Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We ordered a GLA 250 on my birthday and, 2 months later on Dec. 1, picked it up. I've had it for about a month. I spend hours just staring at it. I love the lines. What a beautiful ride.

There are, of course, some things that I find less than perfect. For example: I selected a white one. I wish it was whiter. When the car is parked near snow, the car looks almost downright greenish.

I don't like the initial lag when you take off from a stop. I have it on Comfort mode and I always turn off the automatic engine shut down feature, but there is still a lag. It's quite jarring. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the car. Apparently, they all do this. I'm wondering if manual mode will get rid of this lag.

Many times I'm in 7th gear, and I wish I could downshift to a lower one. I'm barely tacking 1000 and it's in 7th! Can this be reprogrammed?

I hear random double-beeps sometimes and I have no idea what my car is trying to tell me. Heard it today. There were no other cars around. There were no stationary obstacles around, either. Is the car just saying Hello to me?

I do love my GLA. It just has some quirks I'm going to have to get used to.
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The random double-beeps would get me, too. I'd look for messages or indications on the dash, hoping for a clue, but nothing. Then I realized that often times those double-beeps are notifications of incoming texts, etc. from my phone that's paired up with the audio system. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but I am adjusting to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh! I didn't even think that it could be incoming texts. Thank you so much. I'll bet that's it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Do you have Blind Spot Assist?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have blind spot assist. But when I've heard the random 2 beeps, there was no one near.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
The beeps come from the collision warning system. Another GLA quirk. If you look quick enough to the left of the instrument panel you will see the red collision warning light flash on inside the analog speedometer.

On your transmission comments, you could try changing to either Sport or Manual mode. I find less jerk on starting out in Sport mode. It will also not shift into 7 as quickly, but Sport will decrease your MPG. Even in Economy mode, you can still use the left paddle behind the steering wheel to shift down a gear or two.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Can someone explain why it jerks in the first place????
A common characteristic of DCT… I drove my friends Ferrari 458 and its DCT had a bit of a stutter on slow accel. Once moving one sweet tranny.

Reactions: marwag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Double Beeps

Hmmm, I think I know you! I have the same irritating double beeps from time to time, accompanied by a red light that flashes to the right of the spedometer in sync with the beeps. Same thing with me, no threatening traffic, quick lane changes, or unsafe road conditions. It happened when my husband drove, too. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome, Susan! I'm so glad you're here!

I haven't noticed a red light flashing when I hear the beeps, but I'll try to look next time I hear them. I heard the double beep today, and I was at a complete stop, parked, but hadn't turned the engine off yet. I'm thinking it's probably what texaszag said about incoming texts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks, SSBGLA45. After reading your reply, I looked up a thorough explanation of DCT and I feel better knowing that it's ok and not a problem.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Do you guys/gals have front plates mounted off center? some times having your license in thew way of the sensor could trigger the collision warning.

Diving a DCT, you have to expect the car to act like a manual transmission, if you've driven manual before, there's a lag between the engine revving and clutch engaging. That transition is the hesitation that exist in the DCT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts