Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering...I'm thinking about getting the nav GPS installed on my 2018 GLA 250 4matic. My question is, does Garmin provide updates free of charge for the maps and can I do it myself or does it have to go to the dealership? Thanks..

·
674 Posts
If you have the standard radio (audio 20) it came with Garmin Map Pilot pre-wired. All you need is the SD card that has the firmware and maps. MB parts will sell you one for something like $600. You can buy one on Ebay for less than $100. It may be out of date but you can update it free.

GLA 2016 and newer you have Garmin Map Pilot. Pre 2016 models had Becker Map Pilot.

You download MB Download Manager ( https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/en-gb/collection/garmin-map-pilot ). Insert the SD card into your PC and run the updates. It will first update the firmware which is takes a short time. Then you update the maps data, this will take many hours to update. I started this before going to bed and woke up next morning and it was updated. You then insert the SD card into the slot on the dash and turn on Nav and do the install on the car. Note the SD card must remain in the slot all time for the Nav to work and every thing is on the card. Note the card is limited to work on one car only and can not be moved from car to car.

Note if you have MB Command Update grade radio then NAV should be already installed and working. It will require dealer to do map updates. Thing the first one is free and than there is a charge for others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found one on eBay for $38.50 and it's dated 2016, but it's still fairly accurate for my needs.

Can't post the link, but search for "Mercedes Benz Navigation SD Card CLA CLS GLA SLC GARMIN Map Pilot A2189066002" and the price is still the same.

Arrived in a few days. Takes a few minutes to load up.

·
674 Posts
Found one on eBay for $38.50 and it's dated 2016, but it's still fairly accurate for my needs.

Can't post the link, but search for "Mercedes Benz Navigation SD Card CLA CLS GLA SLC GARMIN Map Pilot A2189066002" and the price is still the same.

Arrived in a few days. Takes a few minutes to load up.
You can update this firmware and maps as explained in the post above made 09/03/2019.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd like to add navigation to my 2016 GLA. Seems SD cards on ebay are pretty cheap. There's several different versions being sold (from v9 - v13) with prices increasing about $10 between versions. If the firmware is upgrade-able, does it matter which version I buy? Some people were commenting that their software updated but not the maps... Can anyone confirm? Do any newer versions NOT work for some reason in cars with Audio 20? Thanks.

·
674 Posts
The MB Download manager checks what version you have and if it is out of date will update it. This applies to both firmware and maps. I have run mine several times and the firmware was updated but the version I have for maps was the same as the latest map version so the maps were no changed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently bought a GLA two 2017. The maintenance warning light came on and said to check my right fog lights when I looked I noticed both front and back lights weren’t working. Could this be a fuse? Rarely they both go out simultaneously.

·
674 Posts
You need to check which size screen you have. Audio 20 can be option 522 standard screen or option 526 which is the larger screen. Some sold on will state which option it works with. Check your data card or window sticker which Audio 20 you have, all come prewired now for Garmin Map Pilot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts