Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took possess of our GLA yesterday. Does anyone have a concern about sluggish starts? My wife thinks it's a safety hazard. Thank you for anyone's help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a GLA45, so I would say that the car is certainly not sluggish! However, the DCT transmission is sometimes less than smooth from a standing start and it takes time and practice to achieve a smooth(er) start. Other threads in this forum discuss this at length, including suggestions for smoother starts. Turning off the stop-start function helps, and switching the transmission to sport mode definitely helps. Unfortunately, there's no way to deactivate the stop-start mode from being the default upon starting the car. So it's timely you should ask the question because last Sunday, I left the stop-start function on and I was in "C" mode when I was waiting in the left turn pocket with an older Japanese compact pickup truck in front of me. As the light turned yellow, the truck proceeded to make the left turn, and I followed suit. The truck must have been a stick shift because the driver stalled making the shift from first to second gear. I had to stop to avoid hitting him, but he restarted his engine and pulled away and I jabbed the accelerator to move quickly through the intersection as the light had already changed, and...nothing happened! It took what seemed like an eternity for my GLA to start up and then it bolted forward most abruptly. The onboard computer can definitely be fooled and not be able to make up its mind in a timely manner when stop-start is active.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
If this is a new car do you think 'kicking' it in is impacted by break-in protocol. My gla250 has lots of get up and go but have never punched it from a lite as it just turned 300 klicks

·
Registered
694 Posts
If this is a new car do you think 'kicking' it in is impacted by break-in protocol. My gla250 has lots of get up and go but have never punched it from a lite as it just turned 300 klicks
I've always heard and believed that for 1/4 of the time you should kick it, just can't be doing top speed runs with it.

The reason for pushing it harder at times is apparently to help build pressure to better seat the piston rings during that vital time frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This bugged me too at first. But the slow start in Eco mode has everything to do w fuel efficiency. When I need to punch it, I switch it to Sport mode. The pickup in Sport is ridiculous.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a GLA45, so I would say that the car is certainly not sluggish! However, the DCT transmission is sometimes less than smooth from a standing start and it takes time and practice to achieve a smooth(er) start. Other threads in this forum discuss this at length, including suggestions for smoother starts. Turning off the stop-start function helps, and switching the transmission to sport mode definitely helps. Unfortunately, there's no way to deactivate the stop-start mode from being the default upon starting the car. So it's timely you should ask the question because last Sunday, I left the stop-start function on and I was in "C" mode when I was waiting in the left turn pocket with an older Japanese compact pickup truck in front of me. As the light turned yellow, the truck proceeded to make the left turn, and I followed suit. The truck must have been a stick shift because the driver stalled making the shift from first to second gear. I had to stop to avoid hitting him, but he restarted his engine and pulled away and I jabbed the accelerator to move quickly through the intersection as the light had already changed, and...nothing happened! It took what seemed like an eternity for my GLA to start up and then it bolted forward most abruptly. The onboard computer can definitely be fooled and not be able to make up its mind in a timely manner when stop-start is active.
dont remember if the start/stop was on when i test drove the car last time but i do agree with the hesitation. Its most noticeable when you have a to make a U turn and all of a sudden the power is not there.

HOWEVER, after that experience i learned that if you treat the gas like you would with a manual transmission (pressing the gas but waiting for clutch to engage) its actually pretty normal

·
Registered
694 Posts
HOWEVER, after that experience i learned that if you treat the gas like you would with a manual transmission (pressing the gas but waiting for clutch to engage) its actually pretty normal
That seems to be the norm and what a number of owners have been reporting back, not just with the GLA but other vehicles as well.

It's expected.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
When I first got my GLA, I would wholeheartedly agree that take off in 1st was jerky, especially in ECO mode. I really don't notice it now. Pulled out of a parking lot this morning from a standing stop, making a left turn across four lanes of traffic, in ECO mode with engine switched off with no problem. I figure one of two things happened since my car was new:

1. I drive 90% of the time with ECO on and have gotten used to the launch characteristic from a stop regardless of whether the engine switched off or not.
2. The DCT transmission has broken in or changed in some way. I was an early adopter of the GLA taking delivery early last October and no have 10K miles on it.

Anyone else noticing that standing stop at least seems smoother the longer you own your GLA?

·
Registered
19 Posts
We took possess of our GLA yesterday. Does anyone have a concern about sluggish starts? My wife thinks it's a safety hazard. Thank you for anyone's help.
Yes. It is. It was a huge complaint of mine. This was, not fixed, but improved by a factory software upgrade. Take it back to the dealership and ask if you have the latest software.

Turns out the MB bakes in a throttle response delay -- I confirmed this. They want a "luxurious" (read as: mushy) feel.

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd say my driving habit has adjusted to the start/stop of the comfort mode. I can tell I tend to take my foot off the brake pedal just enough and long enough to get the engine to start back up before I expect to move the car.

If I'm in start/stop traffic, I turn off the eco mode so the car keeps running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts