Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmmm.... I told myself that the GLA45 was the one vehicle in my garage that I would NOT mod... but now tempted to do a blanket and the Turbosmart valve... since they are longevity mods not power-adders.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hmmm.... I told myself that the GLA45 was the one vehicle in my garage that I would NOT mod... but now tempted to do a blanket and the Turbosmart valve... since they are longevity mods not power-adders.
I would highly suggest the valve over anything. It's not a hard upgrade to put on and will be much much nicer to your turbo. As for the blanket, the heat dissipation alone is worth the $180

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would highly suggest the valve over anything. It's not a hard upgrade to put on and will be much much nicer to your turbo. As for the blanket, the heat dissipation alone is worth the $180

Any pics of blanket?

·
Registered
444 Posts
google ptp turbo blankets

·
Registered
175 Posts
That looks nice and cleaner than I thought it would.

I'm going to put the valve on my list, just got to decide Turbosmart or other brand, Weistec? It looks like the time to do the valve is when you have things pulled off to do the modification for air filter, I was planning on dropping in the AMS filter/inlet

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe the reason I didn't buy one before is I see Weistec is saying this valve is not legal for use on pollution controlled vehicles. I'll be having to pass emissions here in colorado I think in 2 more yrs, but it does say it will not throw a check engine light.

Just for my understanding, so this valve allows compressed air to be vented instead of somehow flowing back into the compressor housing? And this compressed air would be from the turbo, from spent exhaust gases?

So then the question is, with the newer models and Mercedes having a version of this valve, is the stock MB valve somehow plumbed back into the exhaust to basically be recycled into the system vs. simple venting?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Maybe the reason I didn't buy one before is I see Weistec is saying this valve is not legal for use on pollution controlled vehicles. I'll be having to pass emissions here in colorado I think in 2 more yrs, but it does say it will not throw a check engine light.

Just for my understanding, so this valve allows compressed air to be vented instead of somehow flowing back into the compressor housing? And this compressed air would be from the turbo, from spent exhaust gases?

So then the question is, with the newer models and Mercedes having a version of this valve, is the stock MB valve somehow plumbed back into the exhaust to basically be recycled into the system vs. simple venting?
Let’s unpack this a bit. Emissions tests are done through OBD sensor. If you do not throw a check engine light, there will be no way for a shop to know the difference. One exception to this rule is visual. If they pop the hood and see it and are particularly aggressive they may fail you but I see that as a slim to none situation. Especially since I can’t even see it without moving items to look down there.

The nature of a blow of valve is to release that air to atmosphere instead of surge for when the valve is closed and pressurized air returns to the turbo (or never leaves) or another option being recirculated/diverted. There are valves that can do both (adjustable atmosphere vs recirc) or one or the other.

Now I can’t answer 100% on the type that Mercedes went with but I imagine it’s a recirculated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know they do visual inspection here, but from what I have observed this seems to be what happens:

1) newer vehicle gets "plugged in" period. It scans whatever info. including codes and I think you are mostly done.
2) gas cap has to fit properly,

3) older vehicles I have seen them check under hood, and mirror on stick kinda setup, check under vehicle. Believe this to be a very basic check of smog devices such as cats as well as overall exhaust system.

They are in no way capable of noticing the difference in turbo and a blow off, though they could understand if they see anything aftermarket that stands out to them.....i.e. maybe headers, other exhaust modifications?

In any case, someone with newer can likely validate the recirculating type of blow off valve we both believe MB uses on newer models. In this case the only reason you'd likely also move this and leave it plugged in and add another is for better valve quality and air venting "cool" noise, hopefully not a whistle?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know they do visual inspection here
Yes, in Colorado I've gone through **** with emissions on my Shelby and the built Subaru I had before that. I've failed 3 times for every time I've passed on those cars but they are both heavily modified, fully custom tunes, etc. Anyhow, yes, it must pass the OBD test and the gas cap test. Those parts are easy. From there it has to pass the sniffer - the exhaust gas analysis. Just 3 gasses, can't recall exactly what, but power-adders and custom tunes can create some problems here. The last part is the visual inspection. The #1 most important thing is that the car have the correct number, and configuration, of catalytic converters. I've never had any complaints about aftermarket turbos, superchargers, downpipes, BOV's, etc. I do know that they work to get tougher on inspections every year and the goalpost is constantly moving.

All that said, I don't think this valve would be an issue for emissions, but maybe just maybe since they are getting crazy. Let me know what you decide to do, Shadofax... I'm undecided at this point and concerned, since under warranty, if dealer would give me any grief if anything came up related to the engine or turbo down the road... Yeah, I know it adds safety, but hate to give a dealership ammo to deny a claim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
I know they do visual inspection here, but from what I have observed this seems to be what happens:

1) newer vehicle gets "plugged in" period. It scans whatever info. including codes and I think you are mostly done.
2) gas cap has to fit properly,

3) older vehicles I have seen them check under hood, and mirror on stick kinda setup, check under vehicle. Believe this to be a very basic check of smog devices such as cats as well as overall exhaust system.

They are in no way capable of noticing the difference in turbo and a blow off, though they could understand if they see anything aftermarket that stands out to them.....i.e. maybe headers, other exhaust modifications?

In any case, someone with newer can likely validate the recirculating type of blow off valve we both believe MB uses on newer models. In this case the only reason you'd likely also move this and leave it plugged in and add another is for better valve quality and air venting "cool" noise, hopefully not a whistle?
It does not whistle. It’s like a moderate sound of air whoosh. I don’t want to make your mind up for you and have you dinged at emissions but I just can’t imagine it being an issue. Let me know what you decide, I am certain you will be happy if you move forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I know they do visual inspection here
Yes, in Colorado I've gone through **** with emissions on my Shelby and the built Subaru I had before that. I've failed 3 times for every time I've passed on those cars but they are both heavily modified, fully custom tunes, etc. Anyhow, yes, it must pass the OBD test and the gas cap test. Those parts are easy. From there it has to pass the sniffer - the exhaust gas analysis. Just 3 gasses, can't recall exactly what, but power-adders and custom tunes can create some problems here. The last part is the visual inspection. The #1 most important thing is that the car have the correct number, and configuration, of catalytic converters. I've never had any complaints about aftermarket turbos, superchargers, downpipes, BOV's, etc. I do know that they work to get tougher on inspections every year and the goalpost is constantly moving.

All that said, I don't think this valve would be an issue for emissions, but maybe just maybe since they are getting crazy. Let me know what you decide to do, Shadofax... I'm undecided at this point and concerned, since under warranty, if dealer would give me any grief if anything came up related to the engine or turbo down the road... Yeah, I know it adds safety, but hate to give a dealership ammo to deny a claim.
Mercedes of Farmington let me know that if my car was still under factory warranty that they would cover my car with the same warranty standards for the weistec tune and ASV

·
Registered
175 Posts

I am going to buy the Weistec, not immediately, I'm about to make a last payment and want to get that done mid. Aug. I had put down like $30k when my car came off emissions, so between taxes, etc. I had about $9k to pay from last year. From the feedback, I can't see this as being flagged, so I should be fine. The sniffer test won't pick up anything since there should be no change in what it is emitting. It is either within spec or it's not. No other way for them to know of this venting and it won't even be engaging the blow off I'd think for the actual test. My car won't ever see cat, downpipe, tune, I don't think. I just want to also buy the AMS air filter/intake.

Mercedes of Farmington let me know that if my car was still under factory warranty that they would cover my car with the same warranty standards for the weistec tune and ASV

That's pretty cool, course I am out of warranty at this point, past the 4 yrs.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I have Weistecs BOV and their air filter. Happy with both.

Weistec puts that disclaimer on ALL their stuff. It doesn't necessarily mean the part will cause problems, or is actually illegal in your state.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts