Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from W.Va and a soon to be new GLA 250 4-Motion owner. Started the Carvana purchase process for a 2018 model with only 6300 miles on it and will be checking it out in person next Monday at their Gaithersburg location.

After owning VW's for 30+ years, I switched brands after the diesel debacle and picked up a Subaru Crosstrek. Comparing the two brands, I've really learned to appreciate the handling characteristics of German engineering and am looking forward to getting back to that.

Will be trying to fit in here and make whatever contribution I'm capable of, while learning a few things from all you experienced GLA owners. Maybe we'll cross paths on the road some day.

Cheers! Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Welcome!!! And good luck with your purchase. The Forum is filled with lots of information. Use the search tool to look. One thought is ...

But there are many more.

Post pictures when you get your new ride.

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
Welcome Mike. I'm a MB-convert from VAG myself (well, still have one...). Much of the German engineering as you cite is common but Benz has some very nice uniqueness as well.
Be sure to check out the Benz YouTube tutorials in addition to the wealth on information in this forum:

·
601 Posts
Welcome to the form. I had a 2013 VW diesel and when the lease end and VW had the diesel problem switched to a 2016 GLA, when that lease ended got the 2019 GLA as we loved the look, ride, and performance of the GLA. Wish you luck in your pending purchase.

Reactions: Cyclerosis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Mike. I'm a MB-convert from VAG myself (well, still have one...). Much of the German engineering as you cite is common but Benz has some very nice uniqueness as well.
Be sure to check out the Benz YouTube tutorials in addition to the wealth on information in this forum:
Thanks for the video link. I've been making my S/O crazy with all the YouTube videos on Mercedes tips and tricks, although, after a test drive, she really does like the car. The only real concern I have is the lack of a spare tire and jack and web shopping for a repair kit with a 12V compressor has consumed a little of my time, but I think we'll make due.

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
Mike, just curious but do you not trust run-flat tires to get you to a shop?

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Spare tires are weight. Weight affects CAFE. It is not unusual to not have a spare.

I carry plugs and snot with a compressor in my Porsche 997.2. I also have a jack and an assortment of tools with hand cleaner and a change of clothes. In 100K miles I haven't needed any of this but it does offer peace of mind.

There isn't as much room in the GLA. So it only gets the snot and compressor that came with the car (no run flats on the factory tires so the 45 comes with the above instead) and a tire plug kit. I like the Smitty Bilt Plug Repair Kit but there are many other options out there as well.

You could order the same parts that should fit under the rear floor.

Run flats are non repairable but short of wheel damage they will generally get you to civilization. And they work pretty well ...

The only tire problem I've had was in Oregon when I hit a road colored insulator left behind by the electric company (apparently a thing up there per the tow truck driver who was surprised we didn't break the wheel). The sidewall blew out so the only option was a tow. A run flat probably would not have survived either. That failure resulted in Goodyear run flats on the back and the Michelin MP4S tires that were on the rear now moved to the front (you take what you can get). I didn't have any problems with the mix but we did change back to all MP4S when we got home. I may use those two virtually new run flats with two more when I put on the next set of tires.

There's always AAA top service (Gold???) that will pay for towing up to 100 miles I believe.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, just curious but do you not trust run-flat tires to get you to a shop?
I have no prior experience with them. Every other car I've owned, except a tiny little Scion iQ I once had, came equipped with a spare. Planning to carry a plug kit and 12V compressor just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up the car from the Carvana dealership in Gaithersburg this afternoon. It looks great! It's going to need some interior detailing, but they had it looking pretty good. There were about 15 phones listed on the head unit and I spent about an hour learning some of the basic functions and settings and deleting old users. Must have been a car2go vehicle.
IMG_20200803_160814.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck getting used to your new car. There are a lot of good posts here on tips and tricks and hidden features. Use the search tool to go wild. Post pics and impressions when you get the chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts