Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
we have selected gas stations that carry 100.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/142051-socal-100-octane-pump-gas-list-locations.html

and yes it is very pricey. There's one in Newport.
Using a octane rating above the nominal 93 gets you nothing. It's not the lower 91 that yields lower MPG; it's the ethanol blend. 91 lowers performance (peak power/torque) but has little effect on MPG because the ECU adapts to the lower octane with the appropriate engine mapping.

Ideally these engines should get ethanol-free 93 octane gas - to get the advertised performance/MPG.

One can blend 100 octane with 91 to get the prescribed 93 (no benefit in going above that). Doing that one gets the nominal performance. But that does not improve MPG, because ethanol is still there and in addition 100 octane usually has ethanol.

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
Energy density is a bear. We have ethanol because we have farm subsidies. Without a better catalyst, more energy goes into getting ethanol than we get out of it.

GLAOwner is spot on and I am kicking myself for having forgotten what he has pointed out!!!

BTW, ethanol can be really bad on seals and has caused some fires due to leaking gas in older classics. This is not a problem for modem cars, but I swear I have lost more than a couple chain saws and other yard tools on account of it. The gas pumps stop pumping. I now spend ridiculous sums of money to buy small cans of premixed gas from Home Depot and it has paid off with tools that no longer fail.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We have a local Sunoco station that has ethanol free 93 at one pump. I might try a few tanks. Don't what the price is, but it's undoubtedly more. Might be worth mixing 89 with ethanol and the ethanol free 93. Is it possible where you live that there are stations that sell ethanol free, and you don't know it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
...I have lost more than a couple chain saws and other yard tools on account of it. The gas pumps stop pumping. I now spend ridiculous sums of money to buy small cans of premixed gas from Home Depot and it has paid off with tools that no longer fail.
A shame, really! A product I have been using on older cars is StaBil 360 Ethanol Treatment. I wonder if that would work for small gas powered tools.

Even though modern cars are certified to use E10 I see no harm in using StaBil 360 on those too (1oz/5gallons of gas).

·
Registered
236 Posts
.... I've been told all MB filters are nothing but Mann Filters re-labeled.... I'm not sure but logic tells me that it only makes sense( The newer Laser Irridium from NGK) are pre-set from factory, but a lot of stuff needs to be moved in order to get at the plugs ( Have a mechanic do it, it'll cost $150.00). If you allow the engine to breathe cleaner air, and the MAF sensor is getting sufficient air, engine can breathe more and generate more MPG's.
Yes ... MB engine oil here in US is re-branded Mobil 1, and air/oil filters are re-branded Mann. My experience with spark plugs, specially with the extra long life the NGK Iridium sparks is that after 60K miles (on my 2009 BMW) is that it will "freeze" and impossible to unscrew them. First they are very deeply embedded and spark sockets are of very thin wall, I would yank them out at 50K miles or so, clean them and re-install with anti seize thread compounds. The MAP sensor will fowl up after 50K miles or so. All you need to do is (CAREFULLY) spray with MAP sensor cleaner spray. If you touch the sensor element you ruined it.

Nitrogen filled tires is a preference, there a lots of skeptics that do not see the benefit this. It is used in the military, commercial fleet and in aviation. It is proven to preserve the malleability of the inner rubber walls, slow down dry rot, increase longevity of TPMS and more volume stable to due to temperature fluctuations. I know at least that my MB dealer (Maitland FL) uses nitrogen, so does one other giant retailer - Costco (they use green colored valve caps).

The best mileage I got (34.2 mpg) was when I filled up my full tank with Sunoco brand Ultra 93. I have yet to find gas with 100 octane.

·
Super Moderator
1,725 Posts
Use caution with anti seize on spark plugs. You shouldn't. See the attached photos from my 997 book. Or look it up on the web.

The atmosphere is almost 80% nitrogen. This is more inert than oxygen and does not absorb water that can amplify pressure change with temperature. I like nitrogen in my tires. But I use atmosphere when in my garage or at gas stations.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Right - so here are some stats for my journey back from cornwall:
Miles travelled: 270
MPG: 30.7
Average speed: 55mph
Driving modes: a mix of some comfort and a lot of sport
Petrol used: Shell V Power and some residual BP 97 octane
Time taken: approx 4 hours 40

It is worth pointing out that there was hardly any motorway involved apart from a few miles on the M3 motorway. The rest of the journey was exclusively A roads being the A31, A30, A303 mainly with speed limits ranging from 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 miles per hour and moderate traffic in some parts. There were tons of roundabouts and slow vehicles that needed some swift overtaking.
The journey also involved some high speeds too to make up for the heavy traffic for some parts of the journey and the low speed limits for various portions of the journey so i would be averaging around 95mph for quite a few national speed limit sections of the journey which is how i managed to keep my average speed of 55mph decent enough.

Overall , the fuel economy is very respectable given how i was pushing the vehicle with lots of fast accelerating etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Using a octane rating above the nominal 93 gets you nothing. It's not the lower 91 that yields lower MPG; it's the ethanol blend. 91 lowers performance (peak power/torque) but has little effect on MPG because the ECU adapts to the lower octane with the appropriate engine mapping.

Ideally these engines should get ethanol-free 93 octane gas - to get the advertised performance/MPG.

One can blend 100 octane with 91 to get the prescribed 93 (no benefit in going above that). Doing that one gets the nominal performance. But that does not improve MPG, because ethanol is still there and in addition 100 octane usually has ethanol.
People do not use 100 octane for MPG. It is for perceived better performance.
anyone buying a car looking for good MPG should not be buying any AMG.

i am still way under 20MPG.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i am getting about 9km/l ie about 25mpg.
short travelling urban area daily 30km total. takes about 2 hours. in comfort mode.
atm testing the eco mode, whether any different

·
Registered
236 Posts
Use caution with anti seize on spark plugs. You shouldn't. See the attached photos from my 997 book. Or look it up on the web.
I couldn't agree with you more that using anti seizing compound on any fastener will cause the thread to "creap" as shown on your photos. The lubrication provided by the anti-seize compound will "over torque" the thread thereby exceeding the torque limits. I set the sparks to a lower value; of course the danger is that it may cause gas blow by.

·
Registered
221 Posts
OP doesn't have a 45 though...

Without location info, it's impossible to be sure, but especially as the GLA is FWD based, I don't see the point in the 4MATIC version. FWD is just fine in the snow (What gets people is usually the "stopping" part, on which all vehicles are on equal ground), and the AWD linkage and weight eat fuel economy. The 250 doesn't have enough power to suffer from torque steer (and Honda just proved that bar is climbing ever higher), so to me, there is no reason to buy the 250-4 over the 250. If you suffer from severe winters you should have snowies anyways, and in a pinch one can always back their FWD vehicle up the hill.

I think the 4MATIC version is a "buyer peace of mind" money-add with limited at best actual benefit. Even on the 45 you're very aware when it brings the back end in. I'd really like an STI-style selectable center diff, but MB is new to the AWD game, and that diff and the driveline are very specialized hardware.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've had mine for two winters, and though there hasn't been a lot of snow, there has been enough to get a feel for how the GLA deals with it, and it did very well. It was 17 deg F this morning; snow can't be far off, it will be fun to try again with the new tires. I have had several FWD cars over the past years, and have found all of them to be quite good in the snow. Definitely agree-we're all in the same boat when it's time to stop.

·
Registered
159 Posts
tested over weekend 500+km highway
i am getting 32mpg, not impressive considering i am driving in Eco mode

compare to my old Fiat Grande (12yrs old) , I am getting 42mpg on highway driving recently

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with poor fuel economy. I have had my 2015 GLA 4matic for a few months. I work 114 miles from where I live and make the drive 9 times a month roughly. My fuel economy hasn't been that great. Mercedes says there is nothing wrong but it has gotten worse. My drive is mostly flat. Last time all Hwy I got 25 there and back 27 mpg. I drive it in economy at that is 99 and 88 percent.
Thanks
Tara
On the Highway I'm getting 32-34 mpg exit to exit with premium fuel. I set it the adaptive cruise at about 73-76 mph and just leave it there. In straight 100% city driving I get 19-22. In mixed or intermediate driving I get 25-28 mpg. Car is 2016 AWD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get around 20-22mpg around town with spirited driving sprinkled in....I'm amazed that if I'm on it pretty hard that the GLA45 gets around 14mpg... still better than my 8cyl AMG that averaged around 12...and could be driven down to about 9mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1500 miles into our trip this summer getting 32.2 mpg with a 4matic. Driving about 3 miles over the speed limit. San Diego to Spokane through the Eastern Sierras, Tahoe, Reno, Boise then up the 95 to Coer Dalene and Spokane. Very pleased with the mpg, ride, and passing power. We'll be in Seattle soon to see our new grand daughter

·
658 Posts
1500 miles into our trip this summer getting 32.2 mpg with a 4matic. Driving about 3 miles over the speed limit.
What is the general speed limit. Driving 3 miles over 55 and 3 miles over 65 or 70 can make a big difference. Is the 32.2 using the display on the car or by miles divided by gallons used. I find the display is reporting a higher number than when you divide miles by gallons used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good question about mpg vs mph. The average speed limit was probably 65. There were a few places as fast as 80 in Idaho. Some mountain passes were 55. I think I will check the gallons used and see compare it to the cars computer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most cars sold in US are optimized to get best MPG around 65 MPH speed. I got my best record of 36MPG driving at that speed for 3 hours. When I drove around 70 to 80 MPG on highway, my average MPG drops back to 30 to 32 MPG.

This car has been the best MPG of all AWD cars I have ever owned. I had 5 different Subarus in the past. None of them ever past 25MPG in real world highway driving. Mostly around 20MPG. So, my GLA250 is night and day compared to those.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts