Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my GLA yesterday. I had to order my because they didn't have the options and colour that I want. I got the premium, preium plus, sport package and the keyless start. The order was place April 14 and the build date is 05/2015.

Anyways while build the GLA250 with the salesman, he inform me that they discount the backup camera after the build date 02/2015. He was trying to find a car that would match what I was asking for but a build date prior 02/2015. Unfortunately for me, he could not find one.

So here is my question, anyone that is in the same situation like me that does not have a backup camera from factory, have you try to installing one? I seen you can order a factory backup camera online but is addition wring needed to complete the install?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Where are you located…depending on which country you reside there are different package content.

For example, in the US you can order the Multimedia Package to get the back up camera or you can get as a stand alone option. The Premium Package does not include a back up camera and we have no Premium Plus Package.

But, there are aftermarket back up camera systems and I am not sure (but a suspect not) that you can tie into the OEM media screen.

Also, you state "they discount the back up camera after the build date 2/15" but did you mean to say "they discontinued the back up camera…."

Here is a basic but good read on aftermarket back up camera systems>> http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/adding-a-back-up-camera-to-your-vehicle.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you located…depending on which country you reside there are different package content.

For example, in the US you can order the Multimedia Package to get the back up camera or you can get as a stand alone option. The Premium Package does not include a back up camera and we have no Premium Plus Package.

But, there are aftermarket back up camera systems and I am not sure (but a suspect not) that you can tie into the OEM media screen.

Also, you state "they discount the back up camera after the build date 2/15" but did you mean to say "they discontinued the back up camera…."

Here is a basic but good read on aftermarket back up camera systems>> Adding a Back-Up Camera to Your Car | Edmunds.com
Sorry I mean the saleman said that the backup camera is discontinue. And I'm from Ontario, Canada

I forgot to mention to do have the multimedia package with Navigation, blind spot indicators, dual climate control, illuminate door sills.

I really don't want aftermarket camera with a seprate screen. I was hoping to use the OEM screen and just add a camera. It's weird that mercedes would discontinue the camera.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Curious…at the time you purchased/went to contract on the GLA, the packages you selected INCLUDED a back up camera and then at some point your dealership stated it was not longer available. Something is odd…I would go to MB of Canada Corporate and pursue directly with them.

Here is their contact info>>

Mercedes-Benz Canada
1255 Pendrell St, Vancouver BC V6E 1L7
+1 604-331-2369

·
Registered
470 Posts
I really doubt it is discontinued, the MY2016 model is even upgrading it to 180 degree view.

Something seems fishy with your dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious…at the time you purchased/went to contract on the GLA, the packages you selected INCLUDED a back up camera and then at some point your dealership stated it was not longer available. Something is odd…I would go to MB of Canada Corporate and pursue directly with them.

Here is their contact info>>

Mercedes-Benz Canada
1255 Pendrell St, Vancouver BC V6E 1L7
+1 604-331-2369
I just got off the phone with someone from MB and they also inform me that they discontinue the backup camera but cannot say if the backup camera is on the 2016.

I was driving it for the past few days, and looking out the reae glass is very small. I am very surprised that MB would have discontinue the camera

·
Registered
817 Posts
That really totally surprises me…why on earth would MB delete such a safety feature?? This makes no sense at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That really totally surprises me…why on earth would MB delete such a safety feature?? This makes no sense at all

I know, eh? Does not make sense to me as well. He told me it is a global wide discontinue option but told me to call him back Wednesday and see if it can be install afterwards. I hope they won't charge me for the camera, especially when it should be part of the premium package and it does state in the GLA brochure.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not only is it a ssafety feature ( a big safety feature) but the US NHTSA is also requiring is to be a standard feature on all light vehicles starting next year and all must have it by 2018: NHTSA to require backup cameras on all vehicles

This is one reason alone is why I do not believe that they would be doing a global discontinue. And again, they already announced the changed to the MY2016 and it is one of the techs getting an update.

GLA

The 2016 GLA includes a number of new options as well as added standard equipment.

New Infotainment Generation (NTG5) with upgraded standard features:
- Media Interface
- Pre-wiring for Garmin® Map Pilot
- 7" display (upgraded from 5.8")

Otherwise upgraded Standard Equipment:
- KEYLESS-START
- Dual-Zone Climate Control (581)
- DYNAMIC SELECT
- seat cushion length adjustment

KEYLESS-GO becomes part of the Premium Package (also remains stand-alone option)
New Option Multi-color Ambient Lighting (877) – part of Interior Package and stand-alone option
Grey leather (808) replaced by two-tone beige/black leather interior (855)
Introduction of Night Package (only i.c.w. Sport Package 321)
Introduction of Kryptonite Green metallic (175), replacing Universe Blue
180 degree view functionality for Rear View Camera
Power Passenger Seat available as stand-alone option

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well…now the story becomes interesting. I spoke to the MB dealership (large dealership) where I picked up my GLA45 (US), and they confirmed that indeed about 5+ weeks ago MB corporate sent notification to dealers that the back up camera would not be available "due to parts issue from supplier". Since the GLA 2015 MY order is now closed that becomes a moot point maybe… the MY 2016 GLA configurator is showing the back up camera in the premium package option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2015 amg model from Montreal has the premium and premium plus packages with the backup camera. Mine was built in November I think.

Sucks that they didn't include it in yours. I find it really tricky to park without it. Hopefully they gave you a discount!

·
Super Moderator
378 Posts
Here's my theory. Mercedes is having problems with the current camera supplier for either delivery or quality problems. Most likely late deliveries since I haven't seen anyone on this or other boards complain about camera function. Delivery problem became so critical that Mercedes couldn't get enough cameras to complete 2015 MY builds on the order books, so they just cancelled the option. With the change to a wider view angle for 2016 MY, Mercedes likely resourced the design to a different vendor that they hope will be able to meet demand. Also likely that someone in the Mercedes purchasing chain was severely chastised for the debacle with current vendor.

I work for a supplier to Daimler Truck North America (aka Freightliner), and know this is how the game is played.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2015 amg model from Montreal has the premium and premium plus packages with the backup camera. Mine was built in November I think.

Sucks that they didn't include it in yours. I find it really tricky to park without it. Hopefully they gave you a discount!

It is kinda tricky parking, especially I always back in my car in parking lots. But I am coming from an Escalade, so this small SUV is not much of a problem. Really wish I had a backup camera thou.

One additional thing I found not related to the camera. I thought my GLA had assistant parking option where it can park itself. I never ask for it and thought it came with because of the blue P indicator on the dash and that MB replace of the missing camera. So I thought I would try it out today. I fellow the instruction in the manual, came to a complete stop and signal I was going to park. I waited 45 second and I got no message asking for parking assistance. So disappointed nothing happen. I guess the blue P was only for the radar parking assistance.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is kinda tricky parking, especially I always back in my car in parking lots. But I am coming from an Escalade, so this small SUV is not much of a problem. Really wish I had a backup camera thou.

One additional thing I found not related to the camera. I thought my GLA had assistant parking option where it can park itself. I never ask for it and thought it came with because of the blue P indicator on the dash and that MB replace of the missing camera. So I thought I would try it out today. I fellow the instruction in the manual, came to a complete stop and signal I was going to park. I waited 45 second and I got no message asking for parking assistance. So disappointed nothing happen. I guess the blue P was only for the radar parking assistance.
Shark did you ever hear back about the dealer install for the camera, I asked my dealer the same question earlier this week when I found out from the parts department that the rear hatch insert with the camera was available. The service department shop foreman took my VIN to find out if the wiring was installed and it was a case of exchanging the component and connecting the camera but the were moving to there new location this week and I won't here back till next week some time.......

Also I was thinking the same about my park assist till I realized it has to detect a spot between two cars that is available it will not activate if there is just random cars parked along the street and you have room to drive into the spot.....you need to watch for the arrow to appear on the right side to the blue "P".....

·
Registered
817 Posts
I wonder if the MY 2016 180∘ view camera can be a direct plug and play for replacing the MY 2015 narrower view camera? We will see….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shark did you ever hear back about the dealer install for the camera, I asked my dealer the same question earlier this week when I found out from the parts department that the rear hatch insert with the camera was available. The service department shop foreman took my VIN to find out if the wiring was installed and it was a case of exchanging the component and connecting the camera but the were moving to there new location this week and I won't here back till next week some time.......

Also I was thinking the same about my park assist till I realized it has to detect a spot between two cars that is available it will not activate if there is just random cars parked along the street and you have room to drive into the spot.....you need to watch for the arrow to appear on the right side to the blue "P".....
I'm still trying to get an answer from Mercedes Canada about getting the camera install for no additional cost because of the package I have with the car. There was another GLA at the dealership with the same package options and the cost the exact same but in silver, we wanted a white GLA. To me it sounds unfair to pay for something extra that the car should have came with.

Now I have to drive 1.5hrs to the dealership and ask my sale man for the VIN of the silver car so Mercedes Canada can compare the option and then maybe they would install a camera. The guy on the phone can't guarantee if they can do it or not. So I may waste my time driving there.

bellermb did you dealership get back to you?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts