Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

Navigation without an attached cellphone using Apple CarPlay? [No, but alternatives]

9K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Huey52 
#1 ·
So, I am the type of person who investigates as much as I can about a car before buying one.
My wife mentioned, a couple months ago, that she really wanted a new EV. So, I checked out
several EV's before both of us took a look at any. She decided on a VW ID4 and ordered one.
Early this week, we took an ID4 for a test drive and she liked the car. HOWEVER, for some
reason she wanted to go to the Mercedes dealership, which was right next door. I own two
pretty old Mercedes, a CLS500 and a GL450, 2006 & 2007 so I'm familiar with MBZ. While
walking through the MBZ dealer she liked the GLA 250......enough to commit to buying one.
Today, we picked it up........she's getting used to it. I think it's great personally.

When I was getting familiar with the vehicle, I had to call the salesperson because there
was no navigation at all! I asked the fellow about the car and he said navigation is all done
through the attached cell phone. I was literally shocked that the new SUV has no GPS.

Can I add an SD card with map data for navigation??? If so, if anyone has a link to a
card that will work with her 2023 GLA 250 that would be awesome. My salesperson
does not know if navigation can be added to a GLA if it didn't come with it as an option.
He told me he will have to check early next week and let me know. I assume if they
can add it at the dealer it's going to be a big cost. If I can just plug in an SD card with
map data that would be awesome..........but I have no idea if that will work or not.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Historically there have been two primary USA options, one the full integrated SatNav and the other CarPlay/Android Auto. The latter of course utilizes the smartphone cellular network but is availed of the vehicle's antenna system for better connectivity.

There was also another Garmin SD card option but unsure if it is still offered or was phased out. Search here "Garmin" for more insight until a MY2023 owner can better advise, or ideally your salesperson will finally learn more about their product.
e.g.: Garmin Part no.

ref:
320 Multimedia Package: COMAND system with Navigation
868 Smartphone Integration CarPlay/Android Auto

ps: We also own a VW ID.4 if you revisit same.

#3 ·
check your Mercedes Me Connect purchase options on the vehicle. there may be an option to buy activate it, from which it will be permanently activated in the car, however related features such as map updates, live traffic, etc., will require a subscription. without the full navigation package from the factory though, you won't have other driving assistance things like augmented reality, automatic speed limit, etc

this is the case with my 2022 model, and I don't expect it would've changed much in the '23 one

#5 ·
Nav and new cars, I was in the market early this year. Many new cars will not have navigation, and the trend is using a cell phone that connects to the car's systems. Over the past year or so seen many posts that people are using cell phones for navigation, as they are more updated and have other features that built-in Navigation does not have. We ended up buying a car without factory navigation. After several months have now adjusted to the cell phone way. I use Waze, which has warnings of cars parked on the side of the road, stuff in the traffic lanes, and police in the area. I just completed a 1,600-mile trip and am now convinced cell phone is better.

#6 ·
So, I am the type of person who investigates as much as I can about a car before buying one.
My wife mentioned, a couple months ago, that she really wanted a new EV. So, I checked out
several EV's before both of us took a look at any. She decided on a VW ID4 and ordered one.
Early this week, we took an ID4 for a test drive and she liked the car. HOWEVER, for some
reason she wanted to go to the Mercedes dealership, which was right next door. I own two
pretty old Mercedes, a CLS500 and a GL450, 2006 & 2007 so I'm familiar with MBZ. While
walking through the MBZ dealer she liked the GLA 250......enough to commit to buying one.
Today, we picked it up........she's getting used to it. I think it's great personally.

When I was getting familiar with the vehicle, I had to call the salesperson because there
was no navigation at all! I asked the fellow about the car and he said navigation is all done
through the attached cell phone. I was literally shocked that the new SUV has no GPS.

Can I add an SD card with map data for navigation??? If so, if anyone has a link to a
does not know if navigation can be added to a GLA if it didn't come with it as an option.
He told me he will have to check early next week and let me know. I assume if they
can add it at the dealer it's going to be a big cost. If I can just plug in an SD card with
map data that would be awesome..........but I have no idea if that will work or not.

Welcome. glad you're enjoying the GLA, it must be a big difference from your other Mercedes'. As for navigation, I know it's possible to add it because it's an optional add-on package here in Canada ($400 I believe). I also know it should be possible to just code it in because the car has built-in GPS antennas for the Mercedes Me services and accident reporting. The process of adding it will likely be substantially different from older models though. Previously, navigation could be added by the dealer by purchasing the memory card. Nowadays, they've phased out memory cards, CD players and conventional USB ports. Navigation will likely have to be activated by a programming service. Raj at rjautomotive.net may be able to remotely add built-in GPS over the air. contact him to find out. Now would be the best time to add any other features you want.

Nav and new cars, I was in the market early this year. Many new cars will not have navigation, and the trend is using a cell phone that connects to the car's systems. Over the past year or so seen many posts that people are using cell phones for navigation, as they are more updated and have other features that built-in Navigation does not have. We ended up buying a car without factory navigation. After several months have now adjusted to the cell phone way. I use Waze, which has warnings of cars parked on the side of the road, stuff in the traffic lanes, and police in the area. I just completed a 1,600-mile trip and am now convinced cell phone is better.
I agree that mobile navigation can be nice and it's great when it automatically predicts destinations based on my calendar or routines. Unfortunately Mercedes doesn't have wireless CarPlay yet so unless I'm using my CarPlay receiver it can be a nuisance to set up, especially since I can use MMC app to send my nav data to the car directly. Also, nav on CarPlay (when wireless) uses my battery and my mobile data, which is why I prefer to use built in navigation which also goes on HUD, gauge cluster etc.

#7 ·
I'll circle back and actually answer your title question - No, it's not possible to use Apple CarPlay without an iPhone for Navigation or anything else. Same for Android Auto. But then that's relatively obvious. ;)

Apple CarPlay essentially mimics your iPhone's App icons on the multimedia screen but relies on the phone itself for the data it displays. Again however the GLA's antenna system is used to increase smartphone reception range.

There are certainly some advantages to cellular Nav, not the least of which being more frequent database updates, but I like also having SatNav as it's capable enough for me most of the time and I don't have to go thru the additional CarPlay interface. Plus the SatNav operates where there is weak/no cellular service. It's good to have many telecomm options.

#8 ·
I think the radio with Navigation built-in has a hard drive or other storage that has the data for the navigation. If navigation is not built in, there is no hard drive or storage system to hold the data for navigation. If this is the case, there would be no way to add navigation to a non-navigation radio.

#9 ·
Perhaps, but I doubt that's the case for these new models. they already have a GPS system built in for MMC features and emergency services reporting. It is probably just a matter of activating the menu in the display and adding the map data. Many "optional features" in the latest MBUX Mercedes are not limited by hardware, but rather software. Ex. car wash mode, amg menus, even distronic are already existing and require little to no hardware changes (except cruise control switches) to be activated.

#10 ·
Thank each of you for your helpful responses. I received an email from our MBZ sales person. We can add navigation but it costs $550 to have it implemented. I found out that MBZ removed the SD card slot from 2023 MBZ's so any updates to navigation has to be done via download only. This is the link where this can be ordered. I was able to synch my iPhone with CarPlay last night and it works well. I did also download WAZE to my phone and my wife's phone, very nice interface. So, now after learning that I'll have to pay $550 for the MBZ provided navigation, we just might stay with WAZE.

Mercedes me connect USA

#13 ·
I was returning from Florida to South Carolina the other week on 95. Waze said the take the next exit. I thought it was an error and stayed on 95. About a mile later, the traffic came to a stop. Waze then accounted that I was in for a 40-minute wait. I then looked at Waze and zoomed out. Waze was giving me a detour around the delay. Guess next time; I will listen and follow directions.

• Haha
Reactions: RamaGLA and Huey52
#15 ·

I posted it here. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.