Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
322 Posts
Here we’ve highlighted 10 of many modifications, accessories & add-ons for your Mercedes GLA, most of them tried and tested by our members. From exciting performance modifications to necessary accessories such as all weather mats and roof racks, it’s covered here. Keep an eye on the forum and this topic for latest developments, and don’t forget to click through the hyperlinked text for more information.

Carlssön C-Tronic

I am shocked. I honestly was a bit skeptical how much a difference a piggyback ECU would truly make, but I can definitely feel the torque now. This is how it should have come from the factory.

I do have extra mods that others do not have, like the HG Motorsports intake, engine mount upgrade, muffler delete, etc. so my results may differ... However, my GLA250 is a LOT more fun now! >:D I would now believe the dyno numbers Carlssön has shown on youtube. Definitely making over 300ft/lbs torque now.

I also want to let you know, that I will be doing a catless downpipe with a new tune eventually, so I won't feel bad about the possibility of selling this to another forum member someday, it really does WORK!
Bolting on Up to 27 HP & 53 TQ in less than 3 Min

Aftermarket Intakes & Exhausts
(See Also: New GLA 45 owner to be question re: AMG Sport vs Performance Exhaust)

HG Motorsports has an intake and catback. Just search under CLA250, all the parts fit.

There are a few turbo-back exhausts for the GLA250 as well, Armytrix and Milltek.

I do not recommend a turboback until a proper tune is made to handle the flow of a 3 inch downpipe.
OMG the Armytrix exhaust sounds insane on the CLA45AMG!
Armytrix Performance Exhaust

Performance Exhaust System by HG Motorsports

Lowering Springs

Carbon Fiber Impressions - Interior

So I decided to be the guinea pig for the CarID interior kit.

Overall, very pleased. However, I didn't set the bar real high...

It really is very nice, definitely real carbon fiber, and only one piece in the kit had a fitment issue.

I ended up only using about 30% of the whole kit, as it looked like absolute, tacky overkill with everything installed.

What I really liked, was all the great flexible pieces that molded around the steering wheel, dash and gauges.

Here's the few pieces i kept:
Click Here to see All Carbon Fiber Interior Trim pictures

Changing Non-AMG Grill to AMG Style

Hi, NTT. As you may have noticed, I have uploaded the pics of the installed AMG front grille, it's a bit cold here in Toronto, Canada, so I took the pics quickly.

My baby underwent her surgery late last week via a local body repair shop that I've been working with for the past 7 or 8 yrs now (in short, trusted and worthwhile). Paid CAN$170 in cash and here are my notes while I watched two (2) body repair experts worked on my baby:

- Take off silver screws under bumper (7 in total)
‎- Take off 5 black screws on top
- Take off black plastic clips (looks like screws but are NOT) underneath fender ‎(3 big ones) and two small black ones
- ‎pull/bend underneath fender to unscrew (tool used has a lot of extension adapters) 2 screws, one of the guys started grilling into the plastic behind fender to separate plastic cover of fender
- they use a heat dryer occasionally to prevent breaking/cracking due to our lovely - 27 (with windchill) Celsius temp, yes, you read it right: negative twenty-seven!
‎- unclip the plastic of the fender and the lower part of the bumper gently
- bumper is now off
- unplug signal light connections
- unclip front sensor from ‎bumper
At this point, the owner of the body repair shop told me to back off and leave the premises because his guys felt my presence was too close for comfort (even if they've known me for a while)
- from a distance, they unclip the star logo (took them about 15 mins) using a heat dryer regularly to prevent cracking
‎- from here, reverse steps to put back bumper

Yes, it was painful to watch, but what to do!

Click Here to see All Front Grille/Bumper Removal Photos

Diamond Grille on the GLA

I sure would! I think it would look great!

I assume the CLA and A-Class grills wouldn't fit in the GLA?

Are there any aftermarket option for it yet by any chance?
I thought the CLA 250 and CLA45 front nose pieces are a different shape thus the standard CLA250 grill would not fit a CLA45 and that would be the same for the GLA?? No???
My dealer said would not fit but I will get somehow for my AMG looks awesome I reckon

Plasti-dipped 'Skid Plate'

Yes indeed, I dipped the star and grill as well. And my chrome trim around the windows.

I will snap some more pictures next visit to the car wash :)

Make sure you take your time masking!
Here's my results

All Weather Floor Mats

Hello.
I am a new owner of a GLA250 and asked the dealer about all weather floor mats which they do not have.
Has anyone found and bought all weather floor mats for the GLA?
I've seen the Weathertech website but reviews are mix, either a perfect fit or terrible fit plus horrible customer support.
Please help.
Got mine on Wednesday and installed them yesterday. They fit perfectly and didn't take forever to arrive. They are high quality but I do wish that the material had more grip like rubber and the channeling was deeper. Very pleased. While my infinity allweather (from the dealer) have deeper channels and a more rubber like material which is better in Chicago winters the Weathertech's look and fit much better than the others on the G. Being fair the Mercedes retentions are much better than the Initini's because they are snapped in as opposed to hooked in with a grommet. Very happy that they were only $200. Next is a cargo area liner after I get done with holiday shopping for the little one and the wife.
I just went to the Weather Tech factory store (in Bolingbrook, IL) this past Sunday and picked up front and rear mats for my GLA. They fit perfectly and don't slide around. They feel fine, so far...but have only had them for a day and a half. The drivers side mat snaps in place, perfectly. No complaints.
Got the whole set of WeatherTech Floorliners and figure I'd post pics since there aren't many out there on the GLA.

Fit is just about perfect.

I was going to get the MB version (price is similar to the WeatherTechs) but I placed the order on these and was unable to cancel the order.

Click Here to see 6 Photos of What WeatherTech Floor Mat Fitment Is Like

Sunroof and Roof Rack Issues: Solution Inside!
See also:

I have just taken delivery of my new GLA with Sunroof + Roof Racks only to find out that the sunroof will not open. The dealer fitted Mercedes roof racks prevent the sunroof from opening.

Any suggestions / recommendations on solving this?
That's absolutely the case, can confirm. I purchased the Mercedes Roof Rack and it is built to stop the stop the sunroof from opening. There are bumpers build into the rack that the sunroof 'hits' when it opens that tell it not to open. The back of the sunroof can still be tilted open to provide airflow. This is in the roof rack manual itself.

I returned the roof rack after two days, it had a horrible amount of wind noise and the dealership validated it was installed perfectly. I don't need a roof rack before the spring, so I'm hoping Thule or Yakima have one that works.
Solution:
yes mine didn't open either, I did cut off the two rubber boots on the front part of the bars therefor allowing the roof to open part of the way :)
From Thule Support

From Thule Support-

Here are the two Thule Fits for your 2015 Mercedes GLA:

Aeroblades:

Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R (Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R - Thule)
Thule Aeroblade Load Bar Pair ARB47 (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...hule-aeroblade-load-bar-pair-arb47-_-arb47999)
Fit Kit 4049

Square Bars:

Thule Podium Foot Pack 460 (Thule Podium Foot Pack 460 - Thule)
Thule 50 Inch Load Bar Pair LB50 (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...-bars/thule-50-inch-load-bar-pair-lb50-_-3565)
Fit Kit 4049
I bought the Thule rack with the aerobars, it is terrific. No road noise, and low profile looks clean, and you can open the sunroof with no problems. IMO, so much better than the manufacturer option which I returned.
That's what i wanted to hear, it's expensive but i think i will go for that and the yakima frontloader. Yes, i think fit kit 4049 is required for the aeroblade. I was about to order it from thule direct but they couldn't tell me if it would incur sales tax until after the order was placed which seems a little ridiculous.

Stainless Steel AMG Door Pins

CLA tapered door pins DO fit the rear of the GLA

First off apologies for any confusion.

I spent some time this morning and took off my door panels to see why the door pin was not coming off. During that process I was able to confirm that the tapered large door pins DO fit properly.

As you can see from the images (Click Here), the engineer just decided to have some fun and applied so much glue to the pin that it took me over 5 minutes of pulling on the pin with a wrench before it would come off.

Once it was off I was able to simply screw on me other two tapered pins which fit perfectly.

For those that want/need to take off the door panel, it is really easy and takes about 5 min. You need to first remove the aluminum trim with a flathead screwdriver or plastic prybar. Once that is off you'll need a Torx T30 driver to remove the two screws. Once those are off use the screwdriver/prybar to go around the door to pop the orange door plugs Once you can get your fingers in there you can just pull next to the plug and it will pop out. Once done you can lift the door off but it will still be connected by two wires. BE CAREFUL with the wires so they do not come undone. You can then access the door pin easily by hanging the door panel by the wires (CAREFULLY :)). Once done reverse the steps and push in the orange plugs. Done.
CLA tapered door pins DO fit the rear of the GLA

First off apologies for any confusion.

I spent some time this morning and took off my door panels to see why the door pin was not coming off. During that process I was able to confirm that the tapered large door pins DO fit properly.

As you can see from the images, the engineer just decided to have some fun and applied so much glue to the pin that it took me over 5 minutes of pulling on the pin with a wrench before it would come off.

Once it was off I was able to simply screw on me other two tapered pins which fit perfectly.

For those that want/need to take off the door panel, it is really easy and takes about 5 min. You need to first remove the aluminum trim with a flathead screwdriver or plastic prybar. Once that is off you'll need a Torx T30 driver to remove the two screws. Once those are off use the screwdriver/prybar to go around the door to pop the orange door plugs Once you can get your fingers in there you can just pull next to the plug and it will pop out. Once done you can lift the door off but it will still be connected by two wires. BE CAREFUL with the wires so they do not come undone. You can then access the door pin easily by hanging the door panel by the wires (CAREFULLY :)). Once done reverse the steps and push in the orange plugs. Done.
I installed all four door pins in less than 10 minutes (probably half the time was to take a few pictures) and DID NOT have to remove any of the door panels. Unlike Humblepie I did not find any evidence of adhesive use on the door pins (maybe there was a production change or the glue engineer was asleep when my GLA was built :eek: )

Just used a microfiber cloth and a pliers and carefully unscrewed the OEM pins (on all 4 doors) and then screwed in the OEM AMG door pins. Spent a long time :) deciding on which way the AMG on the pins should be facing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A Few Adds

I've made a few additions to my GLA 45 AMG since taking ownership five weeks ago. This includes tinting the windows, adding "AMG" tire valve stem caps, WeatherTech floor mats, WeatherTech cargo liner, the center console storage bin, a slim-line chrome license plate frame and badges adjoining the license plate frame:

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
@Cleve Hardman nice additions, hopefully no one steals your AMG valve stem caps due to how easy they are to steal and the frequency which they are stolen.

What other modifications/accessories are you planning to get?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was surprised that my Mercedes valve stem caps were never stolen from my previous E350 Coupe. My wife has MINI logo caps on her car and those have not yet been stolen. But it would not be a shock if they disappear. I was able to get them for less than $7, including shipping and they are metal - not plastic. I probably should have an extra set or two just in case.

My next modification was just ordered - a dash camera. I just ordered a KDLINKS X1 along with a hard wire kit. This is one of those that incorporates GPS data into the video allowing you to track your route and your speed along with the video of the road. I have a GoPro camera and that allows me to produce some fun videos, but this one could be good for some road trips.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was surprised that my Mercedes valve stem caps were never stolen from my previous E350 Coupe. My wife has MINI logo caps on her car and those have not yet been stolen. But it would not be a shock if they disappear. I was able to get them for less than $7, including shipping and they are metal - not plastic. I probably should have an extra set or two just in case.

My next modification was just ordered - a dash camera. I just ordered a KDLINKS X1 along with a hard wire kit. This is one of those that incorporates GPS data into the video allowing you to track your route and your speed along with the video of the road. I have a GoPro camera and that allows me to produce some fun videos, but this one could be good for some road trips.
It depends on where you live, if in NYC, then you can be they'll go missing :D But being something cheap, it wouldn't worry me much.

Good call on getting that camera. It'll also help in case you get into an accident, that sort of evidence goes a long way especially since it incorporates GPS data.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am honestly more worried about the grill tri-star being stolen, I don't want to give any ideas but if you do not have the stock star (non-distronic) then it is pretty **** easy to remove.

I know it's only going to be useful if you want an exra star for your GLA/CLA/A but I know people who used to pry off the Honda "H" just for the **** of it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I am honestly more worried about the grill tri-star being stolen, I don't want to give any ideas but if you do not have the stock star (non-distronic) then it is pretty **** easy to remove.

I know it's only going to be useful if you want an exra star for your GLA/CLA/A but I know people who used to pry off the Honda "H" just for the **** of it.
Might have to take your chances with it and aim to park in ways that make it harder for them to steal it.

You must live somewhere with a lot of savages that'd do such a thing :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello, everyone!

Hope you're all enjoying your baby!

Qchester's front and rear bumper project merits mentioning here, he did a great job, thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Some others on this forum have done this simple cosmetic mod for the seat adjust control on the doors…decided to change just a bit.

Here is before>>>

And after and the small change is I decided not to install the aluminum cover on the headrest adjust since I have the AMG Sport seats and the headrests are integral (and can not be adjusted) to the seats

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where did you buy the seat control buttons?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Procured on ebay… just search chrome inner seat adjuster covers. They are not really 'chrome' looking but rather match the finish that is on the interior door handle/opener

·
Registered
15 Posts
Roof Rack

I am adding the thule system to my gla250 hopefully all goes well i ordered the unit that is sleeker looking and will mount 2 bike skids can't wait. I will post pics when all done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I ordered the aluminum dash for my GLA45, I assumed it would be satin like all of the other aluminum trim. The actual brushed finish was very different than anything else in the cabin. I asked Schatz to make a matte version of their carbon fiber dash, and it looks fantastic - a total transformation. Now if I can just figure out how to get the airbag out, I'll add (and post) the carbon fiber steering wheel trim. Thanks circloco for steering me towards Schatz.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I ordered the aluminum dash for my GLA45, I assumed it would be satin like all of the other aluminum trim. The actual brushed finish was very different than anything else in the cabin. I asked Schatz to make a matte version of their carbon fiber dash, and it looks fantastic - a total transformation. Now if I can just figure out how to get the airbag out, I'll add (and post) the carbon fiber steering wheel trim. Thanks circloco for steering me towards Schatz.
That looks real nice schwarts11....:D
I have the silver dash and would't mind changing it but I havn't seen too many that are right hand drive...Ill keep looking I suppose

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wramir01 View Post
Hello.
I am a new owner of a GLA250 and asked the dealer about all weather floor mats which they do not have.
Has anyone found and bought all weather floor mats for the GLA?
I've seen the Weathertech website but reviews are mix, either a perfect fit or terrible fit plus horrible customer support.
Please help.

I was about to order WeatherTech mats for my new GLA 250 and noticed an eBay vendor (mercedespartswholesale_com) was selling the oem MB set of 4 mats for $155. delivered. Since this is substantially less than list price for either MB or WeatherTech mats I decided to give it a try. The box of 4 mats arrived in just a few days and installed in 5 minutes and they are a perfect fit! These are really classy looking mats and have the MB logo as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes... I got mine on eBay sold by MB of Warwick NH. I read elsewhere that the weatherTec all weather floor mats are hard, slippery and "plasticky". I like very much the MB rubberized mats, it got a very well fitted "bucket", it got a soft velvety feeling, and the rear one is one piece that covers the middle hump. The MB logo is very cool looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts