Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I took the plunge yesterday, and I am an official Mercedes Lady. I am coming from a Honda but the deal was too good to resist. Question, while I was driving my shifts continuously go from d1 to d2,3,4,5. What is going on? I am so new to this type a car. Please forgive my lack of knowledge if this isn't a great question.:0-)

·
Registered
816 Posts
First, welcome to the forum! Please post some pics and details of your GLA.

The GLA has a 7 speed dual clutch transmission and can be run in automatic mode (will shift as you described) and in manual mode you manually shift using the shift paddles. I would recommend that you read over the car manual with a keen eye so you can learn about all the features that come with the GLA. And of course you can post here on the forum with any questions.

Reactions: homedad

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Everyone. I took the plunge yesterday, and I am an official Mercedes Lady. I am coming from a Honda but the deal was too good to resist. Question, while I was driving my shifts continuously go from d1 to d2,3,4,5. What is going on? I am so new to this type a car. Please forgive my lack of knowledge if this isn't a great question.:0-)
That behavior is normal when in full automatic mode (at least on US 2016 GLA 250 models it is).
It's just showing what gear the car is currently in.
Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Same on 2015. In automatic mode it runs continuously but not always smoothly between gears, and displays which gear it's in.

·
Super Moderator
649 Posts
Welcome!
The "computer controlled manual transmission" as others have cited has dual clutches and anticipates your next need by setting up the standby clutch. Think of it as a bit like a 10-speed bike with dual sprockets and an assortment of gears. The computer generally does a good job of prediction but we humans can do some things it can't foresee, such as a sudden hard acceleration from a rolling stop and in these cases it can get confused and take a few seconds to literally sort things out mechanically. Switching to manual mode with the steering wheel flappy paddles is a way around this, just know that the computer will still self-protect the engine/transmission at the limits. When in manual mode I tend to use the tachometer a lot more.
btw: the owner's manual well describes the in-gear annunciation. Please do take the time to read same. Of course there are some things not well described. Here is an interesting YouTube of unusual features, among many others.
And one of many MB tutorials:
Note that some manufacturers have gone back to a more traditional automatic transmission due to customer complaints of dual clutch jerkiness. There are pro's and con's to all automotive designs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts