Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue (regardless of GLA model).

So new 2021 GLA45s (done only ~700kms), was breaking in the engine so taking it easy.

Rolled up to a red light and stopped, and the Engine Stop/Start kicked in and the engine shut off. When the lights turned green, I lifted my foot off the brake (engine starts) and started to step down on the gas, however as soon as I did, the whole car jerked and the engine stalled. If anyone's driven manual, it's a bit like dumping the clutch too quickly and stalling the engine... Had to restart the engine to get it moving again, was a bit stressful given was in traffic etc.

It's only happened once but now I'm paranoid it will happen again... My only theory is that maybe I hit the gas too soon after the Stop/Start turned the engine back on (I don't think I did though...), and even if I did, I would of thought the MB Engineers would have safe guards in place to prevent something like this from happening? Either that or the DCT on this car has issues....?

Has something similar happened with anyone else with Engine Stop/Start or their DCT transmission? I think all GLA models have DCT (7 or 8 gears depending on model).

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out my thread from two months ago, titled "CYL 2 Fault. Not quite the same (I had auto start/stop off, I was in sport mode). My car started the severe 'bucking' when moving off from a stop before the engine started missing. Dealer couldn't diagnose the problem. Hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys.

@gbarringer, car was in Comfort and automatic (ie not manual shifting with the paddles).

@Hokie, yeah, it does sounds similar, good to hear you haven't had any issues since. I only use the best fuel (98 RON here in 'Strayer), it wasn't a hot day so not sure about temp for me (although since, I've noticed that in the tyre pressure screen, it also shows the temp of the clutch, so keeping an eye on that now), and I didn't need to limp to the nearest dealer, once I restarted the engine, the car performed normally. Pretty sure the dash lit up like a Christmas tree when it happened, but because I was in traffic I didn't sit there analysing all the lights and was just trying to get going again. Fingers crossed it was just some bizarre breaking in problem of the Engine/DCT/Stop Start etc and it's gone away for good.

·
Super Moderator
908 Posts
With the electronics, sensors, and computers in cars today, there is a hiccup sometimes. My indy will not do anything if you get a CEL other than resetting it and wait and see if it happens again. But, he wanted to make sure it was not just a hiccup before replacing parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@ciphrix, I now think if I had shut it off once it started missing, it may have reset and been fine. I just didn't dare at the time, and being so close to a dealer we just limped in. The 'jerking' was exactly as you describe, as if I was pushing in the clutch on a manual transmission and then dumping the clutch. I still think the extreme heat may have contributed, but I can't replicate that until next summer, which with global warming, should be even hotter.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@gbarringer Thanks, let's hope it was just a hiccup and it's gone away. Luckily since then I haven't had any issues, but I've been extra conservative with the use of the Stop/Start (ie mannually triggering it on once I've stopped and turning it back on a good 3-5 seconds before I actually need to hit the gas). Of course I still assume it's the Stop/Start, could very well be the DCT or some other issue and what I am doing does nothing...

@Hokie, don't worry mate, I'm in Australia and we are just getting into our summer, and we can get consistently very hot days 35c (95f) to 45c (113f), so if it is heat, I'm pretty sure I'm toast in the next month or two.

If anything happens again or I work it what it is, I'll update this thread, but fingers crossed was just some teething issues with a new car...

·
Super Moderator
908 Posts
Yes, please do come back in the future with the answer to this. But, unfortunately, too many times, people do not come back after asking for help. Therefore we do not know what the fix was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any error message on dashboard?
No error messages (at least from what I saw), some of the warning lights lit up which you expect given the car is not expected to stall, however once I restarted the car everything was normal.

I was in traffic so my first priority was to get back moving (once I was over the initial shock of wtf just happened), so I didn't spend a good time checking all the lights etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts