Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes made their domination of the US Luxury SUV market CLEAR last month with impressive numbers.

MB SUV sales totalled 9,038 units, compared to 5,001 for Audi and 6,074 BMW's.

For Mercedes that translates to 34% of total Mercedes US brand sales in July, a figure I'm sure they are hoping will punch closer to 50% with the introduction of the GLA shortly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm surprised that Benz was able to outsell its rivals by so much. Its not that I don't like Benz SUVs, I just think that Audi and BMW have great products too. I would have thought that it would be closer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercedes sells the GLK, GL, G and ML to Audis Q5 and Q7 and BMW's X1, X3, X5 and X6 (X4 just on the market)

why do you think theyre all rushing to come out with as many models as the next guy...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think they just see the way economies are growing, where they can fit their products into those places and what the competition is doing, and what they can do to stay ahead.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So do you think that once the other companies catch up by putting more SUV/CUV models on the market things will even out, or is it that Mercedes Benz SUV models are also more popular?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Adding my $0.02 to this...

Mercedes still has a status of ballerness attached to it that many seem to still want even if it's breaking the bank for them. I just find that people look down on Lexus, Infiniti and then BMW, just a bit, when compared to MB. So for that reason it could hold more sales.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Infiniti, yes, Lexus, yes but better than Infiniti. As far as BMW goes, I think that it is not looked down on. If anything, people just stay away because it is so common among luxury cars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
when it comes to MB owners, I know a good portion of them do look down on MB, for a good portion of them it's also a bias they have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Infiniti, yes, Lexus, yes but better than Infiniti. As far as BMW goes, I think that it is not looked down on. If anything, people just stay away because it is so common among luxury cars.
thats the same thing as looking down upon it, you just used different words.

Keep in mind though that the Lexus RX is the king of Luxury SUV volume, adding in another CUV from the same vein as the RX can only win...

·
Registered
694 Posts
^ great point.
It's definitely going to help Lexus with getting it off the ground with the RX selling good as it does show Lexus can work well with that segment and going cheaper only makes it better for them when it comes to volume.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts