Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
This week took delivery of my GLA250W4 ordered from Germany. I think it was one of the last 2016s made. My wife and I like to kayak and bicycle so thought you might be interested in my first additions - new racks. For the kayaks I mounted a Thule roof rack. The cross bars are 47" (as suggested by Thule) but had tried to put on 53" bars but the rear bar would just not fit on the rear part of the roof rails. The roof rails are 4" closer together at back than at the front. I like the Thule rack over the factory rack due to the extra width so that you don't have to reach so far when lifting the kayaks. The rear mounted bike rack is made by Hollywood. The advantage of this rack is that it does not touch the spoiler (which is plastic, not too sturdy). I have to clean up the straps a little. When I get the bikes and kayaks mounted I'll send another photo. The car is terrific inside and out. I take the racks off when not in use - don't want to spoil those great lines. It is the Swiss army knife of cars, it does everything!

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Love to see that photo. I assume you have to have the Thule roof rack to attach the Hollywood rack? Or can you just buy a cross bar for the roof? Are you worried about damage to the rear liftgate?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you need either raised roof rails or if you have flush roof rails (like the GLA) then you need a cross bar (not necessarily Thule), something to wrap the top straps around. This is the only rear mounted bike rack that is warranted to work with cars that have a spoiler over the rear window, its called the "over the top" model by Hollywood. I decided to go with this set-up for a couple of reasons. If I used the roof mounted bike rails (attached to the roof rack) I would have to change over the bike rails to attach the Kayak cradles and vice versa. The roof rack will not take both the bike rails (2 of them) and the kayak cradles (2 of them), it is one or the other. Also if I ever want to take the bikes and the kayaks at the same time, now I can.

Reactions: Fbsdmd

·
Registered
608 Posts
I will visit one of the Hollywood dealers that I found on line; perfect for a pair of bikes, and not immensely expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts