Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That means we'd have to wait 2 or more years.

And you would have to cancel your trip!

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
The trip is going forward. Or I will need some years to acquire forgiveness from my better half!!!

No guarantee the new version will be in our market for 2018 anyway.

This car is Pam's. 375 HP will be a welcome increase for her. I'll enjoy it for trips where we need more space than the 997 offers but less than the F250. That will be only 5 to 10K miles a year. And she is not going to let me track it!!! In other words, for the our use, 375 HP will be quite ample!!!

Hmmmm, but what does too much power feel like?!?!

Just as an update ... the car is slated to be built between now and the 10th. Pick up is at the end of the month.

We've got reservations for the Museums and the Porsche Factory Tour, but can't get a date for the AMG Factory until we have a VIN. For that tour you need to prove ownership.

I plan to post trip events and pictures on the fly. More to come, and we are definitely open to ideas and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Is your delivery date still the first week of August? If so, you're due ... NOW!!!

Waiting for your pictures and observations. I think you must be the first to see the 2017!!!

Good luck :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah.. mine got pushed out to September because of factory shut down in August.
My rep didn't even give me which week in September.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Garu ... a part of the following assumes you are in North America. This is to figure shipping time into the equation. If my assumption of your location is wrong, then the following may have holes in it.

I'm sorry to hear about your delay. I can only imagine your disappointment. I was really looking forward to your first impressions. I'm sure many others on the Forum feel the same.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation (and no information) going on. I sense your frustration, especially in the lack of a committed date. Personally, I abhor a vacuum. I'd rather sort through marginal information than none at all. So ...

I'm not sure if the following is accurate. This is my first experience dealing with Mercedes. I am reading between the lines a bit. This is merely my view. But I write this with the hopes that it may give you a better chance of getting better (more specific) information.

I certainly don't know of a way to put it delicately, but I will try (I don't like sending messages that are not uplifting and I've been having a difficult time hitting the send icon) ...

We ordered Pam's car immediately after the USA DOG came out. It was the day that the dealer computers were first updated to allow an order entry. In other words, we were early in the queue.

Our first personal time slot for pick up was August. Initially our dealer felt the car would not be ready that soon. Our next available time would be a couple of months later. By law, this later time slot would require non-returnable snow tires. I did not want snow tires. Our dealer thought we would have to wait until next Spring.

But then we were informed that 31 August would be the pick up date. The dealer was surprised that the factory offered this, and assured us that once committed to, this was absolute. Then, a couple of months ago, we found out that our build date was the start of August (more specifically the first decade ... between the first and the tenth). I didn't understand why the factory would want to store our car for three weeks, but a shut down in the latter half of the month would explain that. But I am still confused by the three week delivery delay, unless the build date doesn't allow for final testing and QC / QA until the factory returns.

A factory shut down would not affect the shipping lines if a shut down is holding up your car. Are you sure they are not quoting build date rather than delivery?

And this is where your location comes into play.

From what I know, the dealer gets the vessel information when your car ships. That gives you several weeks to track it into port, through customs and preparation, and to the dealer. So if sometime in September is accurate, you should have shipping information already (assuming a long shipping time to your location).

I have grown to trust our dealer. When I mentioned your delivery date some weeks ago he was skeptical. He said that they planned first dealer deliveries to coincide with first European Delivery final destination deliveries. I have also been told that Mercedes has let cars sit in ports to make the deliveries coincide. This only matters if Pam and I are getting one of the first deliveries, which may or may not be the case. I am quoted 2 to 3 months before State Side arrival. My dealer felt that would correspond with the first 2017 dealer delivered arrivals. A build date of your car in mid September would fit that data.

On the other hand ...

If you are in England your shipping times are less. There may be European Deliveries this week. Assuming that your car is being built alongside ours, that QC and QA can be done before the factory shuts down, and add in the shipping time to England (for instance), and mid September could be spot on. So your dealer's first date would have been the build date and the second date would be the delivery date. But England is close to Stuttgart . The short shipping distance would not allow for a lot of tracking time. This could logically work out even if the first factory releases are late in August.

I realize my explanation above is incomplete and perhaps confusing, but this is already too long. Perhaps if you take the above logic to your dealer and ask for a build date you can find a path to a better, more accurate, delivery date.

Again, I'm very sorry to hear of your delay. Good luck with your dealer and hopefully you will be driving your new car very soon.

Wayne

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for all the details.

I am located just wee north east of you. (Canada)

Based on my experience from purchasing '14 CLA250 for wife, once the dealer told me the car is manufactured and provided me with VIN, it took about 2 weeks before the actual delivery.

I am not sure about AMG models, but CLA250 got loaded from Bremerhaven.
I know the ship usually drops by Halifax first than goes to US. Bremerhaven to Halifax took about 5 days and since I am closer to East in Canada, it took less than a week for the car to arrive in Toronto from Halifax.

Based on this once they can provide me with a VIN, I should see my car in 2 to 3 weeks time.
I'm not really disappointed about the delay. At least the dealer was upfront about it.
At this point I just hope the car would get here before the winter is upon us..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Wayne and Garu. Love the info. I purchased a 2017 GLA 45 for my wife on May 7th. Told the delivery date was Aug 26th. I have been reading many posts and decided to ask for the build sheet and updated invoice showing the 2017 packages just a week ago. Updated delivery is now Sept 26th. A little frustrating but I know it will be worth it.

My big question is this. Does anyone know of an online system to monitor the build and delivery. I purchased a Ford Focus ST in 2012 They had such a system. Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW I am located in Ottawa Canada.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
I was told by my dealer my build date was scheduled for the decade of days starting August 1. This was available to me by mid-May when my August 31 European Delivery date was stated. This was the best I could get. This was verified when I got my VIN last Friday.

I do not know of anything online.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Wayne and Garu. Love the info. I purchased a 2017 GLA 45 for my wife on May 7th. Told the delivery date was Aug 26th. I have been reading many posts and decided to ask for the build sheet and updated invoice showing the 2017 packages just a week ago. Updated delivery is now Sept 26th. A little frustrating but I know it will be worth it.

My big question is this. Does anyone know of an online system to monitor the build and delivery. I purchased a Ford Focus ST in 2012 They had such a system. Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW I am located in Ottawa Canada.
Hey that's the exactly same delivery date as mine!
You should have received your VIN by now.
Read further here for some tracking information, it won't be like Ford though.
http://www.glaowners.com/forum/dealers-purchases-orders/16745-2017-order-waiting-room-6.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
Because, you know, 375 is just not enough out of a 2.0L Turbo charged inline 4 LOLOLOLOLOL.

I mean, they've gone from Ridiculous to Ludicrous . . . absolutely nuts the power output!

If I gotta have it that bad will just start throwing tunes and parts at it. I got a feeling I'm going to be just fine with 2016's 375. THREE HUNDRED SEVENTY FIVE! Good lord!

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
HP is something you adapt to and get used to. And then you want more. It doesn't matter how much you start with ... you will want more.

FWIW, my 997.2 C4S has 385 HP and weighs 200 pounds less than the GLA.

Would I like more power? Of course!!!

Do I need more? Of course not!!!

The 45 is spooky when you look at the output per liter. It is even more spooky that it comes with a warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Like a few of you, I went the sleeper route with the GLA45. I remain spellbound by its performance, though still somewhat curious what the perception of say 420 hp might be. Never the less, I've decided to keep the car as is. Why change something that works so well? Maybe another Merc down the road. Maybe.

While I know sooner or later someone is going to roll by a bit faster, it hasn't happened yet. A new Jag tried recently, and that resolved quite satisfactorily. I honestly savor every moment I'm in this car.

On a final note, I haven't floored it yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"and that resolved quite satisfactorily". Awesome! :)

Like a few of you, I went the sleeper route with the GLA45. I remain spellbound by its performance, though still somewhat curious what the perception of say 420 hp might be. Never the less, I've decided to keep the car as is. Why change something that works so well? Maybe another Merc down the road. Maybe.

While I know sooner or later someone is going to roll by a bit faster, it hasn't happened yet. A new Jag tried recently, and that resolved quite satisfactorily. I honestly savor every moment I'm in this car.

On a final note, I haven't floored it yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts