Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home and some guy at a cross street with a stop sign decided to wait until I was 25 feet away to pull out. Slammed on the brakes, tried to steer out of the way until I realized a car was coming the other way so rather than head on collision I wound up hitting the knucklehead who couldn't wait to cross the road. Bam!
The ABS brakes had me slowed down under steering control, but there was no way I was going to stop in time to avoid the collision.
Luckily nobody was hurt. No airbag deployment. The GLA looks like it will need a new front fascia, headlight, and some body work on the fender. The other guy? That Ford Focus is **** near totaled. The whole front end was in pieces all over the street, the wheel was tucked under the fender, fluids were pouring out all over the place, and it looked like everything in front of the cabin was shifted over three inches. I drove home after the cops filled out the report and he's still there waiting for a tow truck. The cop even commented that MB's usually come out on top in these collisions.
Anyway...I guess if anyone is curious I'll report back on the repair process.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Wow SPG43, please accept our profound sympathy, but also appreciation that the MB security features worked in your favor. Yes, please do keep us posted on the restoration process, and if you are able to bring yourself to do it, share a photo of your GLA after the incident...before and after. You have our undivided attention. Sincere thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
880 Posts
sorry to hear.. car theft, collision are always hard to hear. hope things goes well for you.

Make sure you tell them (insurance) to repair/replace all the components CLA/GLA have tons of pipes and intercoolers in the front. It might seem the damage is superficial but can be terrible underneath.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well that's definitely a bummer. Did the collision prevention assist kick in here at all?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the sympathy. I'll follow up with the repair saga as that unfolds.

Well that's definitely a bummer. Did the collision prevention assist kick in here at all?
I don't think so. It happened so quickly if it did I didn't notice it. I was fully on the brakes skidding (well ABS skid/steer if you know what I mean) and was trying to steer out of the way of him while braking until I saw the oncoming SUV. At that point there was nowhere to go and he was already blocking the intersection and not stopping. We impacted at the very corner of each of our cars. I don't think the CPA even registered this jerk as he wasn't even in front of me until we hit. In retrospect I think I might have saved this guy from getting crushed by the oncoming SUV that would have hit him full broadside. That guy surely would have hit him if I hadn't.
I think the squirrels around here are better at crossing busy streets than this guy was.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad you are alright.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. It's good to know that the GLA kept a solid box around you. The structure seems to be rather agile. Keep us posted. Take care.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. It's good to know that the GLA kept a solid box around you. The structure seems to be rather agile. Keep us posted. Take care.
No truer statement has been made. I had a similar thing happen to me when I was on my Harley. No cage=two weeks in the hospital. Truth is I don't even remember the van pulling out in front if me, but that's what they tell me happened. Sorry to steal,your thread.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today's update....
I had to leave town for work right after this happened so I wasn't able to get it into the shop or really do anything at all about it. Now that I'm back I was able to call the other guy's insurance company with the police report in hand. They immediately agreed that it was completely his fault and that they'd pay for the repairs and a rental for me to drive in the meantime. I found out that the other guy's car was totaled and that the cops cited him for causing the accident.
Today I dropped the GLA off at the body shop that my local MB dealer uses and got an estimate of over $5,000!! They're not sure how long it will take since they have to get the parts from MBUSA. They expect that GLA parts should be in stock, but since it's a Sport Package front they can't guaranty that it'll be there. So I guess we'll see on that.
The insurance company rental allowance is only $30/day. Nope. Not driving a Hyundai when the accident wasn't my fault. After a little back and forth, mentioning that I was driving a MB SUV and should at least get something with the same functionality, they came around and raised the allowance enough to get me in an SUV. So my car for the next week or two is a Dodge Durango...oh well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Was wondering how it was going. A Durango? Oh the horror.

Seriously, I really feel for you. I had a delivery issue of the rain sensor not working. Fix is a new windshield assembly with all that's stuck on it. Five months later, no auto or intermittent operable wipers, one came in cracked, a second came in with a cloud in the center. I'm trying to be patient and pleasant, but truth is, this is frustrating! I sincerely hope your parts are more readily available than mine. (I recognize there's some customization in the windshield with all the systems associated with it.)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Once had a an accident in an older c class. Got rear ended, I was the end of a chain of accidents (lucky me). The seat belt holders blew up to protect the occupants took mb 3+ months to get new parts from Germany. You think I was the only c class in the whole us that got into an accident.

Made sure the others insurance paid for the 3 months lease I lost

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now you guys are making me worry... I really do hope that they get the parts in quickly. OTOH, I hate to admit it but I'm kinda liking driving an oversized dumb truck! Well, I think that might last for a week. After that I'm sure I'll be over it and want my fun little zippy fuel efficient easy to park GLA back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today's update. It turns out there was a little more damage than they initially thought. Once they took off the bumper and got in there they found some damaged wiring and the structural part that the radiator mounts to is also damaged. The estimate went up another $1500 and they had to get authorization from the insurance company. ...and order more parts. ...and wait. ...and I'm still driving an 18mpg Durango.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear your story, but like the other posts, glad the GLA kept you safe!

We had a similar—yet maybe even stranger thing happen a week or so ago: my wife was sitting at a stop sign waiting for cross traffic to clear so she could turn right. A cop was behind her, and for some reason, he rear-ended our GLA! In a few moments there were other cops, and even the evidence technician (CSI) taking photos, etc! The big ramming bumper did a number on the bumper and related pieces, but the city admitted fault (obviously), and once the wheels of the bureaucracy turn enough our insurance company will be reimbursed.

$1300 later the car is back and looks perfect again!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Really pleased you had a happy ending to what could have been an ugly event!
Thanks! my guess is the officer was either texting or, just as bad, using his big giant computer screen that all the cops have nowadays.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She's back!!! Finally!!!
I just got my GLA back today after a month. A. MONTH. Seriously. a month.
I'm not sure that I can blame MB for all the delay. The body shop seemed to be pretty busy and they didn't order some of the parts right away since they didn't know they needed them.
Anyway, $6,000 and a month later it's as good as new. Nice to be driving a zippy fun little car again after that beast of an SUV from the rental company. ...not to mention the Durango was getting 16.1mpg so I was paying twice as much for gas to get around this past month.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
She's back!!! Finally!!!
I just got my GLA back today after a month. A. MONTH. Seriously. a month.
I'm not sure that I can blame MB for all the delay. The body shop seemed to be pretty busy and they didn't order some of the parts right away since they didn't know they needed them.
Anyway, $6,000 and a month later it's as good as new. Nice to be driving a zippy fun little car again after that beast of an SUV from the rental company. ...not to mention the Durango was getting 16.1mpg so I was paying twice as much for gas to get around this past month.
WOO HOO! :D:D Congratulations! You've been so patient through a bad situation. You're a role model for us all. Well done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts