Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with poor fuel economy. I have had my 2015 GLA 4matic for a few months. I work 114 miles from where I live and make the drive 9 times a month roughly. My fuel economy hasn't been that great. Mercedes says there is nothing wrong but it has gotten worse. My drive is mostly flat. Last time all Hwy I got 25 there and back 27 mpg. I drive it in economy at that is 99 and 88 percent.
Thanks
Tara

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Speed makes a big difference. On our 45, at 60 mph we get just over 30mpg (this was in Europe with 93 octane, figures drop by 2 with California 91 gas). At 110 mph we drop to 20. This seems to be fairly linear, dropping about 2 mpg per 10 mph increase. I found I could do better with hills where I could engage sail mode. This was true with Pam's Lexus RX400h as well. Getting good gas mileage is a different paradigm than it was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the GLA forum Tara. Sorry to hear your mileage experience, would seem like you should have better performance. I see from your photos that you're driving in the Economy mode as you mentioned, but you didn't say if you are using the minimum octane fuel requirement, 91 or 92. How is your ECO start/stop system working? That can gain a mile or two per gallon depending on varying circumstances.

Also, in your 114 mile drive, do you have a lot of traffic or stoplights? Do you do other short distance travel besides the 114 mile trip? One of the console screens monitors your realtime mileage performance, up and down as you drive, as opposed to the average mileage screens you showed. That could give you valuable insight to what's sucking down fuel. I am averaging about 26 MPG in short distance island driving in the Comfort mode, so your experience might not be too far off expectations. I've only gotten over 30 MPG once when I drove one of our three freeways that goes 20 miles or so. Would love to see how I'd do on a US mainland long distance trip.

Most of all, are you doing full fill-ups to the same point (usually the first nozzle click) and resetting all your screens to the default settings, as well as doing manual math of trip odometer miles divided by gallons of fuel to compare numbers? It might be your computer readout is skewed by not getting reset upon fill up. I find the two rarely agree for me, with no real correlation either way.

BTW, if 82 MPH is your standard speed, that might be a clue as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
colder weather will hurt mpg.
lower pressure in the tires during cold.
traveling speed,
also most importance is that the gas quality changes for cold weather with special additives use by gas companies at least in MAss.
so tuning the cars also not a good idea due to the additives in the gas.
C

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unbelievable marvelous high MPG !!!

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with poor fuel economy.
The GLA 250SUV (non 4Matic) delivers amazing high MPG for such a fast accelerating SUV with high ground clearance.

I just made an epic road trip from Orlando to NJ, and then northward on to Portland ME and Booth Bay Harbor. After 9 hours of driving (non continuous), 576 miles, at average speed of 63 mph my average MPG was 34.5 mile/gallons !!! This is phenomenal, the ride of this car at 75 mph is absolutely marvelous. I have front strut brace, first oil change at 4,750 miles and Nitrogen filled tires at F 33 psig and R 29 psig respectively. The ambient temperature throughout the trip was about 58ºF - 84ºF.

I used extensively Distance Pilot Distronic, I had it set at 75 mph when traveling on I95 all the time, with exception coming out of NYC at Saw Mill Parkway.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
On my recent trip from Washington DC to Toronto, a round trip for about 1000 miles, my average MPG is around 29mpg. 2017 GLA 250 4matic and 2 passengers. Average highway speed is about 65 to 70mph. This has been the best I have seen on any AWD cars I have ever driven (I have owned many Subarus).

Speed is a main factor for fuel consumption. Most passenger cars are design to have best fuel mileage at 55 to 65 mph. Higher speed will cause higher fuel consumption.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am at about 12 MPG. worse than my S4 with the 4.2 V8. walk with a limp...

·
Registered
115 Posts
i've only done 3700 miles (in my 2017 GLA 45) but will soon do a 700 odd mile round trip in a week's time when i take a road trip to the southwest of the UK. So far, the overall MPG has crept up to 25.6mpg. A lot of my driving is urban driving. Best i've been able to do on short journeys (approx 30 miles) including motorway driving is 35mpg. I had used BP 97 fuel up to this point but have now switched to Shell 99 which seems to make the car run smoother. I'll update you guys on how my long journey goes in terms of fuel economy

·
Registered
74 Posts
jump in my man...

recent cars: S4 Avant, 335 M-sport, Porsche 981, now this.

In other news, son's car hit this afternoon. bummer

·
Registered
116 Posts
I noticed poor fuel eco when I first bought the car, then I discovered that not every car dealership that sells a car used will check the air filter in the engine. https://www.knfilters.com/air_filter/mercedes_benz_gla250.aspx Probably the best air filter for the engine to date. I'm still running a 18.00 air filter which can be acquired from Rock Auto as I've been told all MB filters are nothing but Mann Filters re-labeled( MB Price for new air filter $54.and then another $50 just to put it in. Save yourself the heartache and grab a T-20/25 torx bit unzip 4 screws plop in new air filter, re-screw back into place and presto. Next up is the spark plugs. I've noticed running newer spark plugs that the engine has gained some MPG's coincidence I'm not sure but logic tells me that it only makes sense( The newer Laser Irridium from NGK) are pre-set from factory, but a lot of stuff needs to be moved in order to get at the plugs ( Have a mechanic do it, it'll cost $150.00). If you allow the engine to breathe cleaner air, and the MAF sensor is getting sufficient air, engine can breathe more and generate more MPG's. Also as many have mentioned tire pressure. It really doesn't matter whether or not the car has Nitrogen or regular air.

Tuning the car could be an option however.......to me it sounds like there's something else clogging the system.

There's another thread dealing with spark plugs on here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's what it is for me rofl. When you drive normally the fuel economy is magic. But rapid starts seriously just make the fuel disappear.
;)yep.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Made a quick 150 mile round trip to Indianapolis last weekend, mostly on I65 cruising with traffic somewhere between 77 and 88 MPH. Got 34.0 MPG southbound with a tailwind, 31.5 MPG on return against the wind. My GLA 250 has 30K miles and was running 93 octane fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
FWIW, I have found the higher octane European fuel returned better mileage than the 91 octane we have in California.

·
Registered
189 Posts
FWIW, I have found the higher octane European fuel returned better mileage than the 91 octane we have in California.
I think the real culprit is ethanol in US gas - with inherently a lower energy content. We all pay for that and lose.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts

Almost all Indiana and other Midwest state gas stations offer 87/89/93 octane selections. Seems odd that CA with its stricter emission regs only has 91 octane. Doesn't more MPG = more efficiency = less pollution?

How common is E85 in CA?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I think the real culprit is ethanol in US gas - with inherently a lower energy content. We all pay for that and lose.

Yep, I've experimented with E85. Fuel economy drops by 7 to 10 MPG. Figuring that to be the case, I only tried it when E85 was priced at $1.69/gallon versus 93 Octane at $2.89/gallon.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep, I've experimented with E85. Fuel economy drops by 7 to 10 MPG. Figuring that to be the case, I only tried it when E85 was priced at $1.69/gallon versus 93 Octane at $2.89/gallon.
gas a little more $ here unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts