Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread in the audio section and some people wanted pics so here they are. I've been lurking here for a while doing research and we picked up the car on Wednesday. Details: AWD, Northern Lights Violet, Ash MB-tex interior, sport package, premium package, Xenon headlights, blindspot assist, backup camera. The only unique thing about the car is that the wife really liked the 65R rims over the AMG ones that come with the sport package and we were able to have the dealer swap the AMG wheels for the ones off a car they had on the lot. I don't know why MB makes you get the AMG wheels with the sport package, but the 65R ones look much better on the Violet car.

As far as CarPlay you can look at my thread in the audio section, but the hooks appear to be there. The software is not currently there, however. My guess is a software upgrade will be all that is required. Frankly, the infotainment system is the worst part of the car and anything they can do to make it better is a plus.

The car drives much differently than the wife's Forester XT that was replaced. It will take some getting used to. One big noticable thing is how high the hood is compared to the Forester. The boxer motor in the Forester was a much more compact motor and allowed the hood to be much lower and the firewall to be pushed forward more. The other thing that I have really noticed is how low the RPMs are kept. The transmission will actually go all the way into 7th gear at 40 mph. It makes the motor feel like it is lugging, but I guess it improves gas mileage. I drive an STi so I'm used to a completely different driving feel.

Anyways, if there are any questions that other folks already haven't answered I'll try.

David

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Beautiful photos! For gosh sake, don't leave that key fob in the engine compartment!

Appreciated your review, especially of the infotainment system (assume you mean Multimedia Package?). Didn't seem practical for the way we will use the GLA, and our sales rep had cautioned that was probably needed to access Apple CarPlay. So, we might or might not get to use our iPhones in that manner. As you suggest, hopefully a software update.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The car drives much differently than the wife's Forester XT that was replaced. It will take some getting used to. One big noticable thing is how high the hood is compared to the Forester. The boxer motor in the Forester was a much more compact motor and allowed the hood to be much lower and the firewall to be pushed forward more. The other thing that I have really noticed is how low the RPMs are kept. The transmission will actually go all the way into 7th gear at 40 mph. It makes the motor feel like it is lugging, but I guess it improves gas mileage. I drive an STi so I'm used to a completely different driving feel.

Anyways, if there are any questions that other folks already haven't answered I'll try.

David
Using Dynamic Select have you tried sport mode or even better the Individual mode? Both make quite a difference in performance.
In Individual mode you can set the engine/trans mode, steering mode, climate mode and even turn off auto stop/start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sport mode is better. It holds the RPMs longer before shifting, but you still get 7th gear at 45 mph. I don't like the hesitation that happens while the transmission downshifts multiple times if you need to accelerate. Starting off in 2nd gear, which seems to happen a lot, is kind of annoying as well. I haven't played around with manual mode much. It'll just take some time to get used to the quirks of the car. They all have some.

We do not have the multimedia package, but do have the premium package with the upgraded Harmon Kardon system. MB seems to like to use big words for things so I was just using the MB term of infotainment system, aka the stereo. I don't think you'll need the multimedia package for CarPlay.

I was going to post this in one of the technical forums, but since I'm writing this here. Our car has no hood liner. I presume this is normal as I can't believe they just forgot to put one on, but thought I'd check to make sure. Pretty lame to not have one. Yeah, there's the plastic cover over the top of the motor, but I'd like to see something on the hood itself too.

David

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sport mode is better. It holds the RPMs longer before shifting, but you still get 7th gear at 45 mph. I don't like the hesitation that happens while the transmission downshifts multiple times if you need to accelerate. Starting off in 2nd gear, which seems to happen a lot, is kind of annoying as well. I haven't played around with manual mode much. It'll just take some time to get used to the quirks of the car. They all have some.

We do not have the multimedia package, but do have the premium package with the upgraded Harmon Kardon system. MB seems to like to use big words for things so I was just using the MB term of infotainment system, aka the stereo. I don't think you'll need the multimedia package for CarPlay.

I was going to post this in one of the technical forums, but since I'm writing this here. Our car has no hood liner. I presume this is normal as I can't believe they just forgot to put one on, but thought I'd check to make sure. Pretty lame to not have one. Yeah, there's the plastic cover over the top of the motor, but I'd like to see something on the hood itself too.

David
No hood liner on my 2016 GLA 250 either. One of the cost cutting items to get the price as low as possible.
All my previous Mercedes had one one but they cost quite a bit more than the GLA did, too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
US spec GLAs do not come with a hood insulator BUT interestingly the CLA does>>

Wonder if it would fit a GLA? In the hood of the GLA are holes that look like they are for push retainers to hold some sort of insulator mat in place.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Isn't it usually for sound? If that's the only case then maybe they thought it wouldn't be necessary for the GLA.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes, sound is traditionally a primary reason, but with these top-of-engine located turbos might serve another function. Those suckers get hot and I always open up the hood (have a garage) after spirited driving when returning home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts