Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 9 months ago I took delivery of a CLA 45 and after a good break-in, installed the Renntech tune--huge difference when used with 93 octane. I have about 850 miles on the GLA 45 now, so I will be doing the same with it.
I did not experience any difficulties with the unit, no check engine or other issues, just a nice extra kick. Since we are only talking about a 12% or so increase of power, that would seem to be well within safety tolerances. I can't vouch for what might happen with warranties, but in searching the threads, I haven't seen anyone being told that they were not covered. Just remove before going to your hopefully friendly dealer...
I have used Renntech tunes on my C63 and my wife's SLK 55's in the past and the performance boost on this car is the most noticeable ; probably because it hooks up so well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Nice, good to hear your end of it.

Would you consider doing other modifications, like an air intake system, exhaust, etc... that would be easy to undo for warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't personally, but I have the AMG performance exhaust and I am not aware of a true intake system that would provide any benefits. On a setting of 5 on 93 the Renntech will yield sub 4 second 60's with launch control. I think that the stock items are pretty well optimized, so I am not sure that anything short of boost or gears would provide a noticeable gain. One drawback to the taller tires is taller gearing and that hits you on acceleration. 18's will beat 19's or 20's to 60 in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered some days ago a after market exahust for my GLA 45. The exahust are from Supersprint. For me the stock sound is good, but not perfect. So this will help not in HP, but at least will turn some necks in the city :p
Y also ordered a CPU to increase HP to 420 from Loewenstain. Once I get it next week I can share my experience!

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's quite a few new cars that you've picked up in a short time. Good for you.

What exactly should the improvements be to the GLA once you install a chip?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's quite a few new cars that you've picked up in a short time. Good for you.

What exactly should the improvements be to the GLA once you install a chip?
better gas milage, sprint, and revs. Plus adding an aftermarket exahust is always a must to reprogram the ECU for that prupose.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like you have some nice plans for your GLA. Can't wait to see some updates on your progress as you get this underway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's really interesting to see whats starting to come out. I personally can't wait to see what the aftermarket will bring for these cars/engine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
About 9 months ago I took delivery of a CLA 45 and after a good break-in, installed the Renntech tune--huge difference when used with 93 octane. I have about 850 miles on the GLA 45 now, so I will be doing the same with it.
I did not experience any difficulties with the unit, no check engine or other issues, just a nice extra kick. Since we are only talking about a 12% or so increase of power, that would seem to be well within safety tolerances. I can't vouch for what might happen with warranties, but in searching the threads, I haven't seen anyone being told that they were not covered. Just remove before going to your hopefully friendly dealer...
I have used Renntech tunes on my C63 and my wife's SLK 55's in the past and the performance boost on this car is the most noticeable ; probably because it hooks up so well.
Not owning a GLA45 yet, do these vehicles have a boost gauge? Stock they boost to 26.1psi, which is a lot. It looks like the RENNtech graphs show that they give you a couple hundred more RPM high end, and their stated HP/TQ adds are very impressive. But they don't show what added boost they are putting into it. I'd be a little concerned pushing these much past the 26.1psi.

Reactions: rayman

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not owning a GLA45 yet, do these vehicles have a boost gauge? Stock they boost to 26.1psi, which is a lot. It looks like the RENNtech graphs show that they give you a couple hundred more RPM high end, and their stated HP/TQ adds are very impressive. But they don't show what added boost they are putting into it. I'd be a little concerned pushing these much past the 26.1psi.
No boost gague. I think they provide more boost at certain rpms and throttle inputs than what the stock ecu provides, not necessarily a big increase of max boost. If you look at a graph of percentage of increase in hp you get a max value at around 3100 rpm of + 30% and then tails off pretty quickly, this corresponds with what you feel behind the wheel. Check out the chart halfway down this page
Willall Racing - AMG A45/CLA Phase I

·
Registered
205 Posts
No boost gague. I think they provide more boost at certain rpms and throttle inputs than what the stock ecu provides, not necessarily a big increase of max boost. If you look at a graph of percentage of increase in hp you get a max value at around 3100 rpm of + 30% and then tails off pretty quickly, this corresponds with what you feel behind the wheel. Check out the chart halfway down this page
Willall Racing - AMG A45/CLA Phase I
Can't believe you can't monitor your boost. This is also how you can get greater gas mileage if you wanted (staying out of the boost if you can).

Willall mentions stage 1 is meant to map to Australian 98 or 100 octane gas. Does this rating mean the same thing in the US? If so, you won't be finding pump 98 here. As I recall the RENNtech page mentioned they were working off of premium 93 octane. In any case, the HP/TQ curves pretty closely match stock. No change in turbo, intake, so it's still surprising mercedes left this much on the table. Not so much with the 250, those numbers have always disappointed me, but to be able to add 20-30% to the GLA 45's super impressive numbers is huge. Almost 400HP from a 2.0 turbo basically stock with a tune.:D Wow. That would surprise A LOT of serious performance car owners.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I've just fitted willall racing engine management system with K&N air filter different restricor and if you look at the original Mercedes air box intake it's very conservative ("vee don't vont too much noise" MB ) to me I can now here an induction roar it's not pronounced like
A Subaru been played with just a good hearty sound.
She will now but out around 450 BHP as we run on 98 here and eflex wish is even better.
The new kit now has the ability to change the system settings by Bluetooth so one less thing to remove before going in for servicing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Almost a full year after my first post, I can report that the Renntech tune has developed a problem that Renntech is looking into. I believe that it may be in the harness, but they are going to have my Renntech dealer put the ECU on line so that they can run diagnostic. If clean, they will provide a replacement harness. All in all, the tune has been great and I do not feel that the product is a problem, just needs fixing. I run on 93 octane at all times-

Cheers, Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts