Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal...I drove the GLA45 a few weeks ago and was absolutely smitten. I used to have a VR6 GTI (decades ago), and for me, the GLA45 is like that car kicked up about 10 notches. Agile, fast, and making all the right sounds.

I'm coming out of an e90 335xi that I loved, and I don't think I could live with the GLA250...I'd just miss the power. But of course, there is the added expense of the GLA45 (in terms of price, servicing, insurance, etc.)

Consider this an invitation to share stories of how much you love your GLA45/a chance to drag another enthusiast down the rabbit hole.

Of course, if anyone has a cautionary tale or two, feel free to share those as well.

Found the site via Google. Based in US.

·
Registered
880 Posts
So here's the deal...I drove the GLA45 a few weeks ago and was absolutely smitten. I used to have a VR6 GTI (decades ago), and for me, the GLA45 is like that car kicked up about 10 notches. Agile, fast, and making all the right sounds.

I'm coming out of an e90 335xi that I loved, and I don't think I could live with the GLA250...I'd just miss the power. But of course, there is the added expense of the GLA45 (in terms of price, servicing, insurance, etc.)

Consider this an invitation to share stories of how much you love your GLA45/a chance to drag another enthusiast down the rabbit hole.

Of course, if anyone has a cautionary tale or two, feel free to share those as well.

Found the site via Google. Based in US.
Moved from a e90 to a GLA45 myself, well almost (car stuck in customs). For me there was no reason to move to a GLA unless its a 45. The e90 is a very versatile car and almost no reason to get rid of it (except for Vanos dying).

Not sure if you read the other threads but as of now all 2016 45s (Cla and gla) are stuck at mercedes vehicle prep centers. Theres a chance they will be released next wk but who knows... some have been waiting since last oct/nov

Major differences for 2016 being
- a new navi unit from the C class
- +20hp
- updated gear ratios
- increase cost
- option for adjustable suspension

if you can live without those you can probably get a great deal for 2015 right about now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I came out of 4 Porsche Boxsters in a row, I drove a GLA45AMG and decided to make a change. Actually I liked the way it drove and the acceleration myself and one day shortly after I had the car my wife was driving it and said "this drives and feels just your Porsches" which was funny because I had thought the same thing. So from a 2 seat Porsche to a 4 door AMG with no regrets. Firm ride and handling, great power and acceleration and lots of looks from people in other cars, Huge difference between the regular GLA and the 45AMG. By the way she has a new C class.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I needed a car "now" and the black interior with anthracite liner was available, but the ash grey with brushed aluminum wasn't immediately available...
A part of me really wishes I could have waited five more weeks for the interior I really wanted...but I think in time I'll grow to like the weird wavy lines of anthracite.

Moral of Story: Spec what you really want and stick to it. #firstworldproblems

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I came out of 4 Porsche Boxsters in a row.

I faced the same decision, Boxster or GLA45? Ultimately decided to keep the Boxster and buy a GLA250 as my daily driver. Higher ground clearance for Indiana snows was the tipping factor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up a 2015 GLA45 today. Would have preferred 2016 (moar powa! and bigger nav screen), but the 2015 was a good deal. Fairly basic car...no sunroof or red-cut interior, but sports seats and exhaust. Also very incognito...no spoilers or red calipers. I had them debadge everything but stars front and rear. It's "stealth mode" until you hear the exhaust do it's thing on the upshifts.

So far, car is a hoot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Came from a modded E92 335 to a GLA 45 AMG and didn't regret it one bit.

No need for mods, an extra 2 doors and still has the power to move along nicely.

Looking gorgeous is definitely a plus too! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Five days into ownership and have these comments:

- I think I love this car...very Jekyll & Hyde. You can drive it all day in Comfort/Eco mode and never break 3000 rpm, or you can put it into sport and scare the neighbors with the exhaust blats on spirited upshifts
- Steering feel is so light/overboosted (compared to N55 e90 I just came out of) but somehow I don't mind
- Gosh-darn those sport seat bolsters as massive (making ingress semi-challenging)
- Couldn't unlock "Race" mode/Launch Control for the life of me...forgot to put ESP into "Sport" mode. Note, still under 1k miles, so haven't yet used Race mode.
- Great headlights
- Turning radius seems wider than e90, making some parking lot maneuvers more "3 point turny" than expected

·
Registered
880 Posts
Things to take note,

do you have 2015? or 16? The light steering i found on my 16 is strictly to comfort mode, in sport and above the steering is stiff

Came from a E90M myself

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2015. Still under 1000 miles, so mostly running in comfort mode, trying to baby engine/car until the break in period is over.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 2015. Still under 1000 miles, so mostly running in comfort mode, trying to baby engine/car until the break in period is over.
Gonna be the "longest 1,000miles"!! Haha!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Getting to 1,000 miles very quickly!

Last night, I had to merge onto a busy freeway via a very short entrance ramp. Had the window open to get a better view of the traffic...and so got to hear what the exhaust blats sound like on upshifts under hard acceleration. Awesome.

This is a very special vehicle, IMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Came from a hatch Subaru STi and loving the GLA 45. I see a few things that are design flaws but all in all I love driving the car.

It is hard to keep the speed legal. It probably doesn't handle as well as the Subi as the awd isn't full time but 30 mpg is hard to beat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Spdrush: I'm just noticing how **** big the B pillar is...I don't put my seat back very far and the B-Pillar is pretty much just to the left of my head. In our other cars, it's well behind my head. Glad I have the blind spot alert option!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update after a few months/few thousand miles with the car (2015 GLA45)....

First, I still love it. It feels more "special" to me than my last DD, a 335xi (e90).

If you leave it in Comfort/Eco mode, there is a ton of lag in the throttle response/turbo response. But as soon as you toggle into Sport mode, everything perks up.

The "fart" noises on full throttle upshifts in Sport mode still cause me to giggle..and my passengers to freak out. "Is something broken?" is something I've heard a few times from different people.

Car is very fun to drive. Keep in mind that I also own a Lotus Seven (which is sort of the holy grail of "fun to drive" cars), so I have a very high standard when it comes to this.

Thinking about getting aftermarket (Revozport) shift paddles....does anyone own these? If so, are you happy? And how do they attach to existing paddles?

Car is great for long hauls as well as daily commute.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Update after a few months/few thousand miles with the car (2015 GLA45)....

First, I still love it. It feels more "special" to me than my last DD, a 335xi (e90).

If you leave it in Comfort/Eco mode, there is a ton of lag in the throttle response/turbo response. But as soon as you toggle into Sport mode, everything perks up.

The "fart" noises on full throttle upshifts in Sport mode still cause me to giggle..and my passengers to freak out. "Is something broken?" is something I've heard a few times from different people.

Car is very fun to drive. Keep in mind that I also own a Lotus Seven (which is sort of the holy grail of "fun to drive" cars), so I have a very high standard when it comes to this.

Thinking about getting aftermarket (Revozport) shift paddles....does anyone own these? If so, are you happy? And how do they attach to existing paddles?

Car is great for long hauls as well as daily commute.
Glad to hear !! Revozport shift paddles are ridiculously expensive think they use double sided tape. Some ebay ones from china sometimes uses miniscrews to secure it

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-For-Me...ash=item3d0a231028:g:sHYAAOSwt6ZWWBYv&vxp=mtr

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts

Very nice! Do you have KAR120C custom license plates ala "The Prisoner"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Boxster986S: Alas no. But of course, every Seven owner is well aware of the TV show. I have a vintage car now, but one upon a time owned a Caterham Superlight in roughly r400 spec. That car was bananas.

Sort of bummed to find out that the Revozport paddles use tape! That's a pretty sad method of attachment for a $400+ product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts