Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan and Daimler Reportedly Set Up Mexican Joint Venture to Build Next-Gen GLA, Infinitis - Carscoops

Nissan and Daimler are said to have agreed on plans for a 50-50 Mexican joint venture that will produce future Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz vehicles. According to an unnamed person with knowledge of the matter cited by Reuters, the two carmakers signed a memorandum of understanding last month to create the venture.
The joint venture is expected to build the next-generation Mercedes GLA crossover and all-new Infiniti cars at Nissan’s Aguascalientes plant northeast of Guadalajara. Neither Nissan nor Daimler would confirm the Mexico joint venture production plan.

Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and alliance partner Renault have so far shared engines, plants and vehicle platforms for small cars and vans since Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche and Renault Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn announced a broad-based partnership in 2010, including token reciprocal shareholdings.

In 2012, Nissan announced plans to build a first Infiniti model based on Mercedes’ current compact car architecture. Production of the vehicle, previewed by the Etherea concept, is scheduled to start next year in Sunderland, northeast England.

The collaboration between Renault-Nissan and Daimler has so far materialized in Mercedes-Benz getting the Citan small commercial vehicle, based on the Renault Kangoo, and small Renault diesel engines (1.5-liter and 1.6-liter) for the A-Class/B-Class and C-Class, respectively. On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz has supplied a 2.2-liter turbodiesel and a 2.0-liter turbocharged petrol unit for Infiniti’s Q50.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Great for both sides. Mercedes and Mexico. But im not sure what build quality is going to be like, if we can expect it to be just as good as anywhere else or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
great news.

lower production costs.
Great news for who? Because honestly, you and I both know Mercedes isn't going to cut OUR transaction costs because they've been able to lower their production costs. Which is funny because increases in production costs are always passed on, interesting how savings aren't ;)

I'm quickly becoming disillusioned with these baby Benzes. I've taken the CLA out a number of times and couldn't shake the feeling that I was driving something Japanese in a German suit, now the GLA is going to be built in Mexico... So a Japanese derived platform uses a French engine, built on a Mexican assembly line and sold into America as a PREMIUM German product.

How much? Do you take Monopoly money?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Great news for who? Because honestly, you and I both know Mercedes isn't going to cut OUR transaction costs because they've been able to lower their production costs. Which is funny because increases in production costs are always passed on, interesting how savings aren't ;)

I'm quickly becoming disillusioned with these baby Benzes. I've taken the CLA out a number of times and couldn't shake the feeling that I was driving something Japanese in a German suit, now the GLA is going to be built in Mexico... So a Japanese derived platform uses a French engine, built on a Mexican assembly line and sold into America as a PREMIUM German product.

How much? Do you take Monopoly money?
I see it as the "cost" of owning an entry-level mercedes.
people who are truely wealthy will own a REAL mercedes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see it as the "cost" of owning an entry-level mercedes.
people who are truely wealthy will own a REAL mercedes.
All of the models are real Mercedes.

It's just that you get more "Mercedes" for your money when you buy a more expensive model.

·
Registered
694 Posts
All of the models are real Mercedes.

It's just that you get more "Mercedes" for your money when you buy a more expensive model.
I was basically trying to say it's less of a mercedes, even people that reviewed it say that it's like that, in the end these are sub $35k MB's so not much to expect.

·
Registered
295 Posts
at least people who are buying the gla won't have to worry about what the build quality of their vehicle will be like coming from mexico

·
Registered
694 Posts
that too, that's actually very likely of happening, once it does i would just be concerned of where exactly it's getting built at, like what country.

·
Registered
694 Posts
that's great news, good to see things are moving along even more.
seems like maybe in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year we may be hearing much more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts