Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not at all technically savvy, but I finally was able to (sometimes) get Android Auto to work in my 2020 GLA. But it only works if my cell phone is connected via the USB port.

Is there a way to make it work without having to connect the phone every time I get in the car?

And can someone provide step-by-step directions for using Android Auto every time I get in the car? Like, what buttons on the car do I push, what do I do with the cell phone, etc. Because even though I think I do it the same every time, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Basically, NHSTA hates extra human interfaces in cars. They are distractions and reduce operator situational awareness. The historical preference was to remove the phone from the driving experience.

So with both Apple Carplay and Android Auto they opted to require physical connection and bricking of the phone from other uses. So with the factory interface you must plug the phone in.

I found AA to be worthless personally so once I used it a couple of times a shelved it. So take my words with a grain of salt. I think newer systems have been able to go wireless. But that would require a display change or more. Some on this Forum have changed their displays for larger formats and touchscreens. They should be able to offer better answers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you pair your device with your car via bluetooth, you will not need to plug the device into your car's usb port to make calls or listen to media on your device. Once paired, you'll be able to use the media function of your car to play media on your device, or to make phone calls.

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
But that won't get you Waze. Then ... Waze and AA don't get along well ... Crashes are normal and recovery requires a passenger!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Currently, there is probably only one car that comes with factory Wireless Android Auto headunit out of all the brands of cars today. Given time, they will be more but for your existing car, there is no chance. Wireless Android Auto requires different hardware (need WiFi radio). There are plenty of 3rd party headunits that support wirless Android Auto but that's whole another story. I have one installed in my Miata and it works wonders but I still like to use USB cables because it can charge the phone.

There is also a wireless Android Auto dongle floating around promising wireless AA capability to your existing USB Android Auto. Maybe you can hunt one down and let us know if that works.

Then, there are multitude of problems with wireless Android Auto app itself on anything other than Google's own Pixel phones. Samsung phones are notoriously bad for wireless AA.

As for step-by-step instruction, it is simple: just plug in your phone to the specified USB port after you turn on the engine. That's it. Make sure you use a quality USB cable. My 2017 also won't work correctly if I use shorter (< 6ft) cables but later models should be fine. The rest depends on how buggy your phone is (non-Google phones can be rather problematic with Android Auto).

·
Registered
142 Posts
But that won't get you Waze. Then ... Waze and AA don't get along well ... Crashes are normal and recovery requires a passenger!!!
I have zero crash when using Waze app on my Pixels 3 (although my previous phone do crash a lot with Waze). Given the latest negative publicity of Waze app (causing Apple CarPlay multiple issues), I tend to think Waze engineers are way behind with its apps so I rarely use it. But everytime my Google Maps prompt some traffic alerts, I do thank Waze users like you :)

·
Super Moderator
1,662 Posts
Waze has saved me many many many tickets as it pointed out LEOs that my radar missed. With instant on laser Waze becomes even more important although it is not as useful on back roads and is completely useless when out of cell phone coverage (which is a lot of my spirited driving). Nonetheless, I feel committed to it.

I also feel obliged to feed back road conditions since I take advantage of it. And AA takes that away (NHTSA doesn't want distractions, which is understandable). The direct phone interface is simply better for me. That's why I fabricated a mount to place the phone screen in a relatively easy interface position.

Pam prefers news when we're driving so the sat radio supplies entertainment.

I guess I'm looking for people's reasons why AA and Carplay are important in a car. Maybe I'm missing something that I'd like. I'd love to hear from others.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No AA, no sale.

I now have 3 cars in my garage and all have AA. Most rental cars now have AA as well. Looking at the phone screen is distracting. Had two cars with touch screen AA and I think MB made the correct choice early on. Touch screen is definitely the biggest distraction because you have to take your eye off the road in order to see where you touch on the screen. However, the later model year MBs I drove (loaners) now have touch screen as well :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
AA works just fine for me with waze and everything else. I wouldn't even consider buying a car without support for AA. In fact I was so persistent that the car I bought supported AA that my dealer now puts up AA supported as a key primary feature when advertising cars. I admit too by habit, when at stoplights , I like to pick up my phone and fiddle with it. AA has killed that (thankfully!) . I think it's a game changer. Let's leave the car making to the car experts and the media/connectivity/Navi interface to the experts in that field (Google)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts