#1 ·
TSW Nurburgring
20x8.5 +43
245x40 tires
(black MB center caps on order)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!

Yup blacking it all out is still part of the plan, I'm just too lazy to mask things off and plasti-dip so I might just get it vynil wrapped instead.

Right now I am good with it though, it sorts of pops especially now that it had darker rims. I kind of dig it.

#13 ·
Thanks!

Yup blacking it all out is still part of the plan, I'm just too lazy to mask things off and plasti-dip so I might just get it vynil wrapped instead.

Right now I am good with it though, it sorts of pops especially now that it had darker rims. I kind of dig it.
Just to compare what it might look like blacked out, mine came with the night styling package. I think the black wheels would be a good move for me in the future:

Attachments

#5 ·
Looks absolutely mean and the offsets, like you mentioned, seem to be spot on. :)

What kind of weight savings did you achieve after changing your rims?

#6 ·
Thanks for the compliments. A bit biased but yah I think 20s are just about perfect.

As for weight saving, I am not sure. I just weighed the stock 19s with the tire and it is 52.8 lbs, the new 20" wheels weigh 22.4 lbs and the tires it is mounted on are ~30lbs each (52.4lbs wheel & tire).

I guess I saved about 1.6 lbs overall which isn't bad considering I went up in size, I guess. Anybody have any source to find how much each factory MB wheels weigh? I am curious how much my new wheels weighed in comparison to the optional MB 20s.

#7 ·
Interesting with the 245 tyres. Can you post a photo from the back side to see how the wider tyres look like?

#8 · (Edited)
Here's quick pics of the old and of the new, I lightened the pics as much as I can so hopefully it's visible. I actually wanted to go 245/45/20 but it wasn't available and even considered 255/40/20 but I think it would have been too wide and didn't want the side wall to protrude too much.

Stock 235/45/19

New 245/40/20

#23 ·
Here's quick pics of the old and of the new, I lightened the pics as much as I can so hopefully it's visible. I actually wanted to go 245/45/20 but it wasn't available and even considered 255/40/20 but I think it would have been too wide and didn't want the side wall to protrude too much.
I have 255/40R20 Pirelli Winter Sottozero tires on my GLA45 and they work perfectly. They do not protrude too much at all. The dealer put them on and said they would't go to 265's but 255's are all within the ranges.

If anyone wants I can upload a picture. I went with 255/40R20 because I got an amazing deal on them in that size.

I am not usually one to post in forums, but I was scouring the internet for advice on this before I just decided to go for it, so now I'm hoping this helps someone else out :)

#10 ·
I might in the future if I decided to get some springs or coilovers, I feel that if it's going to be flush that it has to have no wheel gap (or at least make it as minimal as possible). I don't really want to go too extreme, the outer extends to 6mm with this set-up and someone reported that they put 20mm spacers and that they rub on hard corners and I don't really want to deal with that (even though I do not plan to track the car in the near future) but there are some room there.

I might wait it out and see someone else do it and to what extent they can go without going through any problems. I think the same person who had 20mm spacers are getting some KW coilovers so I might just lurk and see how that goes before pulling any triggers.

#11 ·
Thanx nightscar! 245/40 20 is just 1% larger in diameter than the OEM 235/40 20 and they will definitely be my next choice when my Contis will need replacement. The fact that the Michelin PSS exists in this dimension makes the change more likeable :) Would not suggest 245/45 20 though, much larger diameter than the OEM.

Reactions: rayman
#12 ·
Ebay center caps (in black) came in as well, quality isn't the best but it'll do for now.

#14 ·
Very nice, night style package is great. Now you just got to tint them windows. :D

#17 ·
Up close and in your hand, you can tell it is cheap but it isn't noticeable from a few feet away unless you literally stare at it for a minute or two. It's just the point of the star, you can kind of tell it isn't flush up close.

I ordered some black lug bolts and once that comes in, I'll probably remove them (I can only remove them with the wheel off because the caps fit snug in the aftermarket wheels, caps are a mm or two too big) and switch up to one of these:

#19 ·
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I got my GLA45 at the end of May. I wanted to ask if anyone has tried to fit a 255 wide tire on the car. I had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my '06 BMW E46 M3 and loved them. I upsized from 225/255 OEM tires to 245/275s. It made a big difference in traction and handling. I've put this car into some hard corners and had it slide out on me. Which was surprising, since the skid-pad on this car is higher than my M3 and the reviews I've read have been so good on this car. The tires are supposed to be very good too, but overall the handling felt better on the M3. Now, I'm not trying to start a German car war here. I just want to get the best/widest tires as I can, on this car. For comparable sizes, a 255/50R19 is 1% smaller, and a 255/35R20 is 1.2% smaller. (I plan to get either 19" or 20" wheels for these summer tires, and when the contis wear out, put Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds 235/45R19s on the OEM wheels.) But will that tire width fit and not rub? From the guy who put 20mm spacers on, that pushes the tire to the outer fender. But will increasing the tire width by 10mm on each side of the tire cause any clearance issues? If not, it sounds like a 245/40R20 is an option in that tire, if the 255 doesn't fit.

#24 ·
Nice!

#28 ·
Hello Sam and welcome to the GLA forum. This is a somewhat older thread, and it's not clear who you are asking that question. Whoever it is, you might want to send them a private message (click on the screen name and follow the links/prompts). Also, please tell us more about your GLA and where you are, or add it to your profile, will assist in further discussion.

#29 ·
Nights....

Wheels are very nice. What brand of tire did you go with?
Saw car like yours last week in toronto where the person used red wrap on the lower body, around windows and the front. Have to say it was different and much "cooler" than I had thought. Also had the red rimed wheels that came with some of the 1st edition cars. This treatment is very popular in the Eindhoven, Holland region for dark (Mtn Grey and black) cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.