Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Mercedes GLA was introduced less than two years ago but new details are already starting to emerge about the next-generation model.According to Autobild, the redesigned crossover will arrive in 2019 and be significantly larger than its predecessor. Nothing is official but the magazine says we can expect more headroom and legroom which is badly needed.
Little else is known about the second-generation GLA but it will ride on the MFA 2 platform and will reportedly feature an improved nine-speed dual-clutch transmission. There are also rumors about plug-in hybrid variants and a new GLA Coupe which would follow in the footsteps of the GLC Coupe and GLE Coupe."

2019 Mercedes GLA to be larger, could spawn a coupe variant

·
Registered
243 Posts
A GLA coupe? Sounds like any head and leg room that was gained from getting larger will be lost with the sloped roof.

Getting larger doesn't surprise me though. Most models get bigger over time.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Doesn't surprise me either. Since GLK is getting bigger as it transitions to GLC, they don't want too large of a gap between model offerings.

·
Registered
197 Posts
More than just getting bigger usually they seem to slot a new model underneath the old "smallest" model. I didn't think of it myself but elsewhere someone was wondering if they were considering bringing in the then updated A to slot underneath. It is a bit shorter/lower than the current GLA...

·
Registered
243 Posts
The next generation model may not necessarily be a GLA coupe and I assume that most people who do get a 2 door coupe wouldn't be ferrying people in the back all that often.
I think they will offer two different body styles. The regular and then the coupe. Obviously people who opt for the coupe don't value that extra space as much, but I just think that it is funny that a "utility" vehicle does not have that much utility any more.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Without seeing the new design, I probably would not be interested if it was more of an SUV/larger vehicle since I like the hatchback design of the GLA. A possible comparison concerning the coupe version would be looking at the Range Rover Evoque four-door versus the coupe. When I was looking at a new ride the Evoque coupe (like the style and yes I understood it was less practical) was in the run but I ultimately chose the GLA 45

·
Registered
470 Posts
As discussed before, the GLA is only advertised as an "SUV" so that Americans would buy it. It really is a hatchback, I haven't sat in the A-Class because we don't have it in the US but I don't think the GLA is that much bigger. They pretty much just raised the A-Class and changed the rear tails.

Personally, it is the hatchback look that really attracted me to the GLA. If I truly wanted a small SUV or CUV, I'd probably would have gone with a Macan.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This car really is a hatchback which means it is more practical than a small car of the same size and less practical than pretty much everything else. I don't honestly see too many people in American buying the GLA straight up on its strength as a tool to get stuff done.

Besides lower the A45 is a little shorter the loss coming at the expense of 40 mm in the hatch while the passenger space remains the same. Reading the reviews for the A class as a whole there is a clear bias by the journalist across the pond toward the GLA as being the best of the lot. Less jiggly and easier to live with than the A/CLA seeming to be the common summation. As I'm a US citizen I've not tried the A45 but I drove the CLA and GLA45s and for me there was no contest as to the GLA being the better car between the two. Every bit as fun but way more user friendly. The fun part doesn't surprise me since I never believed the published acceleration estimates anyways, the slight weight gain could not produce the gap between the "estimates" and there are no other differences that would affect acceleration. Those reviewers that actually tested the car produced nearly the same numbers as the CLA which means those thoughts are backed up by the real numbers. The reason for MB choosing to publish lower estimates for the GLA is clearly product placement.

Where I'm going here is that whatever they do they have a plan in regards to where the car fits in the lineup and that plan can be imagined along with the possible car. My guesses go like this... I don't think they move the GLA up in size without placing something underneath. It isn't hard to picture an A variant slotting in under a larger GLA. With all the boxy above the GLA and one box below it it isn't hard to then imagine it as a smaller version of the GLE which would move it away from the more upright offerings directly above and below it. A coupe would certainly fit into that scenario.

All that is probably just wishful thinking. I didn't like the GLE in pictures but found it fetching when I saw it in the dino movie. The idea of a smaller coupe version of that makes my wallet want to flop open of its own accord. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was fortunate enough to see a GLE in person and surprisingly in person its FAR better, pictures don't do it justice and what helped even more was seeing it next to a very common vehicle, a Jetta!

·
Registered
880 Posts
This car really is a hatchback which means it is more practical than a small car of the same size and less practical than pretty much everything else. I don't honestly see too many people in American buying the GLA straight up on its strength as a tool to get stuff done.

Besides lower the A45 is a little shorter the loss coming at the expense of 40 mm in the hatch while the passenger space remains the same. Reading the reviews for the A class as a whole there is a clear bias by the journalist across the pond toward the GLA as being the best of the lot. Less jiggly and easier to live with than the A/CLA seeming to be the common summation. As I'm a US citizen I've not tried the A45 but I drove the CLA and GLA45s and for me there was no contest as to the GLA being the better car between the two. Every bit as fun but way more user friendly. The fun part doesn't surprise me since I never believed the published acceleration estimates anyways, the slight weight gain could not produce the gap between the "estimates" and there are no other differences that would affect acceleration. Those reviewers that actually tested the car produced nearly the same numbers as the CLA which means those thoughts are backed up by the real numbers. The reason for MB choosing to publish lower estimates for the GLA is clearly product placement.

Where I'm going here is that whatever they do they have a plan in regards to where the car fits in the lineup and that plan can be imagined along with the possible car. My guesses go like this... I don't think they move the GLA up in size without placing something underneath. It isn't hard to picture an A variant slotting in under a larger GLA. With all the boxy above the GLA and one box below it it isn't hard to then imagine it as a smaller version of the GLE which would move it away from the more upright offerings directly above and below it. A coupe would certainly fit into that scenario.

All that is probably just wishful thinking. I didn't like the GLE in pictures but found it fetching when I saw it in the dino movie. The idea of a smaller coupe version of that makes my wallet want to flop open of its own accord. :)

this is true, mercedes is trying to push GLA as a tool rather than a sports car. 2016 CLA get the orange art treatment but not even an option for the GLA but not sports car.

in regards to A and GLA can you tell me which is which in the pic?

·
Registered
197 Posts
It would hard to tell the one from the other except the cladding is a dead giveaway since the GLA has it but the A does not, when you look at the two on the left with that in mind it becomes obvious. Once you have sorted out that difference you can then note that the GLA has slightly bigger hips but this isn't something I think I would notice if the one was not next to the other. It is also a small but visible bit taller even in AMG guise which you can also see in the picture.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Since I own the GLA45, it is somewhat easy for me to tell even without the cladding or the roof rack protrusion and despite the small pic.

I am sure it would be more difficult for someone who isn't familiar with the car especially in that angle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.