Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since so many on here are fans of Mercedes, not just the GLA, I decided to post a fun video link for you all!

I'm a producer/director by trade, mostly producing programming for Discovery and History channel. For the past 18 months we have been filming a series called "Curators Vault" a series that features the finest automotive museums in the world. Mostly shot in Europe and the US. Our first season ran on Velocity to very good ratings and was awarded two national Telly Awards. A few months ago we started filming the new second season, which will be released in January 2017.

Mercedes was one of my favorite museums from the first series, it's an amazing tour even if you care nothing about the brand. The museum covers 9 levels and tells the entire history of the automobile through the eyes of MB. This palace to the motorcar cost roughly $1 Billion to create when it opened to the public. If you ever find yourself anywhere near Stuttgart, it's a must see adventure. For those of you who have no plans to visit Germany anytime soon, I'm posting a link to this episode. (If you like the series, it can be seen in several places, but the easiest anytime, is on Hulu or Amazon Prime)

Enjoy the tour, hosted of course by the curator of the MB museum:
https://vimeo.com/90087791/cd6389404c

Reactions: turbolink

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nicely done!! Most interesting and look forward to seeing the museum this winter.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That is a great video! I didn't realize there had been a series of museums. I'm pretty sure that when I picked up my car in 1969 at Sindelfingen, the museum was there. Unfortunately the autobahn was calling, so we decided to hit the road rather than visit a museum. Many years ago, probably the late 50's or early 60's I followed a 300SL for a few miles that was motoring with it's gull wings in the air. Taking a chance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your kind comments, we have fun producing this series!

The 300SL is an icon, albeit an impractical one at that. The guy you saw motoring in one that day, was probably trying to cool off since the cars were known to be an oven inside on warm days, they did not have very good interior air circulation. I have a business associate that owns a 300SL convertible, before he sent it off for restoration about 6 months ago, he let me drive it briefly. That was a very cool experience to take for a spin! Somehow, I don't think I'll have that chance again once it's out of the restoration shop. His plans are to have it brought up to 100 points for show in concours events. Myself and his other partner tried to convince him to leave it alone and just enjoy it! But in the end he wanted a museum piece.

I fall on the side of the fence that classics are meant to be driven on some kind of semi-regular basis, not be a trailer-queen. But when they reach "art" status that becomes more impractical.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I fall on the side of the fence that classics are meant to be driven on some kind of semi-regular basis, not be a trailer-queen. But when they reach "art" status that becomes more impractical.

Agreed! I drive my '38 Chevy weekly from April through November.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for this beautiful documentary. It brings connection to the MB ingenuity story. The GLA comes out of talented "family".

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was there last year. This museum is really impressive ! 8 levels, many many cars including prototypes. My favorite is F600, project from over 10 year but even now looks very nice..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts