Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I think it’s time to replace my rotors and pads all around. Now I like doing my own work so I’m not worried about the labor. So to get to the point has anyone bought the Brembo rotors and pads before? Going through Mercedes Stealership to get the parts is crazy expensive compared to Brembo’s website.
Do you guys recommend any other brand or website or should I just go ahead and buy them from Brembo. I rather stay OEM btw

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can highly recommend DISC ITALIA HYPERCERAMIC pads. I got them from brakeworld. Almost dustless and same stopping power as OEM.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can highly recommend DISC ITALIA HYPERCERAMIC pads. I got them from brakeworld. Almost dustless and same stopping power as OEM.

i have these as well, good stuff!
c

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey guys so I think it’s time to replace my rotors and pads all around. Now I like doing my own work so I’m not worried about the labor. So to get to the point has anyone bought the Brembo rotors and pads before? Going through Mercedes Stealership to get the parts is crazy expensive compared to Brembo’s website.
Do you guys recommend any other brand or website or should I just go ahead and buy them from Brembo. I rather stay OEM btw

Consider ebay, I bought a kit like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercedes-X156-X117-C117-14-17-Front-Rear-Disc-Brake-Rotors-w-Pads-Genuine/152765909636?fits=Model%3AGLA45+AMG%7CMake%3AMercedes-Benz&hash=item23918eca84:g:TSwAAOSw4PxZ9zGh

ebay sent me a 10% coupon around holidays last year which put the entire OEM kit well under $800, free ship. Oh I see the front sensor is not in this one, I had a new one of those included as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Autohausaz.com

I use them for Porsche brake jobs and am about to do my pads/rotors on the 45 as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I noticed the same. Brembo is $100 each for the front, $130 each for the rear. $460 is a GREAT price compared to buying OEM, or the risk of buying counterfeit from ebay (which are still more expensive than $460). The rotors are consumable anyways, right?

Any reason not to consider the brembo rotors? I don't see any.

--------

Now pads, I wonder how much discussion would be fun for those. Our brakes are already very good, but I wonder if we can't get even better but still be driveable on the street. In my case, I can live with gobs of dust but I don't want noisy brakes. seems there are not too many people online talking about great brakes that are quiet.

Most seem to want squeeky brakes that are dustless. Or they want the unicorn, no noise, dust, and great stopping power...

Good to know about DISC ITALIA HYPERCERAMIC pads, but if they don't produce dust, then I have to wonder if they are noisy? And if not, I struggle to believe they are the unicorn that can do all three.... so what is the shortcoming?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I noticed the same. Brembo is $100 each for the front, $130 each for the rear. $460 is a GREAT price compared to buying OEM, or the risk of buying counterfeit from ebay (which are still more expensive than $460). The rotors are consumable anyways, right?

Any reason not to consider the brembo rotors? I don't see any.

--------

Now pads, I wonder how much discussion would be fun for those. Our brakes are already very good, but I wonder if we can't get even better but still be driveable on the street. In my case, I can live with gobs of dust but I don't want noisy brakes. seems there are not too many people online talking about great brakes that are quiet.

Most seem to want squeeky brakes that are dustless. Or they want the unicorn, no noise, dust, and great stopping power...

Good to know about DISC ITALIA HYPERCERAMIC pads, but if they don't produce dust, then I have to wonder if they are noisy? And if not, I struggle to believe they are the unicorn that can do all three.... so what is the shortcoming?
none.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Then I have to wonder if I would be leaving something on the table in terms of braking performance if I allowed a bit more dust into the equation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All design is compromise and alas there are no Unicorn pads.

OEM pads contain German gov't mandated graphite so especially visibly dusty. Having said that I'm impressed with how little the GLA's in appearance compared to my Audi's.

But as cited above even the low dust pads produce some dust, it's just not as visible. Or as also cited you sometimes accept more cold-noise and/or less stopping power for better appearance.

Then I have to wonder if I would be leaving something on the table in terms of braking performance if I allowed a bit more dust into the equation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The problem is that the internet collective seems to want squeaky brakes that produce no dust. So there's lots of discussion on that, including some good OEM alternative pads.

But for those (apparently small minority) of us who want grippy street brake pads that are quiet, and are willing to sacrifice on dust (whether visible or not), zero discussion, so we're totally on our own. So it seems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SO.............................whats the answer to replacing the pads???
Which is the overall best....PAD........???

Nache:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the takeaway is there is no best.

One guy wants no dust
Another wants no noise
Another wants extreme hot grip when on the track.

Personally, I just struggle because i have no idea how to judge a pad without talking to others to tell me how to sheeple along :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
We always used Hawk brand pads in our endurance roadracing cars, and our street cars. We used two different pads depending on the track/car. The HPS is labelled as a "street" pad. The HP+ is labelled as an entry level endurance racing pad. I ran both in my previous vehicle that was a daily driver and track day car.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they offer those for the GLA45, but they do have the street pad "HPS 5.0" which is what I'll likely get when I need pads. They say they are a premium replacement pad for European touring sedans and tuners.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/

The HP+ was dusty, the HPS was great all the way around. Haven't tried the HPS 5.0 yet, so not sure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cool stuff, checking the pads.

Turns out if we "cheap out" on brembo vs OEM, it's $460 vs $700. Not alot, but pretty good still. Then I looked at those pads. They are quite pricey! I expect a premium for good pads, but the cost for 4x pads takes the cost of rotors and pads to ~$1050. OEM off ebay if genuine is $950. Not bad, but kinda the wrong direction.

On the other hand, I wonder if the 10% increase in price yields a >10% increase in performance. If it really stops the car on a dime, maybe worth it! Maybe worth looking at even more budget friendly rotors?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great input, thanks everyone! Yeah I guess it is your own preference! I’m not a big fan of buying stuff from eBay so I think I’m going to skip on that. But going to check what everyone posted and make my decision

·
Registered
58 Posts
SO.............................whats the answer to replacing the pads???
Which is the overall best....PAD........???

Nache:)
First you have to answer your question with another question...What is your primary use for the car and what do you want from the brakes???

If you want to track the car, then you would go with a race pad...daily drive, then perhaps a more OEM type pad...."dustless" is marketing hype IMO b/c they ALL produce dust (ceramic dust is lighter in color and seems to build up a little slower)

I'm about to change my pads and rotors next week and I happened to go with Pagids on the front and ATE on the rears.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've been comparing parts and prices from FCP Euro and Tirerack. Cheapest I've ran into is about $950 for front and rear for OEM. Where in NY are you maybe we can do a group brake install day. :)

Great input, thanks everyone! Yeah I guess it is your own preference! I’m not a big fan of buying stuff from eBay so I think I’m going to skip on that. But going to check what everyone posted and make my decision

1 - 20 of 40 Posts