Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently as of 3 days ago I bought a new GLA45 AMG, changed from a previous BMW X6-M (which I loved very much) and as from the title, already there is an issue with the DRL's in conjunction with the lights and the off mode.

So, assuming everyone is familiar with their lights and how they work, when the key is in and the engine on, all is fine. Yet when the car is switched off and or the key has been taken out, when I turn the lights completely anti-clock wise to the off position, the left (only) front and rear DRL remains on and when switched to the park mode, then the right (only) front and rear DRL remains on.

Basically, when the car has been switched off and the lights are also off, the left Fr & Rr DRL' remain on. For how long I'm not really certain because in Japan, my car is parked in our apartments elevator car park. This means that I am too afraid of leaving it in that state incase it fries the battery so to speak.

When I put the cars lights in Auto mode, then it is fine sometimes, depending on the ambient light.

My aim is to take back to the dealers this W/End yet, honestly speaking I'm not really too keen on starting my first Merc relationship in a negative.

A long time ago I purchased an Alfa Romeo Brera V6 Italian Independent model and loved the design, yet that car was a nightmare. Never wished to repeat that again and I assumed after research that Merc has substantially distanced itself from the poor reputation it had previously that still mars Alfa to this day (Fiat control is to blame there perhaps).

Thanks all for the help and or related issues if you have them.

Love the car but the front and rear door seals are a bit lacking and flimsy as well as the navi being designed by ignorant imbeciles.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't think there is a problem with your lights, that is just how the switches works. There is no off switch, just leave it on auto and you'll be fine, the DRLs will stay on for 60 seconds then turn off.

I believe you could change this on the instrument cluster, make it turn off faster or just deactivate it altogether, just press left or right on the left side of the steering wheel arrows until you hit the SETTINGS menu, scroll down to lighting the press OK button and then play around with it. You can also change the ambient lighting there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Yes it does seem strange that if all the lights are infact turned off, this should also mean that all the lights are...off, not half off and half on!?

I've already gone through all the settings intimately with no success in this, making me feel as though it is an issue or...some function I'm not aware of yet due to a lack of manual.

BMW use pretty well much has the same system - give or take a few minor changes here of there; they are not the same with regards to this apparent issue.

I mean if they do infact auto off after 60 seconds as if it were some "where is my car" function in a dark shed, perhaps I could get this yet from what I gather is seems odd.

My owners manual is in Japanese so, good luck reading that hey he he. Fortunately, in another thread, they have indicated that it is possible to download the English PDFS format to the smart phone, which would be perfect really.

Just a few other things, did you receive your AMG key with yours or just the standard key fob? Mine is the edition-1 AMG with all of the stickers and main iconography debadged so this ought to come with the AMG Key Fob face plate...thingy.

I'll post some pics of the car and some issues I've for with it this far, fairly minor things. This engine is very fruity but could do with a real quad catback and 400hp.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So your only concern is to turn off all the lights after you remove the keys? I am almost certain that is possible with the instrument cluster I mentioned. I actually like the light, it is for safety reason, so that you don't have to walk from your driveway to your door or in a dark parking lot without any lights.

Yeah there is an app for the manual, I have downloaded it and since removed the big book manual from the car. Here is also the official MB website manual: GLA - Interactive Owner's Manual

You could also find the instrument cluster control there to change the lights.

As for the AMG key fob, many here got theirs right away, mine didn't come with one and have been on order for two months now. And yes it should come with the AMG cover and it is suppose to be in a silver tin case either in the glove box or in the back, sometimes by the non-spare tire compartment. Double check on those places.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally it looks as though it is actually as you described. Last night I went through the manual and found alot of info that was helpfull in regards to the lights. Honestly speaking though, I am not partial to how this system is implemented yet that is mainly a personal gripe, which is normal of course. Today I am going to the dealer to pick up the badges that were taken off the car as well request the AMG Key Fob cover, see what happens there plus let them know about the door cards vibrating on the door frames when music is played as well as road vibrations etc etc.

I take a few pics of the car and post them up. Perhaps put them in the suitable thread/ forum area.

Nightscar that aaplication was very useful and exactly what I was after yet, it mainly refers to the standard GLA rather than a specific AMG version yet despite this, it is very useful indeed so my sincere thanks buddy.

Just some basic details of my little beast, as above we bought the GLA 45 AMG Edition 1 version because I am partial to black wheels on a white car, with some minor red accents here and there. All the silly "racer-boy" stickers have been taken off as well as all of the badges except the front and rear logo with the main AMG logo type. Some of the first mods to be done will be an Armytrix exhaust system with a mod so that it is a full Quad exhaust and not a dual exhaust with quad bumper outlets, replacing the cheesy Faux CF dash panel with a real CF dash panel minus the repetitive "Racer-Boy" details and finally, perhaps replacing the plastic door locks with some quality aluminium parts and a full LED kit for the interior.

Have you yet done anything to your car or is stockalicious?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Looks like some modifications are planned for your ride, Atheon! Congrats on a beautiful ride.

Nightscar has some mods done so you will have to wait to see his photos! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts