Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking to possibly purchase our first MB. We saw a really nice 2021 at our local dealer, but I am reading mixed reviews online in other forums about the GLA line in general.
Has anyone else here picked up a 2021? Any issues?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
Welcome to this GLA-dedicated, very civilized and helpful forum.

Regarding "mixed reviews", forums tend to attract folks with issues. Not many bother posting "my GLA is fine." But I will, ....

We have a pair of 2018 GLA250's in our family and they are very capable and highway/biway drivable year 'round. I regularly load up small project lumber and grandchild car seats.

We cross shopped the Q3 (have had Audi's for a decade) but liked the styling of the GLA better. Note that the 2020/21 is more of an SUV than prior years CUV so in that respect it compares even more so to the Q3.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger my prior Audi allroad (A4/A5 derivative) was the most comfortable long distance driver I've ever owned. And its 8" road clearance was almost that of a CUV. 'course you have to appreciate the "station wagon" aesthetic. The Q5 is bigger still.

At differing times I almost bought the comparable X3 and X1 but ended up staying Audi. Until the GLA that is. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to this GLA-dedicated, very civilized and helpful forum.

Regarding "mixed reviews", forums tend to attract folks with issues. Not many bother posting "my GLA is fine." But I will, ....

We have a pair of 2018 GLA250's in our family and they are very capable and highway/biway drivable year 'round. I regularly load up small project lumber and grandchild car seats.

We cross shopped the Q3 (have had Audi's for a decade) but liked the styling of the GLA better. Note that the 2020/21 is more of an SUV than prior years CUV so in that respect it compares even more so to the Q3.

If you're looking for something a bit bigger my prior Audi allroad (A4/A5 derivative) was the most comfortable long distance driver I've ever owned. And its 8" road clearance was almost that of a CUV. 'course you have to appreciate the "station wagon" aesthetic. The Q5 is bigger still.

At differing times I almost bought the comparable X3 and X1 but ended up staying Audi. Until the GLA that is. ;)

Thanks for the reply! Yup I agree that it is natural to read more about the complaints on a forum, it just surprised me how many were on some forums, with some mercedes fans literally saying to stay away from the GLA.
We are looking at the GLA, possibly GLC, then as well at the Q3/5, and possibly the X1 or a demo X4.

Cheers

·
658 Posts
GLA, I am on my second GLA. Started in 2016 with a 3-year lease. The only problem was the first year the Stop/Go was a problem and required a battery replacement and they did a firmware update and no more problems after that. Was so happy with 2016 and when the lease expired went for a 2019 GLA. at 18 months no problem what so ever. Today my thinking will be another GLA in 2022. When taking it in for service the dealer has given us a GLB and a GLC to use while my car was being serviced. Like the size and style of the GLA over both of these.

Reactions: Razzman

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
Another data point ... 2017 GLA45 with European Delivery. One of the first of that model year. 28K miles. No problems.

Pam wanted something smaller than her Lexus SUV with better MPGs but still sporty. The GLA was about the only option (other than a Macan Turbo at almost twice the price). We've been very happy.

No problems. I DIY and have done all the maintenance so it has been cheap to own. The only time it's been back to the dealer was for a clock spring recall that affected many manufacturers.

My advice is take your suit cases to test drive the car. Space is less than you might expect. It's great for empty nesters. Maybe not as great for families.

Options are personal but the blind spot assist and back up camera are essential IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, looking to possibly purchase our first MB. We saw a really nice 2021 at our local dealer, but I am reading mixed reviews online in other forums about the GLA line in general.

Thanks!
Hello from the UK..I picked up a new GLA200 in September, (1.3ltr engine 2WD, as opposed to the 2ltr in the 250, but with the mileage we do here its all we need).

This is my second MB, the first being a 2019 A200. Both were the AMG line premium specification (not sure if that translates to the same version overseas) in Cosmos black, so more or less the same car but the GLA being a little taller/wider.

I had no issues with the A200, but when I saw the new GLA I thought it looked great, and with us being in our 60's, it had a better driving position being a little higher. Both cars were well put together and have a quality feel when you are inside.

The AMG line premium is a good specification, the only things missing from the premium plus is the pan sunroof, multibeam lights and the electrically adjustable front seats, ( I'm the only driver so doesn't need adjusting once set).

I also looked at the Audi Q3 for a balance, but felt the interior didn't compare to the Mercedes, and the MBUX system is one of the best out there at the moment (you really need the 2 x 10.25 inch screens as opposed to the 7 inch).

From my point of view, the only downside to the MB is the price, compared to other manufacturers, with the GLA being quite expensive. But I have no regrets, I really like the car and its a pleasure to drive.

I think the reviews on the new GLA, (compared to the older version), are pretty good/fair and I think it just comes down to personal choice, but I'm a fan.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up a '21 GLA 250 with AMG package about three weeks ago in Digital White with the Night package. This is my fourth MB, and second GLA. My previous GLA was a 2017, and I have to say the '21 is a significant improvement in every way over the old model. Ride quality, even on 19 inch wheels, is phenomenal. Quietness is improved as well. Love the MBUX and also the adaptive LED lighting.

Unfortunately last week I took a stone to the windshield, and the divot has progressed to at least 4- 6"+ cracks. I'll be bringing it to the shop tomorrow for a replacement.

Reactions: Razzman

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!

Thanks!
[/QUOTE

Thanks!
Hi. We just picked up a 2021 GLA in early October. Very happy with the ride, performance and overall quality. Much better than the 2 CLA’s we bought previously. The 8 speed dual clutch trans with the improved turbo is much more responsive. Quiet cabin is well insulated from road noise and the new Mbux is very nice. No complaints from me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts