Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's not the direction most people go with these, but I chose to switch to 17" rims and very slightly larger tires than what is recommended for 17" (225/60 R17). I have a lot of rough roads around here and don't want to repeat the mistakes I made with my A3 3.2 S-line Audi (which was on its third suspension @ 150K miles). The overall diameter only increased by 12mm, so the actual height is just about 1/4" taller (not looking to lift the car!). I like the look of how far out our wheels sit on these cars, so I went for an offset that pushed the outer edge out by just a bit. I really like the result.

Hopefully, the higher sidewall/smaller rim and the only AT tires Tire Rack had for the GLA will help with longevity. Yes, I know some of you may think what I have done here is a travesty or an abomination. I get it. And, yes, one of the cars I was considering when I bought this was indeed a Subaru Outback...so I like what I've done here. I am not looking for a big SUV; I like a "Cute Ute" or a "hearty hatchback". It seems "eminently practical" and that is not a term typically associated with "Mercedes" in the USA!

These tires are also rated for extreme winter weather, so I hope they will serve as snow tires well enough to meet my steep, snowy driveway needs.

The mud flaps were a Chinese knock-off of OEM and only cost $42, with shipping, for all four (eBay from China, leave lots of time for shipping). The front ones required a little bit of modification to fit, but I like the look and hopefully, they will be functional as well because I expect these tires to be sloppy in the rain and mud!

BTW, here are the Rims and Tires I purchased at Tire Rack (I have no affiliation, just providing the links for information). The center caps from my MB OEM rims moved over as a perfect fit, so that's why you see the MB logo on the rims.
Here is a link to the Mud Flaps. Installation does require one hole to be drilled for each flap. Be prepared to have to trim down the retainer clip and shorten the provided screws for installing the front ones. The cost savings made it worth it to me, but if you don't want to do that I suggest the OEM mud flaps.

·
Registered
2019 GLA 250
1 Posts
Looks great. I have slightly oversized Falken Wildpeak AT on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Great tire for over 40K miles.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks! I had them out on the highway and they were much quieter than I expected. I also aimed for every pothole I saw and they seem to handle those nicely.

I used to have a Cherokee and then a YJ and I always favored BF Goodrich A/T's on those, so this is my first experience with Falkens. I might be trying to make a "love child" of my beloved former Audi and my husband's Toyota FJ cruiser! Each extreme has its downside, so maybe I can mitigate the drawbacks with my x-over?

So far, so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the look. Was hoping to do something like this to my 2021 gla amg35 (also live around lots of dirt roads / little trails). Any idea if these same wheel specs would work on a 2021 amg35 or are the brakes too big on mine?

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! You will probably have fewer choices because of the brakes being so big (but, hey, that's a small price to pay for serious stopping power, right?). Plus, you've got a really nice new car to start with!

My process to make sure I found something to fit was this:
  1. I started at Tirerack.com, and put in my make/model/year to search for rim choices. They should only list options that will work for your car (unless of course, you've changed something from stock or official options). There was quite a bit of variety for rim width and offset for my car. They have really helpful staff if you have questions (via chat, phone, or email).
  2. Then, I went to Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets and put in my existing rim/tire combination for the comparison and started messing around with numbers for the rim/tire options I was considering. What's great about this calculator is that it will let you put in the exact combination you're considering and it will tell you the exact dimension changes, possible impact on performance, etc. So, I was able to pick a wider rim, larger offset, with a neutral effect on the scrub radius. I knew the wheel well clearance would be OK even though I was going slightly larger in diameter. The calculator also tells you how much the brake clearance needed will change, which will probably be your dealbreaker for some options.
  3. Once I knew what geometry I wanted, I returned to Tirerack and filtered the results for the diameter, offset, rim width combination that I determined from step #2 and then it was just a matter of color, price, and availability!
If you're located near any of Tire Rack's warehouses, you can pick up from them for a discount (in my case, discount + no sales tax in Delaware = woo-hoo!)

My setup turned out to be exactly as expected thanks to the process. I'm really happy with the ride so far.

Good luck! Enjoy your awesome new AMG!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts