Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thomas Weber who sits on Daimlers Board of Management has said that there could be room for up to 8 compact MFA based Mercedes models in the future.

Currently Mercedes only offers the A, B, CLA and GLA based on the MFA platform, but we could see big changes for the next generation. “If there is room for more in this segment in the future, why not?” Weber asked. “Not in this lifecycle, [maybe] in the next generation. Since we can demonstrate with our current platform with a huge variety of five completely different vehicles, and it’s clear from an engineering point of view that we could do more – seven, eight, why not?” he added.

So what could Mercedes have in mind? A true 2 door coupe could be useful to fight cars like BMW's 2 Series and Audi's TT, convertible as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is one thing they are doing:

"Mercedes-Benz A-Class has an Asian brother. Called the Infiniti Q30, the Audi A3/BMW 1-Series rival will see the daylight at the Frankfurt motor show, this September.

The new Infiniti Q30 hatchback is not only the Japanese company’s first compact car, but also the first fruit of the cooperation with Daimler. At its foundation we find Mercedes’ own MFA compact car platform. The same modular architecture underpinning the entire family of compact Mercedes-Benz models, including the current A-Class, B-Class, CLA and GLA brothers.

....."

Infiniti Q30. The Japanese A-Class is heading to Frankfurt - MercedesBlog

·
Registered
470 Posts
I want to see a small coupe to compete with the 2-series. They can actually just make the CLA a coupe similar to the E-Class Coupe.

Reactions: AMGz

·
Registered
694 Posts
I want to see a small coupe to compete with the 2-series. They can actually just make the CLA a coupe similar to the E-Class Coupe.
That they can and it would serve them well, just look how well the CLA did.

It might even give those that wanted a 1M an alternative that comes closer than what else is available currently.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That may be true but they better get started now than later so I don't mind them releasing one as soon as possible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am concerned about this statement from another blog on this topic (from Next generation Mercedes A-Class & B-Class family could have up to eight models ):

"...

If extra models will be launched, these will ride on the second generation of the MFA platform due in about three years and according to Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, ...

..."

Second generation due in about three years! If they change the platform the body will almost certainly be changed as well. I was hoping the current styling would live longer than that.

I realize the platform has been in use since 2012 but with MB scheduled to open a Brazil factory next year to build GLA's and with selling the platform to Nissan/Infinity for a 2016 model it doesn't seem as though it would be economically feasible to end it that soon.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
7 or 8 models does seem like a lot though. I wonder if they will end up like others and having a number of vehicles that are differentiated by just a hair. BMW is quite guilty of this and Infiniti has both the Q30 and the QX30 coming out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
By: Michael Gauthier, Journalist
28/09/2015 07:31
According to a recent report, the next-generation Mercedes A-Class could be offered in the United States.
While nothing has been announced, several Mercedes officials hinted at the possibility when talking to The Detroit Bureau. There's no word on when the model could arrive but it will likely be built at Daimler and Renault-Nissan's Mexican manufacturing joint venture called COMPAS (Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes).
The companies have been tight-lipped about specifics but they have already confirmed the plant will build the next-generation of compact models from Mercedes and Infiniti. The Infiniti variants are slated to begin rolling off the line in 2017, while the first Mercedes models will roll out a year later.

Next-generation Mercedes A-Class could be offered in America | Wcf news | Motor1.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.