Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

New owner of a 2019 GLA250

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ARomero87 
#1 ·
Good evening to you all! I just bought my first Mercedes 2 weeks ago and have some questions. Since it’s my first, I don’t know what are normals for this car and I’m a very anxious person. Also if this is not the correct place for this please let me know. The auto start/stop seems rough when starting back up, is this normal? Sometimes it seems like it is hesitating when I put the vehicle in reverse and when driving in automatic mode when coming to a stop it does not going into D1 mode until I’m at a complete stop rather than shifting down when slowing down. I’m still trying to figure out how to work everything as I’ve been a Kia person before this. Also unfortunately my vehicle only came with 1 key fob (I wasn’t aware until after all the paper work was signed) is the Mercedes dealership my only option for a replacement? I was quotes $750 dollars at my local (only) dealership. Last thing, I plan and hope to have this car for a very long time. It only had 20,000 miles on it. Are there any upgrades you would absolutely recommend? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Car Vehicle Tire Plant Grille

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the group.

The GLA has a dual-clutch transmission and not your normal auto-trans. It shifts gears based on what the car thinks you are doing, such as slowing down or speeding up and what gear to prepare for the next shift. This is very much what you would do if it was a manual trans and doing the thinking. Note if the trans will use 2nd gear to start from and not 1st gear in C or E mode. Likewise, it will use 1st gear to start in S mode but change to 2nd very fast based on your driving demand.

To train the trans to your driving style, you could do what is referred to as a Transmission reset. After doing this, the GLA will learn your driving style for better shifting gears.

The stop-start when restarting the car will shake a little in the process. I found this normal in both a 2016 GLA and the 2019 GLA that I currently have.

Tips. It is a lot of reading, but you might want to scan these posts.

The key, you can only get it from MB. Each key is matched to the car with codes. You will need proof of ownership to purchase the key. I think the dealer price is way over the MSRP.
Maybe check on dealers some distance from you and call and ask for prices. A road trip might save you some money and get to know the GLA simultaneously.

#3 ·
Good evening to you all! I just bought my first Mercedes 2 weeks ago and have some questions. Since it’s my first, I don’t know what are normals for this car and I’m a very anxious person. Also if this is not the correct place for this please let me know. The auto start/stop seems rough when starting back up, is this normal? Sometimes it seems like it is hesitating when I put the vehicle in reverse and when driving in automatic mode when coming to a stop it does not going into D1 mode until I’m at a complete stop rather than shifting down when slowing down. I’m still trying to figure out how to work everything as I’ve been a Kia person before this. Also unfortunately my vehicle only came with 1 key fob (I wasn’t aware until after all the paper work was signed) is the Mercedes dealership my only option for a replacement? I was quotes $750 dollars at my local (only) dealership. Last thing, I plan and hope to have this car for a very long time. It only had 20,000 miles on it. Are there any upgrades you would absolutely recommend? Any help is appreciated! Thank you! View attachment 27380
[/QUOTE.
I also purchased my 1st MB, a 2019 GLA 250 2 years ago with similar mileage and also got only 1 key fob. I purchased a second one from the dealer for around $450 including programming. The $750 price you mentioned seems excessive.
The first thing I do after starting the car is turn off the auto stop/ start function.
I also use a independent shop for oil changes every 4500-5000 miles who charges $90 here in NJ using Fuchs Titan MB approved oil.
Happy motoring!🚗

#4 ·
I also purchased my 1st MB, a 2019 GLA 250 2 years ago with similar mileage and also got only 1 key fob. I purchased a second one from the dealer for around $450 including programming. The $750 price you mentioned seems excessive.
The first thing I do after starting the car is turn off the auto stop/ start function.
I also use a independent shop for oil changes every 4500-5000 miles who charges $90 here in NJ using Fuchs Titan MB approved oil.
Happy motoring!🚗

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.