Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My order: 2016 GLA 250 4matic, Jupiter red over black leather, burled walnut dash, Premium package, Interior package, Sport package, blind spot assist, Garmin Map Pilot, Panorama Sunroof, 19” AMG wheels. No camera because I’m not the idiot who backed over his grandchildren. Manual front passenger seat because it can fold forward to accommodate long objects. I wanted leather because a Mercedes-Benz with fake leather just didn’t seem right (I have a gallon of Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil at the ready.).

I will be replacing the run flats with standard tires. I will carry a 12V compressor, tire plugging kit and a jack. Maybe a spare later. The dealer will apply a partial plastic protective film. I have bought Weathertech floor liners: front seats, rear seats and cargo area.

Delivery timeline: ordered on December 18, 2015, order modified on January 4, 2016, salesman said the car was built on January 18. The ship left Bremerhaven on March 3rd.

I got the VIN on March 9th. I checked the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics website several times, always getting “No Records Found”. I called the dealer and he said Mercedes was not using WWL and that the car was on the Euphony Ace. Today (March 15), the ship was tied up at the North Atlantic Distribution center, Davisville, RI, probably disembarking VWs, Audis or Porsches. I will update as I get new information

I don’t think I’ve been this enthusiastic about any car in my life. Hope I’m not setting myself up for a big disappointment.

Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic (on its way)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Euphony Ace finished unloading some of its cargo at Davisville, RI, and headed toward Charleston, SC, late yesterday, where, presumably it will be disembarking or embarking BMWs. It is scheduled to arrive there early on Friday, the 18th. Then it will move on down the coast to Brunswick, GA to unload Mercedes, including ours.

The Euphony Ace, at least, goes long periods without reporting its position. I hope it is an electronic failure or simply a policy to report infrequently, rather than something bad. We really don’t want to spend another 3 months waiting for another car. Although we might rethink the rearview camera and the electric front passenger’s seat.

Tom

·
Registered
179 Posts
You will like be the car. Good luck with the wait.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The Euphony Ace, at least, goes long periods without reporting its position. I hope it is an electronic failure or simply a policy to report infrequently, rather than something bad. We really don’t want to spend another 3 months waiting for another car. Although we might rethink the rearview camera and the electric front passenger’s seat.
Unlike airline trackers, most ship tracking sites only show ships approaching, in, or departing harbors. I've tracked ships across the Pacific and only actively see them within coastal waters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Turbo. I had visions of our new GLA as a new home for a family of crabs.

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS. I just checked Vessel Finder and the Euphony Ace and the Triton Ace, a sister vehicle carrier, are both off Kitty Hawk, headed south. Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting Closer

Thanks, rvittori. I am sooooooo looking forward to this.

News: the Euphony Ace visited Charleston on Friday as planned. It then sailed to Brunswick (Georgia) harbor where Mercedes-Benz has their vehicle preparation center for the South, Texas and Oklahoma.

The Euphony Ace is now (Sunday night) tied up to the dock in Brunswick harbor. The Triton Ace is in the process of leaving Brunswick. There are at least five Something Aces vehicle carriers.

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's here!!!

:D

The Euphony Ace arrived in Brunswick harbor this past Sunday, the 20th. Apparently the car didn’t stay at the Vehicle Preparation Center in Brunswick very long because I got a call from the Jackie Cooper Imports service advisor (a good friend from my BMW days) early this morning with the good news. I think Mike has the paint protective film on the car by now. We will pick up the car Tuesday then take it to a tire dealer to have real Michelins installed in place of the Goodyear Runonflats with which it came. I have my tire kit (a real MB jack, a real MB compressor and a tire plugging kit that I built) gathered together, the Weathertech floor liners and a sunshield for the windshield. From order to arrival in Tulsa was 98 days.

Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic (in Tulsa)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
:D

The Euphony Ace arrived in Brunswick harbor this past Sunday, the 20th. Apparently the car didn’t stay at the Vehicle Preparation Center in Brunswick very long because I got a call from the Jackie Cooper Imports service advisor (a good friend from my BMW days) early this morning with the good news.

Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic (in Tulsa)

The Jupiter Red looks great with the AMG wheels and body trim. Congratulations!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it

:D Time for an update.

The GLA arrived at Jackie Cooper Imports in Tulsa on March 25. We went to pick it up on the 29th. (Tulsa is almost 100 miles away so we can’t just drop everything and drive to the dealer in a few minutes.) Immediately after delivery, we took the car to Robertson Tire for a set of Michelin Premier LTX standard tires to replace the Goodyear LS2 runflats (24 miles, $450 shipped, if you’re interested). Then we drove it home.
So far (750 miles), the car has run perfectly. With all the electronic features, it has had the longest learning curve of any car we’ve owned. Three downsides to maneuvering. It is a little hard to see out of so getting it centered in a parking space takes practice. Backing in tight areas is more difficult (sorry we didn’t get the rearview camera). It turns closer to curbs than it looks, so you have to go further into the intersection before turning onto the cross street. I imagine we will get better at it as we drive the car. Nice size. Very quick and handles well. Love the transmission and the little growl the engine makes. Everything comes on automatically.
Since I already posted a pic of the car, above, I will not repeat it.
The first picture, below, is the M-B jack kit (jack, ratchet, lug wrench, wheel chock, guide pins and nifty gloves) bought new on eBay ($123), plus lift pads, pressure gage and M-B 12V compressor (also bought new on eBay, $50).
The second photo is of the tire plugging kit I put together for about $40 (can be bought complete online). As stated elsewhere, 11 times out of 12, I have caught punctures in the garage and fixed them permanently, right then, with the plugging kit. I have used a spare “in the field” only one time in my entire life, so I will likely do without one for the GLA.
The third picture is how the above kits store in the car in the old spare tire well under the cargo space trap door.
Really liking it so far.

Tom
2016 GLA 250 4matic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Three downsides to maneuvering. It is a little hard to see out of so getting it centered in a parking space takes practice. Backing in tight areas is more difficult (sorry we didn’t get the rearview camera). It turns closer to curbs than it looks, so you have to go further into the intersection before turning onto the cross street. I imagine we will get better at it as we drive the car.
Yes indeed, hard to see getting centered in a parking place, and so true on turning closer to the curb! Sorry you didn't get the rearview camera, that makes a world of difference, now second nature for us to watch it. Yes, you will get better at those limitations as you get more stick time. Good report!

·
Registered
106 Posts

... we took the car to Robertson Tire for a set of Michelin Premier LTX standard tires ...

I am interested in getting the Michelin Premier LTX tires for winter duty in Colorado for my GLA. Have you experienced them on snow? What made you decide on the Premier LTX? And what wheel size did you put the tires on?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ray,

I have the AMG 19" wheels (see pic, above). The correct tire size for that wheel is 235/45-19. I am a big fan of Michelin tires because of all the good service I have gotten from them over many miles, years, sizes and vehicles. The Premier LTX is the only Michelin in that size.

We have had our GLA for all of one month and 1100 miles. So far, we've gotten good service from the tires, but almost all of it has been on dry pavement. It snowed a tiny fraction of one inch, here in Oklahoma, but that was before we even got the GLA.

Having said all that, I don't think all-season tires will be all that great on ice or snow. I recommend that you: buy a set of spare wheels, install dedicated snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks or Yokohama Iceguards, not all-seasons like the Premier LTX) on them and have the tires studded. When you get a stretch of icy/snowy weather, switch to the snow tires and it will seem like you are driving on dry pavement. If it's going to be dry for a while switch back to the LTXs. You can leave the snows on all winter, but you probably don't want to use them year round. Studded tires would be good only for icy conditions and may be illegal in some areas.

Tom
2016 GLA 250 4matic

·
Registered
106 Posts

The GLA arrived at Jackie Cooper Imports in Tulsa on March 25. We went to pick it up on the 29th. (Tulsa is almost 100 miles away so we can’t just drop everything and drive to the dealer in a few minutes.) Immediately after delivery, we took the car to Robertson Tire for a set of Michelin Premier LTX standard tires to replace the Goodyear LS2 runflats (24 miles, $450 shipped, if you’re interested). Then we drove it home.
So far (750 miles), the car has run perfectly. With all the electronic features, it has had the longest learning curve of any car we’ve owned. Three downsides to maneuvering. It is a little hard to see out of so getting it centered in a parking space takes practice. Backing in tight areas is more difficult (sorry we didn’t get the rearview camera). It turns closer to curbs than it looks, so you have to go further into the intersection before turning onto the cross street. I imagine we will get better at it as we drive the car. Nice size. Very quick and handles well. Love the transmission and the little growl the engine makes. Everything comes on automatically.
The first picture, below, is the M-B jack kit (jack, ratchet, lug wrench, wheel chock, guide pins and nifty gloves) bought new on eBay ($123), plus lift pads, pressure gage and M-B 12V compressor (also bought new on eBay, $50).
The second photo is of the tire plugging kit I put together for about $40 (can be bought complete online). As stated elsewhere, 11 times out of 12, I have caught punctures in the garage and fixed them permanently, right then, with the plugging kit. I have used a spare “in the field” only one time in my entire life, so I will likely do without one for the GLA.
The third picture is how the above kits store in the car in the old spare tire well under the cargo space trap door.
Really liking it so far.

Tom
2016 GLA 250 4matic
Ray,

I have the AMG 19" wheels (see pic, above). The correct tire size for that wheel is 235/45-19. I am a big fan of Michelin tires because of all the good service I have gotten from them over many miles, years, sizes and vehicles. The Premier LTX is the only Michelin in that size.

We have had our GLA for all of one month and 1100 miles. So far, we've gotten good service from the tires, but almost all of it has been on dry pavement. It snowed a tiny fraction of one inch, here in Oklahoma, but that was before we even got the GLA.

Having said all that, I don't think all-season tires will be all that great on ice or snow. I recommend that you: buy a set of spare wheels, install dedicated snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks or Yokohama Iceguards, not all-seasons like the Premier LTX) on them and have the tires studded. When you get a stretch of icy/snowy weather, switch to the snow tires and it will seem like you are driving on dry pavement. If it's going to be dry for a while switch back to the LTXs. You can leave the snows on all winter, but you probably don't want to use them year round. Studded tires would be good only for icy conditions and may be illegal in some areas.

Tom
2016 GLA 250 4matic

Thanks very much Tom! I agree snow tires are generally better (especially when it drops below 45 F) and I do exactly what you suggested on my other cars. But, even though the Premier LTX tires are all seasons, they have better ratings for snow traction (both light and deep snow) on tirerack than most other snow tires (other than the Blizzaks you mentioned).

I haven't gotten studded tires in Colorado because they are way too noisy and not really necessary. Not-withstanding what everybody thinks about Colorado weather, we do get a lot of warmish/sunny days here during winter, so the studded tires aren't necessary like some other places where the snow doesn't melt all winter.

I think I spoke too soon though. I may still get the chance to drive my wife's car that has the Premier LTXes installed. We are supposed to get some snow this weekend :)

I will report back if that happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ray,

I am originally from Ohio which had 4 to 6 really good snows a year. (I still look forward to snow season, here.) Oklahoma might have one good one a year (except for 2015-16) and a few dustings. Sometime after I bought my BMW 325i in ’92, I did the all-seasons-on-the-OEM-wheels and the studded-snow-tires-on-spare-wheels arrangement and was thrilled when the snow tires performed as well on ice and snow as the all-seasons did on drive pavement. (No sliding into the intersection you see on the nightly news.) The only problem was that really good snows were sufficiently infrequent, here, that it doesn’t justify keeping, and the labor to switch the wheels.

Sorry I couldn’t offer more insight on the LTXs, but, based on past experience, I expect a lot out of them. They have a 60,000 mile tire life guarantee with them. Plus I got a $70 rebate on the set (yippee).

I’ll be interested in a report on the LTX performance on snow.

Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recommend that you: buy a set of spare wheels, install dedicated snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks or Yokohama Iceguards, not all-seasons like the Premier LTX) on them and have the tires studded....
No!!!!!!!!! Do not get studded tires. Studs are old, lame, long since discredited technology. Studs are terrible on anything other than deep ice, and even on deep ice you can get the same performance from any modern siped snow tires. Ever hit the brakes with studded tires in the rain? Wheeeee! You'll be sliding in no time. Ever try to drive faster than a crawl on studs? Not fun.
I lived for many years up on a mountain that saw 30 FEET of snow every winter. Even there we didn't bother with studded tires since they were so terrible as soon as you got off the packed snow and ice access road. A decent pair of snow tires are all you need. Besides, studs are terrible for the roads and should be illegal everywhere just for that reason alone.
"But, but, but, haven't you seen those sick rally cars racing on studded tires?" Yes, but do you see them run those studded tires on anything other than that iced over race course? No. And you're not a rally car driver on a winter track.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ray,
... Studded tires would be good only for icy conditions and may be illegal in some areas.
Tom
2016 GLA 250 4matic

SPG45,

Please read the entire post, above (pertinent excerpt provided). My experience, apparently, is different than yours. I had my only set of snow tires studded from the beginning and had no ill effects. The biggest downside was the inconvenience of having to mount the snow tires and then demount them when the bad weather passed. If there was little icy/snowy weather it was hard to justify all the trouble and expense for so little benefit.
Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic

·
Registered
182 Posts
dyn, I did read that, but seriously...who swaps tires every time the temperature drops below or goes above freezing? People will put their studded tires on in November and keep them on until April, May, or I was really busy so only got around to it in June. In the meantime they're chewing up the roads and sliding around on the wet concrete highways. There is really no benefit of studs in normal use that can compensate for the reduced performance overall, not to mention the damage that they cause and we all have to pay for through increased taxes. Those roads ain't really free ya know!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Really liking it so far.

Tom
2016 GLA 250 4matic
hey dyn-o-mite,

can you post the link to all of the items that you bought on eBay?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ebil,

Jack Kit. In eBay, search “mercedes GLK jack”. The GLK jack will fit the GLA like the GLA jack would if the GLA had a jack. You can search “mercedes jack” but then you also get the single-scissors jacks and the side-pin jacks which will not work on the GLA. Also search “121530620678” for a specific listing example. This listing is for a new kit complete with bag and all the little accessories. I think mine cost about $75 with a lot of shipping cost (from Germany), totaling about $123.

Compressor. In eBay, search “mercedes tire compressor”, sort by lowest price. You could also search 12V compressor but will find that the number of 12V compressors produced is exceeded only slightly by the pounds of food produced in the world each year. A specific example is “172163219238”. You should be able to find a new one in the $50-70 range, with reasonable or no shipping costs.

Jack Pads. If you want to use a fancy pad with your floor jack or garage lift, these can also be bought through eBay by searching “mercedes jack pad”. An example is item number “331727025688”.

Griot’s Garage sells a tire plugging kit already made up for $30 and the same plugging kit with a compressor for $83, “Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789. The advantage of a genuine M-B compressor is it will definitely fit in the spare tire well under the cargo area, even with the Harmon-Kardon system electronics (see pix above). You can also make up your own plugging kit at your nearest auto parts store. The auto parts store will also have a tire pressure gage which is very necessary for good tire health.

The above will not protect you against sidewall damage. Only a spare tire will do that. Unfortunately, just about any spare tire you could find will take up a large volume of space in the GLA. Right now, I plan to take the risk and just take the above items without a spare.

Tom
2016 GLA250 4matic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts