Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 GLA 45 and my buddy has a 2018 CLA 45. When I plug my Mercedes reader tool on his car I have the option to reset / view ethanol / Flex fuel content. I don't have that option on my 2017 GLA 45. When I was looking at parts online, I found out that there are 2 different variants of low pressure tank fuel pumps that MB offers for my GLA 45 but they are both not compatible with e85. Now when I switch the car to the 2018 CLA 45, there are a total of 3 pumps. 2 of them are the same exact model numbers as mine but a 3rd is with E85 compatibility. My question is can I install the E85 compatible pump on my 2017 GLA 45 and have everything work together? I want the pump to automatically adjust for ethanol content in my tank and push more power. Here are the part numbers:

246-470-16-94 (2017 GLA 45 & 2018 CLA 45 Compatible)
246-470-09-94-64 (2017 GLA 45 & 2018 CLA 45 Compatible)
246-470-11-94 (2018 CLA 45 Compatible) E85 Variant.

·
Registered
FBO Stage 2 2016 GLA 250 4Matic.
3 Posts
I have a 2017 GLA 45 and my buddy has a 2018 CLA 45. When I plug my Mercedes reader tool on his car I have the option to reset / view ethanol / Flex fuel content. I don't have that option on my 2017 GLA 45. When I was looking at parts online, I found out that there are 2 different variants of low pressure tank fuel pumps that MB offers for my GLA 45 but they are both not compatible with e85. Now when I switch the car to the 2018 CLA 45, there are a total of 3 pumps. 2 of them are the same exact model numbers as mine but a 3rd is with E85 compatibility. My question is can I install the E85 compatible pump on my 2017 GLA 45 and have everything work together? I want the pump to automatically adjust for ethanol content in my tank and push more power. Here are the part numbers: 246-470-16-94 (2017 GLA 45 & 2018 CLA 45 Compatible) 246-470-09-94-64 (2017 GLA 45 & 2018 CLA 45 Compatible) 246-470-11-94 (2018 CLA 45 Compatible) E85 Variant.
Considering that there aren't any other replies from anyone else that has taken modifying the GLA to your extent, I would show the part to an independent tuner and have them inquire about it. That would only be in terms of wether or wether not that specific part can indeed handle the task that you are setting up to it. They would also be able to let you know if you had to install a specific flex-fuel tune to run e85. The pump is only one part of it. As for compatibility, I took a look at the listing, MB has a section where it discusses the cross-compatibility. It does indeed look like it is good to go onto the 250, and 45 AMG. Best of luck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I for one not been replying because I don't have first-hand experience.

Folks on here have converted. The process seems to simply require the Alpha HPFP and a tune. Weistec will give you a tune.

I have heard of noone running in a flexfuel capacity. Only all-in, E85 or pump gas.

What are the long term consequences? No idea. Maybe your LPFP will rust out in a year :). Maybe you are GTG.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If 2 parts are cross compatible, why cant the third one be as well? They list that fuel pump on the GLA 250 compatibility but not on the GLA 45? It doesn't make sense. I think it should work as a direct replacement. I want to give it a try but I need some advice from others to see if it is possible to just do a direct replacement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I for one not been replying because I don't have first-hand experience.

Folks on here have converted. The process seems to simply require the Alpha HPFP and a tune. Weistec will give you a tune.

I have heard of noone running in a flexfuel capacity. Only all-in, E85 or pump gas.

What are the long term consequences? No idea. Maybe your LPFP will rust out in a year :). Maybe you are GTG.
You should try it first since you pretty much have done everything on yours 😉

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Ethanol burns relatively cleaner and innately has very high octane (in the range of Sunoco race gasoline).

However, very deleterious effects to in-contact rubberoid seals and it innately attracts ambient moisture. I use StaBil 360 marine formula regularly in our GLA250 to stave off the latter in particular given my state's mandated E15.

Ethanol also has considerably less chemical energy than gasoline per equivalent volume. Therefore a good deal more must be used for equivalent performance. That's the dirty little secret of ethanol mpg, or lack thereof, that never seems to get any press.

Ok, got that off my chest. Carry on.

·
Super Moderator
2,186 Posts
Got it off your chest??? Ethanol was a provision of the Farm Bill. Strictly political. It has nothing to do with environment, when considered cradle to grave. It robs mpgs. It transfers food crop land to non food waste land. It destroys seals and pumps. It basically says older vehicles are no longer viable. I could go on!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For anyone wondering, this is the 2018 CLA 45, this option shows up on the reader, but not on my 2017 GLA 45. If I can run E30 gas and click on this option, the car should adjust for more fuel flow based off of ethanol in the fuel. This would wake the car up and potentially gain 20+ HP and even more torque from this. After putting some Ethanol in my buddy's car and pressing this option, it really woke the car up, you definitely feel that power.

Blue Gadget Audio equipment Motor vehicle Display device

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to belabor my point, but I too could go on and on. My Congressional representatives have only given me the [literal] party line when I've written to them requesting that we return to 'pure' gasoline. 🤷‍♂️
Got it off your chest??? Ethanol was a provision of the Farm Bill. Strictly political. It has nothing to do with environment, when considered cradle to grave. It robs mpgs. It transfers food crop land to non food waste land. It destroys seals and pumps. It basically says older vehicles are no longer viable. I could go on!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
"Adjust for more fuel flow..." as again more ethanol is needed to offset its lower chemical energy per unit volume compared to pure gasoline. Not much "wake up" given the relatively small increase in octane from E30. Could easily accomplish and more with 93 octane gasoline (which alas I run since we have no 91), a gasoline octane booster, or topping up with race gas (typically 100 octane or better). Guess I wasn't done. 😛

Be reminded that although octane rating is important to preclude engine knock (aka ping, pre-detonation, dieseling) a higher octane than you need for your intended operation is a waste of money. Conversely the ECU will retard timing to self-protect if too low an octane is sensed.

Thankfully in general aviation there's no ethanol (even then fuel is pre-flight checked for invasive water). At least our politicians aren't that stupid and/or politically self-serving. :)
For anyone wondering, this is the 2018 CLA 45, this option shows up on the reader, but not on my 2017 GLA 45. If I can run E30 gas and click on this option, the car should adjust for more fuel flow based off of ethanol in the fuel. This would wake the car up and potentially gain 20+ HP and even more torque from this. After putting some Ethanol in my buddy's car and pressing this option, it really woke the car up, you definitely feel that power.

View attachment 27873

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Adjust for more fuel flow..." as again more ethanol is needed to offset its lower chemical energy per unit volume compared to pure gasoline. Not much "wake up" given the relatively small increase in octane from E30. Could easily accomplish and more with 93 octane gasoline (which alas I run since we have no 91), a gasoline octane booster, or topping up with race gas (typically 100 octane or better). Guess I wasn't done. 😛

Be reminded that although octane rating is important to preclude engine knock (aka ping, pre-detonation, dieseling) a higher octane than you need for your intended operation is a waste of money. Conversely the ECU will retard timing to self-protect if too low an octane is sensed.

Thankfully in general aviation there's no ethanol (even then fuel is pre-flight checked for invasive water). At least our politicians aren't that stupid and/or politically self-serving. :)
You answered every question i didn't ask lol. I'm only asking if this pump is cross compatible like the other pumps are..

·
Registered
37 Posts
been running E85 (via a tune) during the latter half of the spring until mid-fall for the last couple years (since 8/20). i've detailed my experience on here.

will switch back to gas next month.

i run zero extra hardware parts aside from the usual bolt-ons.

gas and oil aren't that great for the environment. electrical vehicles are awful for the environment too. a bicycle would prob be the best bet for anyone this concerned, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts