Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know what the differences are between a factory fitted navigation and the pre fitted navigation system where you need to buy the SD card?

Cheers,
Jan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jan, I think it depends on what year you have. The 2015 GLA for the USA has the Becker Map Pilot, which also has a provision for an SD card. I think that the 2016 model has a different system in it and has the SD card slot on the dash. I just purchased the Becker unit and am learning how to use it.
I also think that both systems have to be pre-wired from the factory in order for these factory systems to work. Of course you can always purchase an aftermarket unit in place of the factory items.
Also do a search as there more info on the systems here on the forum.

Tom

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a 2015 GLA250, and it came with option number 508 Becker Map Pilot pre-wiring, and the Harmon Kardan sound system. What that means is that there is a place in the left top of the glove box to slide in a Becker Map Pilot unit, sized somewhat smaller than a deck of cards. The cost of the pre-wiring option was $200. I was told that the Becker Map unit was $600 at the dealer's parts department. I bought a unit on eBay for $226. It is Q03 A906 900 48 03. Date of manufacture 08/15, best use before Q1/2017. Their website is not easy to use, but I thing this is the most current map date. I called the dealer parts department before I bought it and read them the part number and they said it wasn't the right number for my car, but I bought it anyway, and it works at least as well as the system that was in the BMW I traded. The voice input part of it is almost completely useless, but that may be partly the fault of the GLA's relatively poor voice capability. People have a great deal of trouble understanding phone conversations. This Becker unit is for North America. There is an SD card slot in the unit, which the full manual (find stored in the unit and on-line, not in the box) says it is for other maps, perhaps for Europe or South America? Again, info from Becker not much help. When I bought the car, I test drove a 2016, and the sales rep told me that in 2016 they had changed the NAV to a Garmin unit, that got it's map info from an SD card, that you insert near the volume control knob in the middle console. I can't say how much that card costs, or if it's an option, since I wasn't getting a 2016. According to the sales rep, once you put this SD card in the unit, it is married to that VIN number, and cannot be used in another car. The Becker Map Pilot is removable and quite possibly fits in a number of other vehicles. There were about 100 Beckers available on eBay, used and new. I chose the new one, because in theory within 45 days of starting to use it, you can go online and get a free map update. Otherwise updates cost $99, and are done through your computer. I hooked mine up to the computer, and was able to download the full manual (this is also on the internet), but my computer is a 64 bit, and when I tried to access the unit set up, I got an error message that said something about 32 bit. Since my unit is probably current, I'm not going to play with updating for a while. I noticed that a recently opened traffic circle is on the unit. BTW, this unit gets almost 80% 1 star ratings on Amazon. I have used it locally a number of times, trying to learn how to do it, and I find it quite satisfactory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jan, I think it depends on what year you have. The 2015 GLA for the USA has the Becker Map Pilot, which also has a provision for an SD card. I think that the 2016 model has a different system in it and has the SD card slot on the dash. I just purchased the Becker unit and am learning how to use it.
I also think that both systems have to be pre-wired from the factory in order for these factory systems to work. Of course you can always purchase an aftermarket unit in place of the factory items.
Also do a search as there more info on the systems here on the forum.

Tom
I have a 2016 GLA on order and expect to be deliverd the 15th of june.
I know he is pre wired for the Garmin pilot navigation,but i ordered the car with the professional pack (navigation,backup camera and light and sight pack).
I thought (read or seen that somewhere)that when you buy with nav. from factory that the 2016 gla will arrive with a bigger screen,but i'm not sure ?

Cheers,
Jan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts