Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to get new tires. Narrowed it down to these two. I am in South Florida so no need for winter tires so do not really need all season but the All Seasons are $200 less total for 4 tires. Anyone have experience with these two tires? I assume the PS4 will be better traction but would love someone who has used both tires to chime in....Thanks!

For those who bought either of these tires, what was your end tread life mileage?

PS4 will be 235/45/19 with a 30k warranty
PSAS4 will be 245/45/19 with a 45k warranty

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
I'm a big fan of Michelin and have run both of these Summer and A/S (on Audi TTS). Also their PS dedicated Winter tires on 3 widely differing Audi's.
The Summer tires will give you a bit better performance, esp. cornering capability, but the A/S are surprisingly close.
If I were you and not needing the A/S I would pay the add'l funds for the somewhat better Summer performance.
However if you think you'll ever road trip north in the Winter than the A/S would be better.
Fortunately you can't lose either way. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a big fan of Michelin and have run both of these Summer and A/S (on Audi TTS). Also their PS dedicated Winter tires on 3 widely differing Audi's.
The Summer tires will give you a bit better performance, esp. cornering capability, but the A/S are surprisingly close.
If I were you and not needing the A/S I would pay the add'l funds for the somewhat better Summer performance.
However if you think you'll ever road trip north in the Winter than the A/S would be better.
Fortunately you can't lose either way. (y)
Really appreciate the reply! I think I am going to get the A/S and if I dont like it, Michelin offers a 30 day exchange and I will get the 4S then.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I would get the 4S first. All odds favor that being the tire you would prefer IMHO!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would get the 4S first. All odds favor that being the tire you would prefer IMHO!!!
Totally sure you are right but i would sacrifice a little performance to have better tread life so I dont have to buy tires every year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First, are you sure about the PS4s in the 235/45/19 size as my sense is you are actually looking a the Michelin PS4?
The PS4 comes in a 235/45ZR19/XL (99Y) MO BSW that we put on our 2018 GLA45 last spring. We drove on the PS4 skins for about 10K kms and loved the PS4 235/45ZR19/XL (99Y) MO in comparison with the Conti’s the car came with> far better experience The car drove better and road nicer with the PS4’s. Only in pelting rain did I ever feel the Conti was as good or better.

In February we traded the 2018 for a 2021 GLA45. It came with UHP 235/5019XL Yokohama tires. Not good for Toronto area in February so we switched them for the new Michelin PS All Season 4 tire before taking delivery, in good part because am tired of changing back and forth spring and fall and it was not safe to even drive the new 45 home on the UHP’s. After about 2500 kms (~1500 miles) am willing to report was rather pleased but they are not up to a summer UHP tire like the Pilot 4 or 4s nor are they fabulous winters like the Alpin so we returned the A/S under the trial period for credit, put the OEM tires back on (dealer still had them and we bought them back for $500 and arranged for our old winter AMG 18” wheels to get the appropriate TPS sensors, bought 3mm spacers so the wheel offset is right and ordered Michelin Alpin winter tires for this fall.

I mention all of this as a long way in concluding if you can run all year on UHP and you do not mind the cost of replacement about twice as often as the all season, my sense is go with the MSPN10651 235/45ZR19/XL (99Y) MO BSW tire rather than the longer wearing PSAS4’s though they are actually a very good tire and cost per mile will be half of the PS4 as they not only last longer but cost less!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, are you sure about the PS4s in the 235/45/19 size as my sense is you are actually looking a the Michelin PS4?
The PS4 comes in a 235/45ZR19/XL (99Y) MO BSW that we put on our 2018 GLA45 last spring. We drove on the PS4 skins for about 10K kms and loved the PS4 235/45ZR19/XL (99Y) MO in comparison with the Conti’s the car came with> far better experience The car drove better and road nicer with the PS4’s. Only in pelting rain did I ever feel the Conti was as good or better.

In February we traded the 2018 for a 2021 GLA45. It came with UHP 235/5019XL Yokohama tires. Not good for Toronto area in February so we switched them for the new Michelin PS All Season 4 tire before taking delivery, in good part because am tired of changing back and forth spring and fall and it was not safe to even drive the new 45 home on the UHP’s. After about 2500 kms (~1500 miles) am willing to report was rather pleased but they are not up to a summer UHP tire like the Pilot 4 or 4s nor are they fabulous winters like the Alpin so we returned the A/S under the trial period for credit, put the OEM tires back on (dealer still had them and we bought them back for $500 and arranged for our old winter AMG 18” wheels to get the appropriate TPS sensors, bought 3mm spacers so the wheel offset is right and ordered Michelin Alpin winter tires for this fall.

I mention all of this as a long way in concluding if you can run all year on UHP and you do not mind the cost of replacement about twice as often as the all season, my sense is go with the MSPN10651 235/45ZR19/XL (99Y) MO BSW tire rather than the longer wearing PSAS4’s though they are actually a very good tire and cost per mile will be half of the PS4 as they not only last longer but cost less!
Its the PS4 not the PS4s sorry about that. Appreciate the knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
I had a Tirerack tire rack 🤪 and played the seasonal swap game for a number of commuting years, but since downsizing I too go A/S and they've been fine for my needs. But I'm able to pick my snow travel, or not, days. In deep snow dedicated Winter tires still reign supreme.

But we're getting off the Florida-use topic. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is very little "in the field" long term with the PSAS4, as it is a very new tire, so would be guided by the relative treadware warrantees from Michelin and the UTQG's for each.
In Canada, we see 70K kms for the PSAS4 and 30K kms for the PS4. What you will get from either tire depends on how you drive it and how heavy your car is..... my sense is the PSAS4 will last about twice as long as the PS4 but this in merely based on the treadware warrantee and the UTQG for each tire 320 AA A and 540 AA A respectively.
If cost is relevant to you then the PS4 will cost you about US$0.01 per km and the PSAS4 in the order of US$0.004 per km. Cost per mile or kilometer, the P4 is about 2.5 times what the PSAS4 is, without including the cost of switching back and forth spring and fall nor does it include tire storage if you have limited space and have to pay for it.
The PS4 gives exceptional handling, ride and grip (wet and dry) but is a hazard in snow (like most any summer UHP tire) while the PSAS4 should deliver good handling, grip and ride and decent snow "mobility" (but not like an Alpin winter tire does).
In the end, you pays your money and you makes your choice.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts