Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
discounting all the short trips and hoonage, i am getting 29.5,according to the computer, on the highway at 80 mph in the 45 which seems very good

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I was also suprised some of the corners I would be taking at 70 mph in my G35 I was hitting at 75 mph in the GLA. :)
It is SHOCKING how great the handling is on the GLA!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I gained 1-2 mpg's (Sometimes 2, but I usually drive like a juvenile) just by switching to lighter wheels and tires. Less rotating mass and unsprung weight to spin. If you want to go hardcore and never have passengers, take out the back seat lol Less weight makes the vehicle more efficient to do it's work. The stock wheels and run-flat tires are VERY heavy for such a small vehicle.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I think this thread cursed my MPG
SOoooooo many factors could be at play.

-Quality of gas
-True octane rating
-Heavy foot
-Different drive mode (S,M,E)
-Driver gained 100lbs... ;)
-Outside temperature (colder air tends to have more oxygen, creating more power and combustion)
-If it has been WINDY lately, creating more drag-coefficient

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
22.7 mpg on my third tank. I am itching to drive this car hard and see how it really performs. Who knows what the mpg will drop to that tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most of the gas has been Costco gas - always 92 octane.

Rain is falling which doesn't help. Heavier foot is probably the single greatest factor -- other than my winter weight :)

The MPG doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't get too low and something is wrong. The chart is just very consistent -- consistently negative.

·
Registered
13 Posts
4500 miles now as my daily driver and I'm averaging 30.1 mpg on the display. On a mostly highway trip from Hartford to Philly (460 miles roundtrip), I averaged 36.5....not bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hand calculations, please.
I only checked my consumption with a full tank on a 460 mile trip within a couple weeks of getting the car. 460 miles consumed ~12.6 gallons = 36.5mpg.
I haven't done the math on fill ups since then. The computer says I'm averaging ~30.1 mpg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just posted a 22.7 mpg on the last tank of gas. I had the MB roof racks on for this tank. I will taking those off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm averaging 23.1 mpg (according to the computer) with a mix of city and tollway/highway driving in Chicago. No roof rack but two or three days a week, I’ve been carrying some cargo (I’m slowly moving boxes and furniture out of storage to my new apartment). I’m sure the extra weight hurt the mileage a little bit. I'm also wondering if constantly running the auto temp control affects the mileage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
11 Tanks of gas, 82% highway driving, 3,252 miles tracked, averaging 24.5 mpg. My last tank 26.2 mpg.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just filled up with my second tank of gas, and averaged 27.2 MPG, which is a bit better than the trip computer's 25.5 estimate for all miles since I bought the car. I tried to include my Fuelly badge in my signature but it doesn't seem possible with the current forum permissions. :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
26.9 my best tank. I am averaging 24.7 mpg. 15 fill ups 4,492 miles tracked. I always use premium 92 octane but this last tank of gas also 92 octane was out of state and a sticker on the pump said it contained no ethanol. I may want to consider going back to the expensive gas station in town I use for my motorcycles that carries no ethanol 92 octane.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My fuelly average is 24.7. So I decided to try my commute at 56 to 55 miles per hour. I wanted to check to see if the 32 mpg highway was even realistic for my car. It is. I have driven my 16 mile commute three legs at this speed. By the computer I am getting over 33 mpg to town which is down hill, 500 feet elevation drop. I am getting just under 32 on my way home which is up hill. The motor is running at 1,500 rpm.

It is good to know if gas prices get out of control again I can achieve the 30 + mpg that I bought this car for.

Now back to the other reason I bought this car----driving in the front of the pack.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts