Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wonder what kind of MPG the diesel GLA is getting compared to the petrol because 25 - 27 MPG does seem a bit low overall for a car of this era. If the GLA could pump out 35 MPG that would be a blessing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
30.5 mpg on my last tank. I drove with the cruise on at 55 mph and tried to keep the rpm's at 1,500 in the bit of in town driving that I do. I am sure I can do better as I had to run it at closer to 2,000 rpm to make a meeting 20 miles away.

·
Registered
71 Posts
30.5 mpg on my last tank. I drove with the cruise on at 55 mph and tried to keep the rpm's at 1,500 in the bit of in town driving that I do. I am sure I can do better as I had to run it at closer to 2,000 rpm to make a meeting 20 miles away.
Good to know you're being very mindful of how you drive.

I always found it to be helpful to find a 'target RPM range' where I can use the least amount of RPM's to get my vehicle up to speed with the posted speed limit as well as doing it in such a way that stays with the flow of traffic.

Doing that has helped a lot with my MPG rating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am

For my GLA; 5.5 litres / 100 km or 1.21 gallons / 100 km because my GLA has the smallest engine type which is 1.5 diesel engine. Maybe you do not know the name of this type (probably you never come a cross:) calling GLA 180 cdi

Have a nice day

·
Registered
37 Posts
I regularly get 31 mpg on my way to work according to what it says in the dashboard.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
33.1 MPG from St. Louis to Indy last weekend. Cruise set at 77 MPH.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have a hilly commute. Last month I made one trip to town which is more less down hill 500' and 17 miles long and the computer had me at 43.5 mpg. I had a good wind assist that day. Generally I am finding the computer over estimates my miles per gallon by 1 mpg. All of my worst tanks had the roof racks on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in Australia, we have the GLA 200 / 250/45. I have the 200 which is the 2.2 diesel, have only had it a couple of weeks but getting over a 1000 klms per tank (aprox 620 miles) and showed 5.0 ltrs per 100 ( 56mpg) I have had several diesel cars in the past and decided to go that way again as I still get great looks with still good power but pick up great economy....... I know diesel cars in the states are a rarity, but well worth a look into. I also noticed premium petrol is 93 octane, here it is 98 but of course we pay a whole lot more for fuel.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I guess my average of 22.6mpg is fine for the 45 since I seem to be averaging 21 mph in my daily commute? And yes, part of that is on the highway. This is just a full tanks worth of data, I reset it after filling it up last week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I punch it when I have to. Intersections, highway ramps, driveway pullouts. Ive had my license suspended in the past for speeding but have grown up since. Generally a smooth driver on the back roads but in the left lane on the highway about 99% of the time.

I'll just say people who know me - family, friends - are always giving me sh1t for my preference for speed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
When the highway traffic is light and I "control" myself, I get decent mpg, even in sport mode.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Question for the GLA45 in sport mode does it go into the final gear? I noticed in other cars when you put it in DS mode or sport mode the the throttle response is better but does not go into the final gear on the highways, killing MPG.

But from your 31.7mpg looks like it does

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've never really noticed or paid too much attention, one thing that does bug me with the instrument cluster display is that they could squeeze in a few more info in there, too much wasted negative space.

Like it would be nice if they showed what gear you are on even if you are on Eco or Sport mode. It would fit nicely right there in between the temperature and clock. Maybe there is an option in the settings but I don't really want to switch up my typical cluster display (which displays the radio setting so I could switch channels with the steering wheel control, I do wish those controls switches up the channel no matter whats on the cluster).

·
Registered
29 Posts
You get better MPG if you drive mostly highway and cruise it under 70, you can average 27-28 But with City you are down to 22.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question for the GLA45 in sport mode does it go into the final gear? I noticed in other cars when you put it in DS mode or sport mode the the throttle response is better but does not go into the final gear on the highways, killing MPG.

But from your 31.7mpg looks like it does
Only had mine for a little over a hundred miles, but I did notice the other day that in S it steadfastly refused to use 7th at 75, while in C it would. If I hit the paddles to go to 7th, half a minute later despite being on flat ground, it just shifted back to 6th. I doubt it has much of an impact on consumption as its only about a 250 RPM difference at that speed.

Personally I've committed to driving in M anyway. More involving. So far on a brand new motor screwing around to alter revs for break-in, I'm reading 24.2 over all. Pretty pleased with that considering the newness and the power. BTW, for those with more experience, do the MPG readings tend to be relatively accurate or are they a few MPG on the high side?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts