option on US 2016 GLAs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I really doubt it is discontinued, the MY2016 model is even upgrading it to 180 degree view.

Something seems fishy with your dealer.
I am surprised too. Our 2016 GLA 250 4MATIC has Multimedia package and as a result, 180 degrees backup camera with pretty good resolution. It is an integral part of the Multimedia package. Plus, in 2016 it could be ordered as a standalone option as well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My 2015 GLA250 doesn't have a rear camera, and there don't seem to be any compensatory goodies added to it. I wonder if the wiring is in place, they just chose to not install the camera itself? I had an M class the first year they came out (that was a horror story) and it did not have outside temperature reading, although the sensor was there, under the license plate. I was told by the dealer service people that it was impossible to make the outside temperature read. Brakes needed to be done at 16,000 miles, and they made me pay half. I was pretty hot about it and they asked what they could do for me, other than pay the other half of the brakes. I said make the outside temperature read in the dash cluster. The nice man from the regional office hooked up his computer, and 5 minutes later the outside temp was visible. Sometimes one Mercedes hand does not know what the other is doing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you look on the CLA forum, there are a number of backup camera options that should work.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts